Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

13 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Cespedes is 24 and Colas is 23, both are at least another year away. There is a reason the farm is ranked dead last in MLB. While it's easy to look at the farm in a vacuum and say we have a couple of nice prospects that could help the team someday (which is an exercise you can do for any other farm system), their collective talent and depth doesn't measure up against other farms.

Now on to your main point. We lose Abreu after this season, Gio and Grandal after 2023. By 2024, we have $126M committed just 9 players, that's before the arb raises for Cease and Kopech. We may be able to keep the core for 2024, but they'd have to make some tough decisions in 2025. Without significant contributions from the farm, they're a crossroad at that point facing tough decisions to either sign aging vets to try to keep the team competitive ala 2013-2017, retool, or rebuild altogether. Regardless if they sign Conforto to a 4 year deal or not, it really doesn't matter. So the question is do you want to just be good enough from 2022-2025 to have a chance to make the playoffs, or load up in those years to try to get as far as you can in the playoffs? The answer is pretty easy for me.

Because of all this, I do want them to keep an eye on the future. I'd rather they didn't do too many KW trades and greatly increase the odds of a crash in 2 years. As it stands this is gonna be a great team to watch for 2 years here. I'm not starved to see a WS. I've been through that. 

3 minutes ago, KBX said:

Because of all this, I do want them to keep an eye on the future. I'd rather they didn't do too many KW trades and greatly increase the odds of a crash in 2 years. As it stands this is gonna be a great team to watch for 2 years here. I'm not starved to see a WS. I've been through that. 

The point of making the playoffs is to hope to eventually winning it all right? If the expectation is to only win a bunch of regular season games and secure a playoff spot with no expectations of outcome, then sure, they will do fine the next 3 years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

And both might get over $100 million if this Bryant deal is any indication of what the market is. 

Which is why we are where we are at with any new additions. Shopping at the "old" Dollar Store. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not as baffling as that weird comparison Sherman is making, as if somehow Kris Bryant costs both his contract and the sunk cost that was Arenado's contract, which also netted the Rockies prospects.

I wouldn't trade $50 million for the prospects that the Rockies got. 

If for no other reason, Harper's presence would block nearly all these penny punching moves, force the White Sox to get creative with youth or dive into places like the Pacific Rim.

Anything's better than 2016 stance, albeit now undertaken with double the talent and a competitive advantage vis a vis the AL Central...but no ultimate end game in sight.

Just feels like we are flailing our way along.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Notwithstanding Bryants deal, I'm starting to think Comforto might go for a 3yr w/opt out after 1st or 2nd yr. Maybe 3/$54-60 ish? Sox might be flying under the radar here.

If we fly any more under the radar, we'll be permanently stuck somewhere between Midway and Meigs Field.

3 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Great FA signing by Hahn!

If he was so valuable, and seemingly treated so well by SFG, one of the best front offices in the game, then why no QO?   Throwing darts against the wall would lead to better outcomes with Kimbrel and Carlos.

Edited by caulfield12

Who cares about WAR-calculated salary. Being worth 39 in one year presupposes one is not an injury prone fruitcake. We would've won it all with peak Rodon in October, but he was out of gas. 

Edited by KBX

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Notwithstanding Bryants deal, I'm starting to think Comforto might go for a 3yr w/opt out after 1st or 2nd yr. Maybe 3/$54-60 ish? Sox might be flying under the radar here.

Opt out?

Sure they will insist on that. 

3 years? No. Schwarber got 4/80. Unproven Suzuki 5/85, Bryant 7/182. 

Boras is going to make sure his client gets a big payday which necessarily requires a minimum of 4 years plus the option to get out and get alot more if he plays well. 

If Chicago didn't like whatever 4 year deal that was proposed to them before, they sure as hell will not like what it will become now that Conforto is the last good true OF on the market in light of the other offers. 

There are still several teams that could use him. 

He's done as a serious realistic target for us. 

It's over.

• Like 1