Chris Sale?

he gone.

Hear me out ... 

He just broke his wrist and is out for the season. BoSox are obviously in some sort of weird Cubs like impasse. They have far too much salary on the books and stuck in no-mans land. 

Chris Sale has 3 years left on his contract at $75mm HOWEVER he's also got deferred money in there. So it's really like 3 years/$50mm. Now his stats have generally gotten worse with age. He's clearly not the arm he was with the White Sox or early after the trade. That said, he's still a very respectable arm ... I think at $3/50 you can make a nice case. I'm sure at that price (assuming the deferred money stays with the BoSox & that he waves his no-trade clause) there will be a few teams interested. You also have a rested arm ... he's thrown a total of 838 pitches since 2019. 2019!! Nothing in 2020, and 47IP since. 

Food for thought. 

1 minute ago, he gone. said:

Hear me out ... 

He just broke his wrist and is out for the season. BoSox are obviously in some sort of weird Cubs like impasse. They have far too much salary on the books and stuck in no-mans land. 

Chris Sale has 3 years left on his contract at $75mm HOWEVER he's also got deferred money in there. So it's really like 3 years/$50mm. Now his stats have generally gotten worse with age. He's clearly not the arm he was with the White Sox or early after the trade. That said, he's still a very respectable arm ... I think at $3/50 you can make a nice case. I'm sure at that price (assuming the deferred money stays with the BoSox & that he waves his no-trade clause) there will be a few teams interested. You also have a rested arm ... he's thrown a total of 838 pitches since 2019. 2019!! Nothing in 2020, and 47IP since. 

Food for thought. 

Maybe we could persuade the BoSox to take Moncada back as part of the trade!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

The 47IP to me is a positive. Obviously TJ isn't the greatest, but realistically it's not the injury it used to be. Guys come back successfully from that all the time. That's the dip in 2020/2021. This year if I remember right was a comebacker during the offseason which cracked his ribs ... then a comebacker when he got back with the BoSox which broke his pinky and now falling off a bike ... just a freak year. It really was one injury and then a bunch of freak injuries. Not ongoing shoulder, forearm or elbow stuff. 

You'd be getting a FRESH arm after 3 years. 

The no trade clause, how he left the sox and all of that stuff obviously would need to be understood further and sure hahn knows all of that stuff more. I for one would be totally on board. 

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The last 3 seasons COMBINED, he has thrown 47.1 innings TOTAL.

Rodon only pitched 42.1 innings from 2019-20, not quite 3 years and he did pitch 120+ innings in 2021 before he was shut down with arm fatigue? 

Still I wouldn't invest my money in either, and I'm not as stingy as Jerry.

1 minute ago, Spumoni said:

Hard pass.  Was fun to watch him pitch back in the day but was not sad at all to see him go.  Guy's a headcase and his arm is fried.

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

To replace Tony? Yes. 

To pitch? Not worth thinking about.

I love these type of responses ... 

How is ARM fried? Explain that to me ...

In 2021 he came back from TJS and xERA of 3.45 which was on par with 2019 xERA of 3.51. His barrel % was a career low. xba of .232. 

Season A 4 seam 94.9mph

Season B 4 seam 93.4mph

Season C 4 seam 93.6mph

You tell me which season is which ... Guess what Season A was 2022 (small sample obviously), Season B and C are the same .... one was pre-injury, one was post

Spin rate remains fine since returning ... 

The arm was TJS an injury half the league has. The other injuries as i said below were freak comeback pitch accidents ... and falling off a bike. Tell me how that is his ARM??

I love the lazy thinking from Sox fans that then turn around and critique the front office and tony. I'm not a fan of either, but at least come with actual tangible reasonings. You can't have it both ways and dismiss things like Chris Sale with two word responses based emotional response to him cutting up a jersey or LaRoche but not actually thinking of the baseball aspect. 

• Like 1

I would think so. i think the key is on the deferred part of the contract. It adds an extra $25mm. If the BoSox were going to make a trade I'd guess they'd put all options on the table to see what the return would be. $3/75mm would obviously lessen the return and probably considered about market price for Sale is my guess. (sorry to burst bitter sox fans (red and white) bubble ... he's still an asset, and still an asset worth a lot of money) I also believe that Sale has a player opt-out at the end of 2022, which, call me crazy, i can see him at least exploring considering his age. seems like a guy who's always wanted to bet on himself. Also, as mentioned, these aren't continual structural issues with him, just some bad breaks (literally) on some bones. 

The BoSox actually rid a bunch of their contracts and don't have too much go-forward so they may actually just want to keep him considering a lot of the money is deferred too. Personal guess? 25% opt-out, 25% traded, 50% he's the opening day starter for the Red Sox next year. 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/boston-red-sox/chris-sale-7278/

Sale has too much emotional baggage. When he was on the Sox, he'd kick at the dirt, and then give up a home run. Of course, no one would come out of the Sox dugout when he was losing it to calm him down. Last week he almost tore up a dugout in the minors when he was taken out of the game even though he was pitching lousy. Hide the scissors if you sign him.

2 hours ago, he gone. said:

Hear me out ... 

Food for thought. 

Bring Sale back?

hell-yes-yes.gif