Are we being too hard on Grif?

ron883

What's a manager supposed to do when he inherits a garbage team with a broken culture? He can't make the players good. He says unrealistic things, but that's part of the job. He can't just say "we suck and won't win anything."

It's too hard to judge a manager when the talent is piss poor. Let's give Grif a chance with at least SOME talent before we judge him to harshly. When that will be, I don't know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

45 minutes ago, ron883 said:

What's a manager supposed to do when he inherits a garbage team with a broken culture? He can't make the players good. He says unrealistic things, but that's part of the job. He can't just say "we suck and won't win anything."

It's too hard to judge a manager when the talent is piss poor. Let's give Grif a chance with at least SOME talent before we judge him to harshly. When that will be, I don't know. 

The female Ron has overtaken you.

Step up your game Ron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The female Ron has overtaken you.

Step up your game Ron.

Who is this female Ron you speak of? I need to know. 

Edited by ron883

When the same person talks up a good game, preaches playing smart and hard, and completely gets the opposite results? No, not being to hard. Pedro doesn't have what it takes to be a major league manager. I'd be shocked if we ever see him manage a team again after his Sox tenure eventually ends.

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

When the same person talks up a good game, preaches playing smart and hard, and completely gets the opposite results? No, not being to hard. Pedro doesn't have what it takes to be a major league manager. I'd be shocked if we ever see him manage a team again after his Sox tenure eventually ends.

He'll wind up in the same place after he's fired, just like Williams and Hahn, completely out of baseball with no future prospects. 

I agree with your comments. Grifol shot his mouth off, acted tough and arrogant and the clubs under him have done s%*#. 

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Has to be like working for Dwight Schrute.

44 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I said if Thorpe came up I would s%*# on him like you shat upon Abreu regardless if he was good or not. 

Someone said, hey are you going to be the female Ron and I said with regard to Thorpe and Abreu, absolutely. 

Some context there was quite helpful...lol.

Soxtalk has spoken. Grifol sucks. He wasn't going to be given a chance because he was an unknown cheap hire from KC . Makes no sense to argue otherwise since I don't really think any manager could've done much better with the team he inherited.

If anyone thinks the Sox could've won 70 games last year with a different manager more power to them. They still would've been terrible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The corpse of TLR won a division with this team and had the same club hovering .500 the next year until the pressure nearly killed the man. 

Grifol had a giftwrapped roster of talent and they looked like they forgot how to play baseball. 

Need a new man at the helm in 2025.  Probably will be current AAA Manager J.J. since he will be ready for the bright lights.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

The corpse of TLR won a division with this team and had the same club hovering .500 the next year until the pressure nearly killed the man. 

Grifol had a giftwrapped roster of talent and they looked like they forgot how to play baseball. 

Need a new man at the helm in 2025.  Probably will be current AAA Manager J.J. since he will be ready for the bright lights.

Most inaccurate post in a long time. Did you even bother to look at the 2021 and 2023 rosters and stats.

Liam Hendriks has 38 saves in 2021 and 37 in 2022 . In 2023 he had cancer and pitched 5 innings.

Yasmani Grandal in 2021 had a .420 OBP and 155 OPS+ in 93 games . In 2023 118 games .309 OBP and 77 OPS+

Yoan Moncada in 2021 . 144 games, .375 OBP and OPS+ 116 . 2023 93 games .305 OBP and 97 OPS+

Carlos Rodon  2021 All-Star and 5th in Cy Young . 2023 not on team.

Lucas Giolito 2021 11th in Cy Young  178 IP 33 starts, 124 ERA+  . 2023 21 starts, 121 innings 118 ERA+ sucked bad with Angels and Guardians. Grifol got more from him than the managers of the Angels and Guardians.

Tim Anderson 2021 123 games, All-Star, 118 OPS+ . 2023 123 games , 60 OPS+

Lance Lynn 2021 3rd in Cy Young voting , All Star 163 ERA+, 3.32 FIP (career best). 2023 Lance Lynn  69 ERA+, 5.19 FIP and 6.16 FIP with the Dodgers after he was traded.

Dylan Cease 2021 was a better pitcher in 2021 than 2023 in just about every statistical category.

2021 Aaron Bummer another guy way worse in 2023 than in 2021 or 2022

Jose Abreu 14th in MVP voting . 2023 Abreu not on the Sox.

Crochet played a vital BP role in 2021. In 2023 he pitched 12 innings after TJ surgery

Giftwrapped a roster of talent . That's just simply nonsense. Cease Eloy, Moncada, Anderson all were pretty bad  but is that on Grifol ? Grandal, Abreu and Lynn aged to ineffectiveness. There was no Rodon, Giolito was not a Cy Young candidate and did worse on other teams in 2023 than he did with the Sox , Does Grifol get credit for that? There was no Abreu.

Vaughn was Vaughn, a guy who hasn't shown any high level talent running, fielding or hitting. Bummer sucked. Tim was unhappy because of Grifol ? or was his whole life in a tailspin ?

The best you can say is that the Sox core was injured a lot or inconsistent from year to year. Other guys aged . Robert had his best year under Grifol. Circumstances or does Grifol get credit ?

Not defending Grifol per se, just think your post was factually inaccurate and all the woes of 2023 shouldn't be layed at Grifols feet.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1