Jose Fernandez dead

PolishPrince34

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things like this seem so unreal. Devastating is the only word to describe it...such a ridiculously sad day for Miami...the Cuban community there and all of baseball. And to hear he and his girlfriend just found out they were expecting a baby...doubly sad. One of the game's shining lights taken away way too early.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
I feel like barfing. We've lost an extraordinary talent well before his prime to what looks like a freak accident. RIP to him and his two buddies.

I do too. He was a shining light in America's past time. He was a great player with electric stuff, an electric personality and a great story. RIP to him, his friends and may his family and friends and now future baby find peace.

It's just hard for me to comprehend, and I feel very similarly to how I felt when Taveras passed in 2014.

Because, it's not just like he blew out his elbow and he'll never pitch again. He's gone, not just from pitching but from living, stripped of the opportunity to father the child his wife/girlfriend is pregnant with, and it's just horrible all around.

Ugh, this is so f***ed up. Some guys and I were talking at work. Who the last young star to die in pro sports? Closest I could think of was Oscar Tavares, but even though he was the #1 prospect in the sport, he wasn't a star yet.

My buddy mentioned some basketball player, but I don't follow that sport.

EDIT: Sean Taylor comes to mind now.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
stripped of the opportunity to father the child his wife/girlfriend is pregnant with

That's the greatest tragedy of his passing... The best blessing that could come of this is for his baby girl to forever have an outpouring of love, care, and family who all remind her every day what a wonderful father she had who will always be alive in them and in her heart.

Edit: that's a tall freaking order.

Edited by hi8is

I am still so sad to think about all the heartache and pain this is causing his family. Its unfair.

We always think of superstars like him as invincible so it makes it even more difficult to accept that he is gone forever. Such a terrible ending to such an amazing life.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 01:13 AM)
Ugh, this is so f***ed up. Some guys and I were talking at work. Who the last young star to die in pro sports? Closest I could think of was Oscar Tavares, but even though he was the #1 prospect in the sport, he wasn't a star yet.

My buddy mentioned some basketball player, but I don't follow that sport.

EDIT: Sean Taylor comes to mind now.

Len Bias overdosed on cocaine 2 days after being selected 2nd overall in the 1986 draft.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
While that is tragic and sad, it doesn't quite compare to this. A young star whos been around a few years but still really young passing tragically in the prime of his career.

He mentioned something about a young basketball player dying. I'm not really trying to assess the value.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bas...g_their_careers

Read this link last night...

Had no idea that Jeremi Gonzalez (hit by lightning) and Andujar Cedeno had passed...guess I was travelling then. Gonzalez actually gave up Pods' first post-season bomb in that 15-2 playoff game against Boston in 2005.

The one that really got me was the Edmead story, that might be the most gruesome baseball death in history, albeit on the minor league (Carolina League) level. Ptac would be aghast.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
The only player of this stature I can think of is Roberto Clemente, but he was much older. Thurmon Munson could also fit into that description

Yes, Clemente was 37-38 and had just gotten exactly his 3000th hit against Jon Matlack nearing the end of the 1972 season.

But he nearly dominated the 1971 World Series against the Orioles.

I really hate to make the comparison, but Bias was a 2 time All American, 2 time ACC player of the year and 2nd overall pick by the Celtics. Based on the exposure, he was already a star. It's not like a MLB prospect dying because nobody really watches MiLB and they aren't making the cover of Sports Illustrated. I was 5 years old when he died and I still remember hearing the news. Bias was actually the first thing I thought about when I heard the news because it was 2 budding stars that's died tragically doing something stupid. Such a bummer.