Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was talking buy out Kimbrel at $1 million earlier. Save $15 million. Spend it towards a younger, better player, that fits your needs. 

HaHaHa ------ wait - I don't get it. How do you buy out Kimbrel at $1M?

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You don't pick up his option. He had a $1 million buyout. Dumb move.

I agree that it looks bad for now.  However, RH must have thought he could swap Kimbrel for a meaningful player.   That move doesn't need to have happened yet to still be a viable plan.  It is a head-scratcher that he didn't just buy out the contract and go shopping with the $15M savings.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m starting to believe the Sox are good with their internal options UNLESS Conforto falls into their laps on a 3 year deal or 4 years, smaller AAV.

This was ALWAYS the plan. They have Colas and Cespedes. They only would buy a bandaid. It may not make sense to us...but Conforto was always the boards dream, not the front office. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

24 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The White Sox don't want Conforto and nobody wants Kimbrel.

I think they want him, but the money/years he wants and maybe his vax status are roadblocks...or at least speedbumps.  I really thought he's have signed somewhere by now.  I think his market is very limited, and he may end up having to take a shorter term deal.

I think are most pressing need is still trading for Castillo, Montas, or Manea. Picking up a back-up catcher would be nice too. Unless we trade Vaughn and prospects for Ketel Marte, I think we are rolling with what we got at least until the trade deadline, which might be a good idea. A Rf, better than conforto may emerge from the the also-rans. Kimbrel will get traded.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I agree that it looks bad for now.  However, RH must have thought he could swap Kimbrel for a meaningful player.   That move doesn't need to have happened yet to still be a viable plan.  It is a head-scratcher that he didn't just buy out the contract and go shopping with the $15M savings.

I think the plan was always to rent Kimbrel for the playoff run and then flip him in the offseason. The problem was Kimbrel was hot garbage for us and derailed that plan.

Theres no way they acquired Kimbrel with the idea they were going to keep two high priced closers on the roster. Thats not how these guys operate.

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I was really upset about Hahn picking up that option and so far not getting damn thing for Kimbrel but then a little bird reminded me....

Just now, fathom said:

If it happens, Pollock probably goes to the Padres or Phillies, IMO.  But yeah, I don’t think this is the deal.

You referring to a 3 way or the Sox trade Kimbrel for Pollock and then turn around and trade him to Padres/Phillies? 

7 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It was reported that he was scratched due to general back soreness. Although I agree that it looks a bit suspicious. 

I'd like to think all our efforts to address our top positional need would result in something better than this but here we are. 

The other issue is it seems to be a two step trade, i.e it's not Kimbrel for the RF. Sounds like more of Kimbrel and maybe cash for something and then you turn around and use the something plus maybe something else for the RF. 

I don't think Pollock being scratched due to an injury is suspicious at all.  Its more suspicious when that dude plays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

I don't think Pollock being scratched due to an injury is suspicious at all.  Its more suspicious when that dude plays.

Agreed. His history with injuries is not good. That would be a disappointing acquisition. Probably better than what the current situation is but not dependable at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So instead of adding left-handed balance we abandon it all together?

Sucks that they won’t just pay Conforto, but beggars can’t be choosers at this point?  Anything else > Kimbrel, I guess? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I see we're now at the bargaining stage of grief as one month ago everyone was hell no on Joc and now it's "oh how I wish we got him".

Oh definitely in the bargaining phase but not over Joc. 

• Quin locked this topic