White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
Anybody here know why MM's stats were off last season? Plus, he is not as good as Arenado. Just sayin.....

Common response from Orioles fan is that he had a "slow start".

Lots of people are ok with it, but this slow start was really about 3 months, or half of the entire season. You have posters trying to DFA Abreu for a similar stint over 3 weeks, so I hope it wouldn't become a chronic issue with Machado if he played here.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 01:41 AM)

Lots of people are ok with it, but this slow start was really about 3 months, or half of the entire season. You have posters trying to DFA Abreu for a similar stint over 3 weeks, so I hope it wouldn't become a chronic issue with Machado if he played here.

Great post. Sox fans, like almost all fans of all teams, tend to devalue their own players while overvaluing others. Human nature. The unknown is always better. People follow Abreu every day and see all his warts. Manny, meanwhile, is a concept. A great concept. GO SOX! Win the pennant someday with Avi and Abreu please!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)
Great post. Sox fans, like almost all fans of all teams, tend to devalue their own players while overvaluing others. Human nature. The unknown is always better. People follow Abreu every day and see all his warts. Manny, meanwhile, is a concept. A great concept. GO SOX! Win the pennant someday with Avi and Abreu please!

What are you even talking about.. goodness mate

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)

Solid post my man

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 06:00 PM)
The White Sox know that they have zero chance at winning a bidding war for Manny Machado on the open market. No one else will say it, but I will.

Sure they will be "competitive", and "make an impressive" offer, and maybe even be the 2nd highest bidder. They will even give the "bigger contract offered in the history of the franchise". But they won't be the top bidder, and they know it.

LMAO! Could you be more of a wet blanket on this, this being one of the more exciting times in very recent White Sox memory, with the Sox going this aggressively at acquiring a premium talent like Machado? Chr*st on a cracker, already!

Here we have for the first time in a long time - a very long time, mind you! - our BIG MARKET ball club talking like a BIG MARKET ball club about pursuing a premium talent like this, a soon to be available asset on the open market, AND giving fairly strong indications that they as a BIG MARKET club will have the ability to meet the market demands and sign the talent long term. When was the last time a White Sox fan was able to get excited about this kind of free agent prospect signing? Yet here you are reigning down with your typical Debbie Downer, “Why, the Sox could never, ever...do this or...do that...” nonsense. As if it were a fool’s errand to ever believe the team could make such an acquisition like this come true.

Why, then, should we believe your line of thinking on the unlikelihood of the Sox acquiring Machado vs. what the GM has recently and refreshingly suggested as a different approach when it comes to competing for talents such as his?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
LMAO! Could you be more of a wet blanket on this, this being one of the more exciting times in very recent White Sox memory, with the Sox going this aggressively at acquiring a premium talent like Machado? Chr*st on a cracker, already!

Here we have for the first time in a long time - a very long time, mind you! - our BIG MARKET ball club talking like a BIG MARKET ball club about pursuing a premium talent like this, a soon to be available asset on the open market, AND giving fairly strong indications that they as a BIG MARKET club will have the ability to meet the market demands and sign the talent long term. When was the last time a White Sox fan was able to get excited about this kind of free agent prospect signing? Yet here you are reigning down with your typical Debbie Downer, “Why, the Sox could never, ever...do this or...do that...” nonsense. As if it were a fool’s errand to ever believe the team could make such an acquisition like this come true.

Why, then, should we believe your line of thinking on the unlikelihood of the Sox acquiring Machado vs. what the GM has recently and refreshingly suggested as a different approach when it comes to competing for talents such as his?

Hold on a second here. You dislike Reinsdorf as an owner more than I do, yet you legitimately think the White Sox would pay up for a free agent like Machado? Or maybe you are just being facetious?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 10:12 PM)
Hold on a second here. You dislike Reinsdorf as an owner more than I do, yet you legitimately think the White Sox would pay up for a free agent like Machado? Or maybe you are just being facetious?

Not being facetious at all, but rather somewhat hopeful. Hahn went out of his way the other day to describe several different ways that he claims the Sox are trying to go about their business differently than in years past. Everything from a difference in draft strategy, to a reticence to dealing with the Cubs, all the way to their approach to dealing with free agency. Based on recent drafts and the recent trade last summer with the Cubs, I found his statements to be very credible, which is why I’m optimistic and excited about the team’s chances with acquiring this generational player named Machado.

I think it makes more sense for them to trade him at the deadline. Right now, everyone is like, 'but he's gone after one year, don't pay too much'.

Where at the deadline, teams are more focused on putting their team over the top to make a run at the World Series. Assuming there's a few contenders with holes that Machado could fill, they'll be able to get more then than they can right now.

