Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ May 18, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
Colome is a stud. I'm sure he is the guy that Rizzo is after. Herrera from KC is probably option #2 on their list with Robertson coming in as #3.

The Nats will take their time on this since the NL East is so bad. That just leaves more time for Robertson to decrease his value by pitching poorly and/or get hurt like Jones, Putnam, Petrickia, etc.

Herrera is only arguably an upgrade. More H/9, a lot fewer K/9, higher ERA. 83% conversion ratio the last 2 years (0-7 the previous year). If you believe in FIP, Herrera's is a horrendous 5.23. Robertson's is pretty tidy at 2.40.

Colome also brings a higher FIP, inferior K/9, K/BB.

Robertson has never had a K/9 less than 10.4. That kind of K ability is something that could be extra valuable in the playoffs. The downside, is that Robertson also brings the highest BB rate to the mound.

Not that there aren't reasons for the Nats to prefer either, but really, neither Colome nor Herrera are clearly superior options to Robertson. It may well come down to each team's demands. The wildcard the Sox hold, is being able to add in a guy like Swarzak or Kahnle. The Nats likely need more than 1 pen arm.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ May 18, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
There is no way in hell that Robertson brings back Robles. Rizzo would hang up the phone on that ask and instruct Hahn to call back when he is serious. Robertson is severely overvalued around these parts. He is not that good and won't bring back much at all.

I'm not piling on Hahn (I'm not convinced he's a great GM candidate yet), I'm just saying Robertson was lights out until his last what, 2 outings? Now he's human again, so good luck trading the average version of Robertson. If you can get an organization's top 10 prospect, grab that along with a couple projects from A ball and make it 3 for 1 and be done with it.

I realize "nobody was willing to trade" a couple weeks ago when Robertson was hot.

So either wait until he gets red hot again, or try to dump him to the Nats now while they need a closer and see if you can get a top 10 prospect from them.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 18, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
Since becoming a full tine closer, Robertson has a save % just above 85%.

The NL East:

Jeurys Familia is 86%

AJ Ramos is 82%

Jim Johnson is 80%

Hector Neris is 55% (very few opportunities)

So, Robertson would pretty much become the best closer in the division. Some others, for reference.

Kenley Jansen has a % of about 89%

Francisco Rodriguez is about 85%

Huston Street is 86%

Roberto Osuno is 83%

Zach Britton is 94%

Aroldis Chapman 90%

Seung Hwan Oh 85%

Wade Davis 87%

Mariano Rivera 89%

So by comparison, Robertson is a serviceable closer, and more importantly a huge upgrade over anything the Nats currently have.

Nice post by you. Hopefully teams will look at that and give the Sox some good return.

Edited by greg775

definitely 1 top100 guy+1 more solid top15 organisational prospect.

that basically just leaves soto, kieboom and robles.

Maybe even robles could be done:

-nets get robertson

-nats get almost all of robertsons salary

-maybe sox add another reliever

white sox get robles.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 21, 2017 -> 02:46 AM)
Pair Robertson with someone , maybe Ynoa to get Robles. . Nats need more than just a closer.

Don't need Ynoa since Robert is already signed :P .

Swarzak would probably make the most sense to pair with Robertson. And while I doubt they'll move Robles for anything but an impact talent, it would be fun to pull off the reliever version of the Addison Russell trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2017 -> 09:08 PM)
I'm sure it won't happen, but in order to get Robles in a deal, I really wouldn't mind giving up Robertson and Giolito or Dunning.

I highly doubt Nats would want Giolito back. I know Rizzo is on record saying he likes Dunning alot, but I doubt Rick gives him up.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2017 -> 09:08 PM)
I'm sure it won't happen, but in order to get Robles in a deal, I really wouldn't mind giving up Robertson and Giolito or Dunning. With that said, don't think they will give up Robles for anyone (realistic)

Imagine being, say, Dunning in that scenario. Traded from the Nats to us in December, finally is acclimated and feeling good in our system, and boom- you're being traded back to the Nats! It's unlikely, of course, but you never know.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:39 PM)
Imagine being, say, Dunning in that scenario. Traded from the Nats to us in December, finally is acclimated and feeling good in our system, and boom- you're being traded back to the Nats! It's unlikely, of course, but you never know.

