Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

I knew the fake insiders wouldn't be able to control themselves.  

If you believe someone said something to Kaplan, the LF tidbit was a clear clue, even pointed out by me here...

If you look at who would be designated a LF on this team with only 2 OF (+ Leury) on the roster, that is a very short list, and possibly a list so short that only one guy who literally can't throw the ball would be on.

Not surprised an anonymous account took the stab, also not surprised that others with slightly more credibility have carefully piggybacked the news pretending to have sources without actually confirming or denying it.  

Here's hoping it is true and that Sox internet may have even bullied Jerry into action.  Let's Go!

• Like 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Can a pro-Benintendi person convince me that he's a good defender aside from the gold glove? Trying to talk myself into this

I hope that throw from the outfield against the Sox last year was a slip out of his hand because if he’s got a noodle arm we get run on enough by Cleveland

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I hope that throw from the outfield against the Sox last year was a slip out of his hand because if he’s got a noodle arm we get run on enough by Cleveland

And then I remember the Sox got too aggressive and he threw someone out easily at home. He always seemed to get good jumps when the Sox played him.

13 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Jumping on this after everyone is already talking about it, what amazing sources this guy has! 

This guy has a better source than Jeff Passan, Bob Nightengale, you name it. He also broke the news about Espada NOT getting it when every insider said he was. Also first to name Montoyo and had lonzo news in July

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Can a pro-Benintendi person convince me that he's a good defender aside from the gold glove? Trying to talk myself into this

He is a little inconsistent and not all the metrics agree from year to year. However, the last 2 years he has had a positive UZR, a positive DRS, and an OAA of 0. Prior to that, UZR didn't like him in 2018-2020 and OAA and DRS didn't like him in 2019 - however none of those were the kinds of deep chasms that the White Sox saw from their corner OFs last year. In general, I get the impression of a guy who has become a stable if unspectacular fielder who won't carry you to wins based on his defense but who won't embarrass himself out there even if he's struggling with something that year. 

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

From his rookie scouting report.....Arm (55) – Benintendi’s pure arm strength is a 50. I bump the extra +5 on the grade due to the tremendous accuracy Benintendi shows, his ability to use his instincts to throw to the right base at all times and the way he positions his feet every time to be perfectly lined up for his throws. All those things maximize every bit of his arm ability, so while he may have average raw arm strength, he gets more out of his arm than most guys with “bigger” arms.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Honest question as I don’t know or can’t see it in his stats but what’s so stable about him? 

Some defensive stats (UZR and DRS - @Jose Abreu, you asked for some stats) love him, even if he doesn't have a great arm (I'll always think of that horrendous throw he had where he still got a Sox runner thanks to Super Joe).

Career slash of .279/.351/.734. Strikes out, but not too much.

He's a whelming player.

• Hawk 1

6 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

His arm showed up as a strength when he was playing the smaller OF in Boston, and slipped into "slight weakness" last year. however, Eloy gave up as many runs throwing in 200 innings as Benintendi gave up in 1100 innings, so his arm comes off as nothing you will gawk at but nothing where you will think "this is awful" as we had with Eloy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He is a little inconsistent and not all the metrics agree from year to year. However, the last 2 years he has had a positive UZR, a positive DRS, and an OAA of 0. Prior to that, UZR didn't like him in 2018-2020 and OAA and DRS didn't like him in 2019 - however none of those were the kinds of deep chasms that the White Sox saw from their corner OFs last year. In general, I get the impression of a guy who has become a stable if unspectacular fielder who won't carry you to wins based on his defense but who won't embarrass himself out there even if he's struggling with something that year. 

He will look like a gold clover to us then

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Some defensive stats (UZR and DRS - @Jose Abreu, you asked for some stats) love him, even if he doesn't have a great arm (I'll always think of that horrendous throw he had where he still got a Sox runner thanks to Super Joe).

Career slash of .279/.351/.734. Strikes out, but not too much.

He's a whelming player.

Just throwing to the correct base or hitting the cutoff man will be a huge improvement.

• Haha 3

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Jesse Rogers: Sox Signing Benintendi
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic