Jason >>>>>>>>>>> Hawk

ron883

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
It must have been a game that wasn't on CSN.

I'd advise you to maybe pay attention to the broadcasts yourself if you think the new guy so vastly out performs Hawk.

Twitter should be able to cure your lust for superlatives and instant overreaction, if you're looking for preparation and professionalism check out Jason Benetti.

Hawk is bad luck ! (green)

It's been apparent since we got to Baltimore that evil voodoo has hit the Sox. Smith injured, Robertson's bereavement, Webb injured, Avi tweaks a hammy, defensive wheels fall off when Lawrie makes an error and Rollins trips over an invisible foot.

All you practitioners of dark arts need to put a spell on the Orioles to counteract this hoodoo that has befallen us.

All you believers in Jobu must forget about Benetti and Hawk and concern yourselves with the crisis at hand.

Time is of the essence if Latos and Sale are to prevail.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 05:21 PM)
It kind of felt like going back to work a Monday after a vacation vs. any other Monday. It sets in and you're like, "oh, this again". I'm sure it was 100% Hawk's decision to cut back, but with them both doing the games, you can't help but compare.

Wow that's literally the perfect analogy and exactly how I feel.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 10:11 PM)
Twitter should be able to cure your lust for superlatives and instant overreaction, if you're looking for preparation and professionalism check out Jason Benetti.

Yeah that's me... superlatives and overreactions.

Quote me some posts.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 30, 2016 -> 01:55 AM)
Wow that's literally the perfect analogy and exactly how I feel.

lol. Awesome image. I f***ing hate that first back after vacation. All it makes me realize is that even though I own my own business I'm still just another rat on the treadmill.

Coming back to Hawk after Jason is extra poopish.

Hawk you da man! Thanks for teaching me how to talk cool as a young man growing up glued to your broadcasts. I hope we win the division this year for ya! You've done nothing but pour your heart into this team, this wonderful family that includes all the generations of fans, players, coaches etc. You've been like a second dad to many of us and I thank you for always keeping your broadcasts somewhat targeted to the kids- a real rarity in the today's game with all the robotic "voice guys" who never played sports.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 1, 2016 -> 03:56 AM)
Hawk ... a real rarity in the today's game with all the robotic "voice guys" who never played sports.

I hate the robotic voice guys' work. Jason at least seems to be copying Stoney and Hawk and talking like a normal guy. I wonder why 80 percent of all announcers do the robotic radio voice thing. It's annoying. Just talk in your normal voice, announcers. Like I said I'm glad Jason is doing the normal voice and not the robot.

Jason Benetti's home run call "Oh my goodness," is at worst, a pussification of a home run.

At best, Benetti simply used that trite expression because he could not come up with anything original or better.

A grandmother says "oh my goodness'.

I don't agree with Hawk's opinions and politics all the time and I understand he can't go on forever, but I would have liked to see him back full time this season. Instead of Benetti , I would have preferred that someone else be chosen as his successor, preferably a former major league player who has wit, personality and is more familiar with the game and the players. Benetti seems better suited to the radio side, not as the primary TV play to play man.

As long as he is doing that job though, I wish him well and hope he improves.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 1, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
Jason Benetti's home run call "Oh my goodness," is at worst, a pussification of a home run.

At best, Benetti simply used that trite expression because he could not come up with anything original or better.

I don't agree with Hawk's opinions and politics all the time and I understand he can't go on forever, but I would have liked to see him back full time this season. Instead of Benetti , I would have preferred that someone else be chosen as his successor, preferably a former major league player who has wit, personality and is more familiar with the game and the players. Benetti seems better suited to the radio side, not as the primary TV play to play man.

Benetti has broadcast 11 regular season games to this point.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
Benetti has broadcast 11 regular season games to this point.

Fair enough, but that's obviously not his point. No matter the experience he gets he'll never have played pro ball, he'll never understand the mental or physical side of the game, or anything relating to the human side of the game.

To Benetti, the players aren't men, they're just amusing little mice with statistics. To Hawk, the players are living breathing men in the trenches of a war, with injuries, differing levels of intellect, different strategies, different levels of nervousness, different backgrounds etc. things Benetti will never be able to comment on.

