Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t disagree but, on paper, I see this collection of transactions as a lateral move. Don’t think they got better. So that means the carry overs from last season have to improve significantly to make a real run at this thing. I still think the roster severely lacks depth. They’re a couple injuries away from guys like burger, garcia, etc getting significant playing time again.

The carry overs doing better was always  going to be part of the plan. It had to be. Sox lacked any real LHH last year and had terrible OF defense.  You get better OF defense by a lot with a healthy Robert and Colas/Benintendi is good enough defensively to keep Eloy and Vaughn out of the OF.

Vaughn finally gets to play his natural position and not hurt the team because he needed to be a superstar bat to offset his ugly OF play. If his offense can take another leap forward HR + OBP) in his 3rd season he can replace Abreu's production.

Just need to finish the OF with a solid back up OF. Yes I still want Outman for that ! But the Dodgers have their own needs in the OF for them to give up Outman yet. I don't know how comfortable they would be playing their top prospects Vargas or Busch in the OF.

Vargas was up for a little while but played mostly 1st and LF. Busc,h they didn't call up at all and called up Outman for 4 games. Bellinger's gone. Chris Taylor didn't do well last year. So that leaves Betts and Trace Thompson. Right now our OF looks better than the Dodgers.

32 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Keep mind, balanced schedule next year. You can’t win the Central by beating up the Central.

It sure helps though if you think the Central is so weak that they are all going to do pretty poorly against the East If you are going to fatten up on teams it should be against  the Tigers and Royals.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Jimmy....of LH/TA/LG who is the most likely to be dealt? 

I really don’t know. Seems they need to clear payroll but I’m not sure what they have to get in return. 

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

What else do the Jays have that's MLB-ready that we would want? 

I don’t like them as a trade partner. I’ve heard about Phillies talks with Mick Abel involved. I’m really not sure though. My guess is that Sox would like to keep Hendriks 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I really don’t know. Seems they need to clear payroll but I’m not sure what they have to get in return. 

I don’t like them as a trade partner. I’ve heard about Phillies talks with Mick Abel involved. I’m really not sure though. My guess is that Sox would like to keep Hendriks 

I don't like idea of trading Liam at all but boy Abel would be an exciting get.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thread needs some Benintendi highlights from 2022 : It's all offense , no defense in the highlights.

Ugh that dropped pop up bloop by AV reminded me exactly why this was so necessary. So excited to see improved defense!!!!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

Nimmo was obviously the best move they could have made, but that deal was also twice the value of this one. Jerry ain't paying that. 

The deal is expected to push the White Sox's payroll over $200 million for the second consecutive season.  For a team that's the second option in the third biggest market how can we keep saying JR's cheap when our payroll has been higher than the Cubs the last two years.  I don't blame JR as much anymore, the real blame should go to the GM's Williams and Hahn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I truly don’t get the mindset of giving out the biggest contract in franchise history only to turnaround and trade your best reliever. I’m hopeful this signals that they are going for it (at least in White Sox terms) and that more move are coming to improve the team, not hurt it. 

27 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

The deal is expected to push the White Sox's payroll over $200 million for the second consecutive season.  For a team that's the second option in the third biggest market how can we keep saying JR's cheap when our payroll has been higher than the Cubs the last two years.  I don't blame JR as much anymore, the real blame should go to the GM's Williams and Hahn.

It seems pretty obvious they aren’t allowed to sign premium players to premium contracts though, right?

• Like 1

It’s an over pay, but so is every other decent-good-great free agent signing. It’s about as good as a signing you can hope from these jackals in the FO, so I am pleasantly surprised. IF this comes at the expense of trading away Liam for “salary relief” then f*** these clowns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1