JR: No comment on TLR job security

southsider2k5

LaRussa isn't going anywhere, and if the White Sox get their act together and win the AL Central, he'll be back next year as well. When it comes to many things, JR doesn't care about public opinion one bit. If fans want to vent, fine. Otherwise, dwelling on LaRussa is a waste of time. We can only hope that the "statement" series was really a statement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

11 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I feel like the thread title is misleading, no? 

A "no comment" when asked about a manager's job sounds way different than the actual report that was included in the article and subsequent tweets that Tony will be around for at least this year, possibly next.

Yes you are right, I came into this thread thinking "Wow, maybe he is on the hot seat" and am now leaving with "Welp, sit back relax and strap it on, LaRussa isn't going anywhere."

Edited by T R U
Typo

6 hours ago, T R U said:

Yes you are right, I came into this thread thinking "Wow, maybe he is on the hot seat" and am now leaving with "Welp, sit back relax and strap it on, LaRussa isn't going anywhere."

Strap it on or strap it down? 

• Haha 2

To be fair to the board, most all of us on here realized Tony would not be fired. He'd have to step down and that's always possible when a person is pushing 80. Even though people expressed a desire for him to get fired or point out most teams would have fired him by now (specifically after 2 or 3 games in which he seemed buffoonish) most on here realized it was dumb to even discuss this. JR is Tony's good pal; JR fired him once and how the hell can he justify firing a hall of famer twice in one lifetime. I guess if Sox go 0-10 to start the second half, even JR might have to can his buddy. Thing is Tony would probably forgive his buddy at that point.

54 minutes ago, greg775 said:

To be fair to the board, most all of us on here realized Tony would not be fired. He'd have to step down and that's always possible when a person is pushing 80. Even though people expressed a desire for him to get fired or point out most teams would have fired him by now (specifically after 2 or 3 games in which he seemed buffoonish) most on here realized it was dumb to even discuss this. JR is Tony's good pal; JR fired him once and how the hell can he justify firing a hall of famer twice in one lifetime. I guess if Sox go 0-10 to start the second half, even JR might have to can his buddy. Thing is Tony would probably forgive his buddy at that point.

TLR & JR feelings/“forgiveness” >>> winning a championship or pleasing the fanbase

Tells you everything you need to know about the current tenuous state of the franchise.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

TLR & JR feelings/“forgiveness” >>> winning a championship or pleasing the fanbase

Tells you everything you need to know about the current tenuous state of the franchise.

I'm starting to think Jerry's firing of Renteria was even dumber/more unfair than firing Tony the first time he managed the Sox. I wonder where RR will surface next? Somebody's bench coach?

• Fire 1

TLR has gotten some breathing room with the Twins series win.  However, it is also worth to point out that with a competent manager the Sox would have been in first place already.  It is hard to believe that TLR should come back next year.  Everybody else is moving forward in the 21st century and the Sox are moving backwards into the 20 th century with JR and TLR.  

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm starting to think Jerry's firing of Renteria was even dumber/more unfair than firing Tony the first time he managed the Sox. I wonder where RR will surface next? Somebody's bench coach?

Maybe a Buddy Bell type job with another organization, but he's getting up there in age.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wonder who made the decision to fire Rick Renteria. Was it Reinsdorf or Hahn? I always thought that Hahn fired him so he could hire AJ Hinch but Reinsdorf saw an opening and brought in TLR. 

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I wonder who made the decision to fire Rick Renteria. Was it Reinsdorf or Hahn? I always thought that Hahn fired him so he could hire AJ Hinch but Reinsdorf saw an opening and brought in TLR. 

Or Reinsdorf was so upset that Hahn would have the gall to fire someone that he made TLR a retaliation hire.

7 hours ago, hankchifan said:

TLR has gotten some breathing room with the Twins series win.  However, it is also worth to point out that with a competent manager the Sox would have been in first place already.  It is hard to believe that TLR should come back next year.  Everybody else is moving forward in the 21st century and the Sox are moving backwards into the 20 th century with JR and TLR.  

I love how 3rd place and .500 at the break is some sort of an achievement for some Sox fans.  I can't wait until we get our participation trophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If Tony were stepping down during the break, I doubt it wouldn't have been announced or at least someone with more credentials leaking it. We are stuck with this clown.

I feel so stupid even partly falling for that nonsense that LaRussa had a week left.  Even more than falling for all that bullshit thrown around when they were "pursuing" Machado.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1