Thanks for telling me the guy's batting average benetti. I get it. He gets on base 34% of the time. That's what the number means. Oh, you want to use advanced statistics? How dare you act like you're teaching any of us baseball- you've never played.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and he'll be great. This is just my hazing period for him. And rightfully so. No Sox fan should just hand over the keys without him earning it. It'll be hazing season for a while, hopefully a long while. He's trying to replace one of the most unique and iconic broadcasting figures this world has and will ever see. A true master and a true legend.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 1, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
Fair enough, but that's obviously not his point. No matter the experience he gets he'll never have played pro ball, he'll never understand the mental or physical side of the game, or anything relating to the human side of the game.

To Benetti, the players aren't men, they're just amusing little mice with statistics. To Hawk, the players are living breathing men in the trenches of a war, with injuries, differing levels of intellect, different strategies, different levels of nervousness, different backgrounds etc. things Benetti will never be able to comment on.

Thanks for telling me the guy's batting average benetti. I get it. He gets on base 34% of the time. That's what the number means. Oh, you want to use advanced statistics? How dare you act like you're teaching any of us baseball- you've never played.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and he'll be great. This is just my hazing period for him. And rightfully so. No Sox fan should just hand over the keys without him earning it. It'll be hazing season for a while, hopefully a long while. He's trying to replace one of the most unique and iconic broadcasting figures this world has and will ever see. A true master and a true legend.

You know that how?

On the meatball scale, this post is a 9.5 out of 10. The trenches of war. You can only do this if you played the game. Thats rich. LOL

Edited by southsideirish71

Pretty hot take. I dont disagree perhaps in principle but at the end of the day the broadcast quality is higher with Jason. Hawk is past his shelf life. People get old.

I don't Hate Bennetti.... he seems pretty likable.

But I love Hawk... even though he is has his moments.

So many people hate Hawk as an announcer... because he is such a homer.

And that's why I love him for baseball... because of how much a homer he is - he feels the exact way I do.

Benetti is smart and has a good sense of humor.

Maybe some day he will learn to love the White Sox like Hawk does and I will sense that in his voice.

Or maybe it will just be another job for him ... we will see.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ May 2, 2016 -> 03:32 AM)

Is that his call? Oh my goodness? Yikes.

Turned the game on when I got home yesterday afternoon, immediately heard Hawk complaining about the umps, had it on mute the rest of the way. Ending road trips is even better this season, knowing that a listenable PBP guy is returning to the booth at home.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
Turned the game on when I got home yesterday afternoon, immediately heard Hawk complaining about the umps, had it on mute the rest of the way. Ending road trips is even better this season, knowing that a listenable PBP guy is returning to the booth at home.

harkness told me that this doesnt happen anymore. At least not in the past 2 years since he got a talking to. You must have been watching something else

This is baseball, THE statistics sport. A player today is much closer to a mouse with statistics than he is to Fasty McWiggington who played half a season in 1956.

No one wants to be told about "levels of nervousness" or "trenches of war" because in a good game, the feeling is tangible. You know the players are nervous because you're nervous. You don't need some bumbling idiot to tell you about it. Hawk has been unlistenable for at least 5 years.

I've now read approximately 950 defenses of Hawk proclaiming "PEOPLE DON'T LIKE HIM BECAUSE HE IS A HOMER BUT THAT IS WHY I LIKE HIM" since the last time I saw somebody complaining about him being a homer.

Let me tell ya folks, there are plenty of other reasons he's no longer good at his job. Him cheering for the Good Guys isn't even a factor.

I've said this in pretty much all of the 2,518 Hawk threads that we've had, but I'll say it again.

I don't dislike Hawk, I dislike the role he has/had. The homer guy who gets all excited for your team should be the color analyst, not the play-by-play guy. The play-by-play guy should be a professional broadcaster who has had some training in the discipline and preferably no connection to the team other than having been hired for that specific job.

The mistake was made long ago when he was given the PBP job in the first place, but once that happened they had to ride it out. At least they have now they have learned and not repeated the mistake.

I love Jason Benetti so far. Him and Stone seem to be hitting it off pretty good.

They have a good dry sense of humor thing going on. Caught myself laughing out loud couple times while watching the games.