Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

In theory, this should help the White Sox attain the #1 seed which would be significant. Also, I'm not sure Houston is definitely a tier above. Carlos Correa is a huge loss and McCullers is hurt. 

Hopefully they prioritize home field advantage more than they did last year imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

In theory, this should help the White Sox attain the #1 seed which would be significant. Also, I'm not sure Houston is definitely a tier above. Carlos Correa is a huge loss and McCullers is hurt. 

OK, let's examine this idea fairly:

Houston lost 5.8 fWAR from their 2021 team when Carlos Correa walked out the door. They're replacing him with Jeremy Pena, whose ZIPs projection has him at 2.2 fWAR for 2022. They also have a competent FO and manager running things.

By contrast, the White Sox let 4.9 fWAR  walk free when they stupidly failed to give the QO to Carlos Rodon. They replaced him with Vince Velasquez, who will likely provide NEGATIVE fWAR before being DFA'ed. They also have an old drunk managing the team, a bench coach and pitching coach who apparently won't disagree with him, and one of the more incompetent FOs in the game. 

So, I'm gonna go ahead and say that the trashtros are still better overall than the White Sox. The trashtros might have taken a step back talent-wise from 2021. But the White Sox took a LARGER step backwards, talent-wise. The White Sox are also lead by an incompetent FO and manager, while the trashtros have some competence to their FO and manager.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Houston lost 5.8 fWAR from their 2021 team when Carlos Correa walked out the door. They're replacing him with Jeremy Pena, whose ZIPs projection has him at 2.2 fWAR for 2022. They also have a competent FO and manager running things.

By contrast, the White Sox let 4.9 fWAR  walk free when they stupidly failed to give the QO to Carlos Rodon. They replaced him with Vince Velasquez, who will likely provide NEGATIVE fWAR before being DFA'ed. They also have an old drunk managing the team, a bench coach and pitching coach who apparently won't disagree with him, and one of the more incompetent FOs in the game. 

So, I'm gonna go ahead and say that the trashtros are still better overall than the White Sox. The trashtros might have taken a step back talent-wise from 2021. But the White Sox took a LARGER step backwards, talent-wise. The White Sox are also lead by an incompetent FO and manager, while the trashtros have some competence to their FO and manager.

In Dusty we trusty.

9 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Are you assuming that Jimenez, Robert and Grandal miss large portions of the season again? 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

They’re replacing Rodon with Kopech who is projected for 2.7 wins.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Are you assuming the white Sox will be top 6 in fewest days used for the IL again?

No but when I do projections I'm not going to factor in possible injuries. On paper, I'm not sure anyone is better than them in the AL regardless of how bad I think they handled this offseason. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

FWIW--Meadows is considered a below average RF. His best outfield position is LF where he is average. Robert will want a raise......... 

Certainly an upgrade on Vaughn/Sheets. Probably not much worse than Leury. 

I hate that it took AV getting hurt, but I don’t see how Sox can’t possibly not make a move at this point. They’re getting close to not being able to field an OF. Is Engel even going to be ready? Sheets has yet to play the field this ST! What happens when Eloy runs in the wall now? It’s basically required at this point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hate that it took AV getting hurt, but I don’t see how Sox can’t possibly not make a move at this point. They’re getting close to not being able to field an OF. Is Engel even going to be ready? Sheets has yet to play the field this ST! What happens when Eloy runs in the wall now? It’s basically required at this point. 

Depends on how serious Vaughn’s injury is, but they should have acquired a legit RF before this happened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Depends on how serious Vaughn’s injury is, but they should have acquired a legit RF before this happened.

Like I said in another thread, I’m just hoping we hear weeks not months. Anytime a cart is involved I’m assuming it’s not a day to day thing. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Like I said in another thread, I’m just hoping we hear weeks not months. Anytime a cart is involved I’m assuming it’s not a day to day thing. 

One thing to keep in mind with the cart is the locker room is behind RF fence, so there was no reason for him to walk to the dugout.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

One thing to keep in mind with the cart is the locker room is behind RF fence, so there was no reason for him to walk to the dugout.

Yeah. I mean I figured it’s possible it’s just a ST precaution. Definitely possible. Hope Vaughn is ok. But this is what happens…..I don’t mind playing Vaughn in RF some and it’s just a bad break if he’s actually legit injured. But fuckina Sox. How was this going to be sustainable for 162?!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He got up without any problems though and was able to stand on his own.  Just seemed like he had discomfort when he moved / rotated his hip.  I’m hoping for the best here, but another would be smart either way.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Dwight Smith, Jr.

50 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

FWIW--Meadows is considered a below average RF. His best outfield position is LF where he is average. Robert will want a raise......... 

He's at least a real OFer rather than trotting out a 1B in the OF. Obviously we don't care about defense anyway so might as well add a good LH bat. 

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic