Sox may have interest in Cueto

CWSpalehoseCWS

Looks like we are going to have to win some softball games for a couple of months....12-9 scores should make for some entertaining game threads. 

Don't stop now boys vs Please stop them now boys

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

Its like people think I don't know things lol 

I wouldn't get carried away. Didn't you just list Kopech as the Sox #2 starter ? There's no way that happens with his innings limits and the Covid he had getting him off to a late start . He will be #5 pretty much all season.I'd even go so far as to say that he isn't even likely to go a full 5 innings until at least late April

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Not sure what's so bad about Cueto.  He was 7-7 last year for the Giants, with a 4.08 ERA and FIP over 114 innings.   

He's definitely a better option than Velasquez

• Like 2

Honestly - this seems really logical. I'm not big on Cueto, but he's an experienced veteran and if you get the version from last year and he can at least stay healthy half the season - it isn't a bad thing (relative to the other choices). At this point - I don't think they can afford not to bring in a guy like him.   But I would have preferred the Sox did like 100 different things because the starting rotation was always there biggest need from day 1 of the offseason (and I was consistently on record indicating such).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, flavum said:

Wouldn’t be counting on him starting a playoff game at this point, but his ERA+ was 100 last year when he started. Probably better than Velasquez or Lopez could do until Lynn is back. We need bodies. Now.

Agreed. The only possible issue though is, with no spring training, Cueto might not be able to join the team until late April. I'm guessing Hahn waits to see who's released this week before attempting to sign a pitcher who's not immediately ready.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Not signing Rodon is going to be vastly more expensive than signing him.

Velasquez already cost $3 million. Cueto's going to want at least $5 million. That's already $8 million of the $18 million QO we should have offered to him. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Velasquez already cost $3 million. Cueto's going to want at least $5 million. That's already $8 million of the $18 million QO we should have offered to him. 

What if we re-signed Rodon for 18 mil. Then his arm gets injured because he is always hurt. Then Lynn still gets hurt. Rodon should have been brought back on the QO, but most of the reason he is not back is because of health. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

Rodon was never going to sign for $18mm as he would have certainly rejected the QO.   He was gone.  He signed for $44mm over 2 years. 

...which then brings up the other point - why not grab the free draft pick?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

Rodon was never going to sign for $18mm as he would have certainly rejected the QO.   He was gone.  He signed for $44mm over 2 years. 

AND it is almost certain he will need to be covered for some period of time himself.

44 minutes ago, GIDP said:

Agreed. The only possible issue though is, with no spring training, Cueto might not be able to join the team until late April. I'm guessing Hahn waits to see who's released this week before attempting to sign a pitcher who's not immediately ready.

If he's still intending to find a team and pitch, wouldn't he have been getting himself ready by throwing on his own, like to college kids or something? Seems like it shouldn't take too long to get a vet like that up and running.

MLBTR listed the players out of options and some interesting guys on the list.

Sean Newcomb

Tyler Beede

Dillon Peters

Jeff Hoffman

It might be worth taking a shot on a guy who is about to be DFA'ed or could be had for cheap rather than dumpster diving the FA market. At least by doing a trade if it works out you have a player with a bit of control

• Like 1

• Quin locked this topic