Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
I don't get why Pitt would want to trade Glasnow. He seems like on the verge and could be 1 or 2 starter talent.

But could be a 4 or 5. He isn't a sure thing.

Holding pat and not trading for Q is a risky move if they are counting on Glasnow.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
If the trade happens the Sox would have 4 #1 caliber pitchers in the rotation Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, Glasnow and a couple more not far behind Lopez/dunning/hansen.

They would not need to score much. In a couple of years they would have one of the better staffs if even half of them work out.

I think with the addition of Glasnow, you'd have to feel pretty confident in our ability to develop an elite staff within a few years as you mentioned above. If you can also get Bell & Newman, you'd also have the makings of an interesting offensive core IMO. I may be alone in this, but I'd consider moving Moncada to CF if we acquired Newman.

1B: Bell

2B: Newman

SS: Anderson

3B: ? Michalczewki

LF: ? Fisher/Call

CF: Moncada

RF: ? Basabe/Call

DH: ?

C: Collins

Obviously we'd still have a lot of question marks, but we'd also have a lot of chips we could cash in between now and next offseason that could add more positional prospects to the mix. And it's not like we'd have to look for up the middle type players, corner guys should be much easier to find. While Meadows still makes the most sense, I think a Glasnow, Bell, & Newman package makes a ton of sense for us.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
Which deal would you guys prefer?

1) Glasnow, Bell, & Newman

2) Martes, Tucker, Reed, & Stubbs

I would definitely take #1, but would be open to #2 as I'm higher on Tucker than most here.

Definitely the Astros deal. I think Martes could be the best of any of the pitchers that have been discussed for Q to this point, I think Reed will end up being a better 1B than Bell, Tucker has huge upside, Stubbs is probably a backup in the MLB. I am not sold that Glasnow will be able to hone his command, and he is kind of the same guy that you have in Giolito. Bell is probably a DH as he has not really been able to pick up the nuances of defense to this point so that really limits his value, and Newman is really solid, but not sure what you do with him.

The package I am hoping for from the Pirates is Meadows, Keller, Hayes, and Hearn. Keller is from here, and I think he flew under the radar with Iowa's weird baseball season and being out part of his draft year, but he has the stuff to be a legit middle of the rotation guy and maybe a #2. Hearn is the wildcard hard thrower, but a lefty that can run it up to 99, maybe a Matt Thornton starter kit. I would be fine without him and just getting the other three, but I feel he is the kind of throw in piece that could put the Pirates over the top.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Definitely the Astros deal. I think Martes could be the best of any of the pitchers that have been discussed for Q to this point, I think Reed will end up being a better 1B than Bell, Tucker has huge upside, Stubbs is probably a backup in the MLB. I am not sold that Glasnow will be able to hone his command, and he is kind of the same guy that you have in Giolito. Bell is probably a DH as he has not really been able to pick up the nuances of defense to this point so that really limits his value, and Newman is really solid, but not sure what you do with him.

The package I am hoping for from the Pirates is Meadows, Keller, Hayes, and Hearn. Keller is from here, and I think he flew under the radar with Iowa's weird baseball season and being out part of his draft year, but he has the stuff to be a legit middle of the rotation guy and maybe a #2. Hearn is the wildcard hard thrower, but a lefty that can run it up to 99, maybe a Matt Thornton starter kit. I would be fine without him and just getting the other three, but I feel he is the kind of throw in piece that could put the Pirates over the top.

I think most are going under the assumption that the Pirates will not deal Meadows. Someone, somewhere had a reference for one of the writers stating this.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
Makes me skeptical.

I get what you mean although I'm feeling more suspicious. Calm before the storm. Feels like there's alot of pressure building around a Q trade and it's about to burst.

Edit: it's like Merkin and Nightengale are purposely staying quiet for a reason.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
It's possible that they're not allowed to tweet anything relevant because of how deep the Sox are in these discussions.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
I get what you mean although I'm feeling more suspicious. Calm before the storm. Feels like there's alot of pressure building around a Q trade and it's about to burst.

Edit: it's like Merkin and Nightengale are purposely staying quiet for a reason.

Could be. Time will tell.

The fact that no one has come out and disputed Pittsburgh's interest suggests this has legs. The most we have seen is Heyman saying it was a longshot and then almost immediately going back on that claim. With the Yankees rumor, we had both national and local media guys disputing it that same day. IMO, there's got to be a reason for all these Quintana rumors popping up recently and it's very possible the reason is because talks have advanced in the past few days.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Wow, I'll be honest I had no idea who Josh Bell was until I looked up his numbers. I mean, I'd heard of him and I knew he was an offensive first player, but I assumed he was a Bellinger-type slugger. Surprised to see he only has modest power, but incredible contact skills and walks a bunch. Suck that he was so atrocious defensively in his short MLB stint, but he walked more than he struck out which is incredible for a rookie.

Would have loved to have him AND Meadows headlining this deal. But I would be happy with Glasnow, Bell, Hayes, and Diaz.

The rumor that describes that Pirates as "working hard" on this trade makes me suspect that they may be working on a three team transaction. There are so many more possibilities if that is the case. For example, the Sox could include other players with Quintana, perhaps Robertson and/or Melky or Frazier, and get a prospect haul plus McCutcheon in return. The Sox could then trade Cutch to the Nationals for Robles.

Or the Yankees might be involved with the Sox and the pirates trying to make a transaction.

I just thought I would try drive us even more crazy as we wait for a deal to be announced.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
The rumor that describes that Pirates as "working hard" on this trade makes me suspect that they may be working on a three team transaction. There are so many more possibilities if that is the case. For example, the Sox could include other players with Quintana, perhaps Robertson and/or Melky or Frazier, and get a prospect haul plus McCutcheon in return. The Sox could then trade Cutch to the Nationals for Robles.

Or the Yankees might be involved with the Sox and the pirates trying to make a transaction.

I just thought I would try drive us even more crazy as we wait for a deal to be announced.

That may just be the most insightful speculation of this thread yet!

White Sox Get - Glasnow, Robles, Bell, Newman, Severino, Freese

Pirates Get - Quintana, Fraizer

Nationals Get - McCutchen, Robertson

Edit: Does Washington even have room for Cutch after adding Eaton? :lol:

Guess they do... Turner to SS -- Harper in LF / Cutch CF / Eaton RF

( Sox / Nationals / Pirates should just hire us miracleon35th )

Edited by hi8is

Wouldn't it be easier for the Pirates to just trade McCutcheon directly to the Nats for Robles?

They'd still have Meadows, Marte, Polanco, Bell, etc., from an offensive standpoint, so that wouldn't KILL their chances of competing this year if everything went right with Meadows and Bell in 2017.

That may just be the most insightful speculation of this thread yet!

White Sox Get - Glasnow, Robles, Bell, Newman, Severino

Pirates Get - Quintana, Fraizer

Nationals Get - McCutchen, Robertson

Edit: Does Washington even have room for Cutch after adding Eaton? :lol:

The Pirates are just getting bent over here. Two of their three best prospects, their MVP CF (and he's only 30) and another top 100 guy and all they get back is Quintana and Todd Frazier with one year left. They might as well keep Cutch and make the trade sans the Nationals entirely.

If there really is a 3 team deal in the works I see Glasnow being the piece that gets moved around to a team laden with position player prospects not some crazy megadeal.