He can ask Gio Gonzalez for advice at least. He

I'm no expert, but given his contract, and his up/down performance, is Robertson really going to get the White Sox more than salary relief and maybe a mid level prospect? I don't doubt a team like Washington will trade for him, somebody will, but isn't he under contract for $10M this year this year and next season (obviously this season is probably down to $5M or so by the time July comes).....Is the contract not a big deal anymore given other contracts?

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:59 PM)
I'm no expert, but given his contract, and his up/down performance, is Robertson really going to get the White Sox more than salary relief and maybe a mid level prospect? I don't doubt a team like Washington will trade for him, somebody will, but isn't he under contract for $10M this year this year and next season (obviously this season is probably down to $5M or so by the time July comes).....Is the contract not a big deal anymore given other contracts?

I think that his being a reliever adds value instantly. I mean, even though he's only signed through 2018, relievers tend to get crazy hauls at trade deadlines compared to starters or position players. I think he could get a top-100 guy if the other team eats his salary, or if we pair him with a Swarzak/Kahnle or eat some money, a top-30 guy.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 21, 2017 -> 12:09 AM)
I think that his being a reliever adds value instantly. I mean, even though he's only signed through 2018, relievers tend to get crazy hauls at trade deadlines compared to starters or position players. I think he could get a top-100 guy if the other team eats his salary, or if we pair him with a Swarzak/Kahnle or eat some money, a top-30 guy.

I didn't realize that being a reliever would elevate his value. I know Andrew Miller and Chapman brought in high value last year but they were considered elite.

Will the White Sox eat any salary to get more back?

I'd love a top 30 guy, but is that possible?

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 21, 2017 -> 12:15 AM)
I didn't realize that being a reliever would elevate his value. I know Andrew Miller and Chapman brought in high value last year but they were considered elite.

Will the White Sox eat any salary to get more back?

I'd love a top 30 guy, but is that possible?

You never know, but I would doubt it since they seem to be spending $50 mil or so on Luis Robert today.

I like the idea of Swarzak/Kahnle added to Robertson. I'd almost take it a step further and offer all 3 of them for Robles. That's offering Washington an almost complete bullpen overhaul - but at the cost of their prized prospect.

Schoenfield argues Robertson's probably the second or third choice after Herrera and SD's Hand...salary possibly an issue.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/...ionals-a-closer

Herrera/Cain (FA rental) for Soto +

His command has deserted him a bit the past couple of seasons, but Robertson still owns an elite strikeout rate, and he's a proven closer with playoff experience. He is signed through 2018, making $12 million this year and $13 million next year, so if the White Sox want a better prospect in return, they'd probably have to include some cash to offset the salary.

Soto and a second-tier pitching prospect for Herrera and Cain. As good as Soto is, he's also just 18 and a few years from the majors. He's probably a left fielder in the long run since he lacks a prototypical right fielder's arm. The Nationals make a huge upgrade in center field with Cain (who is a free agent) to replace the injured Adam Eaton and acquire Herrera for this season and next. The Royals get a premium hitting prospect in a system that lacks one, which they'll need as Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas hit free agency.

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 20, 2017 -> 11:59 PM)

I don't think he brings back anything huge personally (I mean top 100 prospect). The Yankees did well in those trades last year since they dealt with teams with great systems. After the Miller trade, Indians still had 5 guys in top 100 and we already know about all the youth on the Cubs. Robles is likely more important to the Nats than say Torres was for the Cubs.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 21, 2017 -> 06:33 AM)
Matt Albers is the glue holding the Washington bullpen together.

I watched the epic Albers-Flowers duel on MLB TV yesterday. Flowers went deep.

And yes, the Sox will have to throw in some $ to more Robertson. I would hope they are willing to do that. That's how money is spent in rebuilding (v signing veterans).