Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

29 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Lol I don't understand the meta-commentary on board mood. What is the point of discussion if you're discouraged for expressing your actual opinion?

Some historical boards have been mostly meta morale stuff. 

I'm pretty sure Harold was on here earlier suggesting that there are multiple suitors for Kimbrel and that a deal may not be imminent. Sounds like a bidding war to me. Sox might even be running teams offers by Oakland to see if there's anybody they like to be part of a deal for Manaea.

28 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Lol I don't understand the meta-commentary on board mood. What is the point of discussion if you're discouraged for expressing your actual opinion?

What’s the point of discussion if you’re discouraged from expressing an actual opinion that other posters are being unreasonably negative?

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Every team in baseball takes him for 6 million dollars

Really? 

2019: 6.53 ERA/8.00 FIP

2020: 5.23 ERA/3.97 FIP

2021 w/Cubs: 0.49 ERA/1.10 FIP

2021 w/Sox: 5.09 ERA/4.53 FIP

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong.......

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

I'm pretty sure Harold was on here earlier suggesting that there are multiple suitors for Kimbrel and that a deal may not be imminent. Sounds like a bidding war to me. Sox might even be running teams offers by Oakland to see if there's anybody they like to be part of a deal for Manaea.

Well, I guess in some universe that's possibly the case. Let's hope it's this one.

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

Harold also told us to "just wait...." two days ago as if a move was about to be announced. 

If contending teams like Padres, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Giants are bidding for Suzuki’s service and the team across town is meeting with him tonight (shows he’s open to coming to Chicago), is there a reasonable excuse for Sox to not be in the hunt?

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

If contending teams like Padres, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Giants are bidding for Suzuki’s service and the team across town is meeting with him tonight (shows he’s open to coming to Chicago), is there a reasonable excuse for Sox to not be in the hunt?

When Jerry bumped the payroll above 160 million he demanded they cut the Asian scout to save some money?

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It’s unrealistic to be in on every free agent that’s out there. Signing Suzuki and having him start in the big leagues right away is a big risk especially if he’s unproven and may not be the best fit for the team. Might as well start Colas or Cespedes in the big leagues right away. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Unproven RHH who is a LF.

21 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

You don't put any stock into Fegan and others reporting the Sox surveyed his market before picking up the option? Or the fact Hahn is openly talking about dealing him when normally the Sox play everything so close to the vest?

I think your argument for whether or not Kimbrel has surplus value makes sense, but the Sox are the same organization who didn't want to risk ending up with Rodon on a 1 year deal. And devoted significant resources to Graveman & Joe Kelly. Why would they do that if they weren't confident they could get off the Kimbrel money? It just doesn't make any rational sense to me.

First of all, if Hahn actually did a survey because he didn’t know…he’s got a problem because why would anyone tell Them the truth? This was obvious at the time - it’s a great way to hurt a playoff team this year if they’re stuck with him.

Second…this part was obvious in November. They weren’t going to get a big return for him no matter what, agreed? If they had a single offer that took on his whole deal and returned something…why didn’t they take it? That has been the case last year and for the whole last week. They aren’t going to get a much bigger return for him no matter what they do, so if they have all these offers, why haven’t they taken one?

And third, maybe it doesn’t make rational sense? Maybe it actually is ego and needing to prove something? Rational sense says he has not pitched up to being the second highest paid reliever in baseball this year and that contract would be extremely tough to move without picking up some money because he didn’t.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

First of all, if Hahn actually did a survey because he didn’t know…he’s got a problem because why would anyone tell Them the truth? This was obvious at the time - it’s a great way to hurt a playoff team this year if they’re stuck with him.

Second…this part was obvious in November. They weren’t going to get a big return for him no matter what, agreed? If they had a single offer that took on his whole deal and returned something…why didn’t they take it? That has been the case last year and for the whole last week. They aren’t going to get a much bigger return for him no matter what they do, so if they have all these offers, why haven’t they taken one?

And third, maybe it doesn’t make rational sense? Maybe it actually is ego and needing to prove something? Rational sense says he has not pitched up to being the second highest paid reliever in baseball this year and that contract would be extremely tough to move without picking up some money because he didn’t.

I wish we didn't agree so much. Sigh. 

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

No, there isn't.

This board seems sold on desperately needing a LHH RFer, but I'm not convinced. 

The 2021 White SOX finished 6th in WRC+ V. RHP, according to FANGRAPHS.

Now, that also came alongside a 10th ranking in slg% v. RHP, and 2nd in OBP V. RHP

But, there's "context," in that those rankings came with a number of serious injuries last season, so some improvement could be expected organically from roster returnees.

So, to answer your question, no, there isn't really any good reason why the SOX shouldn't look into Suzuki.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

9 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

He bats with the wrong hand, for one. We need a lefty. Badly. 

7 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

It’s unrealistic to be in on every free agent that’s out there. Signing Suzuki and having him start in the big leagues right away is a big risk especially if he’s unproven and may not be the best fit for the team. Might as well start Colas or Cespedes in the big leagues right away. 

He’s proven enough for the 4 playoff teams I mentioned to go after him.