This seems like one of those situations that the deadline has to be a better payoff for BALT:

1) His stats last year were so pedestrian compared to prior years, he was within 0.7 of Yolmer...the Orioles HAVE to be expecting a statistical rebound

2) What matches are there right now from the contending teams (that have a surplus of minor league talent they're willing to part with) where they desperately need to overpay to get him right now?

3) Which of those teams is willing to play him at SS and risk an injury, thus POTENTIALLY getting nothing back in return at the deadline if they can't sign him long-term (and odds are incredibly high against an extension NOW just because of #1, he has to be betting on himself rebounding offensively and playing SS at a high level defensively AND staying healthy) and he gets hurt.

Edited by caulfield12

For the first time I definitely believe the Sox can sign Machado to the biggest contract in baseball history. Harper too if they want.

They have like 10 or 20 million on the books after next season. I'm sure Jerry has some number between 110-150M that maxes payroll. Remember when they went "all in"?

Who cares how it gets to 120M? 2 guys at 40M each and then all our 500k guys. Still under the Jerry number.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 01:59 AM)
For the first time I definitely believe the Sox can sign Machado to the biggest contract in baseball history. Harper too if they want.

They have like 10 or 20 million on the books after next season. I'm sure Jerry has some number between 110-150M that maxes payroll. Remember when they went "all in"?

Who cares how it gets to 120M? 2 guys at 40M each and then all our 500k guys. Still under the Jerry number.

But as a team building philosophy, I am not sure it is smart to spend 1/4 of your payroll on one guy (unless that guy is Mike Trout maybe). Now I understand the Sox will have a very young roster going forward with many players making the minimum or near minimum, but spending so much on one guy really hamstrings your ability to fill hole with competent veterans.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 07:41 PM)

In addition to his "slow start," last season, he also had an unimpressive second half, the year before: .266 AVG and a .306 OBP. in 320 plate appearances.

He's still very young, which could explain the inconsistencies, but it's worth noting.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 10:25 PM)
This seems like one of those situations that the deadline has to be a better payoff for BALT:

1) His stats last year were so pedestrian compared to prior years, he was within 0.7 of Yolmer...the Orioles HAVE to be expecting a statistical rebound

2) What matches are there right now from the contending teams (that have a surplus of minor league talent they're willing to part with) where they desperately need to overpay to get him right now?

3) Which of those teams is willing to play him at SS and risk an injury, thus POTENTIALLY getting nothing back in return at the deadline if they can't sign him long-term (and odds are incredibly high against an extension NOW just because of #1, he has to be betting on himself rebounding offensively and playing SS at a high level defensively AND staying healthy) and he gets hurt.

Why does playing SS create more of an injury risk than playing 3B?

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 05:31 AM)
Same. All overvalued speculation for a slow ass off-season and posturing... nothing else.

I’m thinking Baltimore holds onto him until the trade deadline. Playoff contenders tend to give up better value at that time since they are competing with the other contenders. Look at what the Cubs gave up for a few months of Chapman? Not to mention, if a contending teams 3b goes down to injury, it would force them to overpay for renting Machado. I just don’t see the importance of Baltimore dealing him during the winter? Unless the White Sox or Diamondbacks truly have ‘the best packages out there’? Which I don’t understand since apparently they are holding onto their top prospects?

Anway, time to move on from this rumor....

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 05:58 AM)
I’m thinking Baltimore holds onto him until the trade deadline. Playoff contenders tend to give up better value at that time since they are competing with the other contenders. Look at what the Cubs gave up for a few months of Chapman? Not to mention, if a contending teams 3b goes down to injury, it would force them to overpay for renting Machado. I just don’t see the importance of Baltimore dealing him during the winter? Unless the White Sox or Diamondbacks truly have ‘the best packages out there’? Which I don’t understand since apparently they are holding onto their top prospects?

Anway, time to move on from this rumor....

I’m not saying the Orioles should or should not trade him now, but banking on an injury by the deadline to create demand is probably a bad strategy. And no one will forced to overpay for Machado if there are other quality options available. Donaldson is one name that immediately comes to mind who will likely be available. There’s just no certainty when it comes to the deadline. And it’s definitely not fair to assume a Chapman overpay. That is one of the biggest outlier deals in recent memory, even when considering the reliever premium in recent years. Look at what the Diamondbacks gave up for JDM last year. With this many sellers, there are typically good position players available at the deadline.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 03:53 AM)
Why does playing SS create more of an injury risk than playing 3B?

He already has 2 bad knees. 3rd base is a reaction position. The ball come at you much quicker. Many plays require 1 or 2 steps . SS you have to range many steps into the hole or up the middle not to mention facing sliding runners when turning a DP. On 2 bad knees thats a lot of extra stressful steps and on the DP contact with runners much more often than you get at 3rd base.