Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I bet we see a few of the relievers traded for close to the Majors relief prospects.  I still can’t believe they think they have a prayer next year with this broken core .

They are telling the public they intend to compete to not crater season tickets further, already around 10K + (I expect 8.5K ish for 2024, April games under 10K total attendance).

Based on their actions, 2021 and 2022 were the two years they appeared to intend to compete, albeit with no starting RF, 2B or capable Catcher (Both Hit and Catch).

I can see them say they are competing even after shipping Bummer and Graveman, possibly Middleton and or Touki. Would keep Santos unless blown away. I'm going to puke if Hahn signs Lynn for 2024.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m 50/50 on this Bob claim being true.  But if it is, I still see Lynn, Middleton, & Kelly being moved at minimum, with Clevinger, Graveman, & Bummer also being possibilities.

I agree with the pitchers, though I believe no starting position players are going.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They are telling the public they intend to compete to not crater season tickets further, already around 10K + (I expect 8.5K ish for 2024, April games under 10K total attendance).

Based on their actions, 2021 and 2022 were the two years they appeared to intend to compete, albeit with no starting RF, 2B or capable Catcher (Both Hit and Catch).

I can see them say they are competing even after shipping Bummer and Graveman, possibly Middleton and or Touki. Would keep Santos unless blown away. I'm going to puke if Hahn signs Lynn for 2024.

Lynn is 100% getting moved.  Nightengale basically confirmed he will be the next piece traded.  The question then becomes are they really serious about competing next year or is this simply posturing.  My gut tells me they are open to trading Cease or Tim, but only if they get sufficient value.  I just can’t imagine Rick actually believes there is a path to competition next year and the Giolito doesn’t actually help in that regard.

The guys they got back in this trade lead to believe they are punting on 2024. Otherwise they would have gotten an MLB ready SP for Giolito (like a Pepiot or Stone). With that in mind, they should trade TA and Cease too because there is no purpose in letting them rot on a bad team next year and lowering their value.

• Like 4
  • TLR 1

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The guys they got back in this trade lead to believe they are punting on 2024. Otherwise they would have gotten an MLB ready SP for Giolito (like a Pepiot or Stone). With that in mind, they should trade TA and Cease too because there is no purpose in letting them rot on a bad team next year and lowering their value.

If they make the right trades with those guys, they might be able to compete by 2025.  And that would be great because you’d still have three years of Robert.

48 minutes ago, tray said:

I hate trading a top of rotation major league starter for a number 84  minor league prospect under any circumstances..including when Gio's contract was expiring. 

"Player development"  is overrated. Talent evaluation is far more important. I don't get what they see in Quero.

See, I stand by my thoughts that the Sox are actually OK at finding talented players.

They're horrendous at developing though. Like possibly the worst in the majors. 

Look at how many players left the org and have soared elsewhere AND look at how many talented players have come here, including on the current team, and just imploded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lynn is 100% getting moved.  Nightengale basically confirmed he will be the next piece traded.  The question then becomes are they really serious about competing next year or is this simply posturing.  My gut tells me they are open to trading Cease or Tim, but only if they get sufficient value.  I just can’t imagine Rick actually believes there is a path to competition next year and the Giolito doesn’t actually help in that regard.

I mentioned Lynn as returning as a 2024 FA signing. Don't expect the acquiring team to take Lynn's club 2024 option.

They still need starting RF, 2B and catchers, and 3-4 starters and 3-4 relievers to credibly compete for a title in 2024, and a lot of things to go right with what they have (Tim, Yoan, Eloy, others).

I'm not sold Colas and Burger can start through the season in RF / 2B, and FA is really bad based on the Sportrac FA 2024 tracker for all three starter needs.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/2nd-base/

I don't see Jerry bumping payroll significantly to fill all they need to fill. I give zero credence to selling "a competitive team in the AL Central", a bullshit goal (85 wins, 3-5% chance to win four series through the WS). 2016 was the last year an AL Central team won a Division series, let alone credibly competed for a WS.

• Thanks 1

The "compete in 2024" talk is just posturing to sell season tickets. They'll trade virtually the whole bullpen (hopefully), reduce payroll, and make scrap heap SP adds in the off season. Then this time next year is when we'll see Eloy and Cease moved. They will call this a "retool" or some such BS in the off season, but it's really the beginning of another rebuild. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Capn12 said:

We got 2 of their top 5 prospects, for a rental of Giolito, while also shedding salary with ReyLo.

I hate the organization, but there is nothing wrong with that return.

Exactly, this time last year some people on here were calling for Giolito do be Dfa'd. Getting 2 top 5 prospects is a fair trade, if only the Sox development could actually help them progress into good MLB players.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Based on Bob's tweets about the Sox intending to compete in 2024, I only expect Lynn and Kelly to go at this point with him stating they are looking to compete in 2024.

I guess Clevinger is a remote possibility, though between his past and injury, I think the Sox have to eat that deal. Grandal and Elvis are the last two 2024 FAs.

The Five 2025 Free Agents / Buyout Eligible Players:

• Anderson (2024 $14M or unlikely $1M Buyout)
  • Moncada (2024 $24M + 2025 $5M Buyout)
  • Eloy (2024 $13M + 2025 $3M and 2026 $3M Buyouts or club options)
  • Graveman (2024 $8M)
  • Bummer (2024 $5.5M, 2025 & 2026 $1.25M Club Option buyouts ($7.25M 2025 / $7.5M 2026)

Everyone who’s on an expiring deal this season should be dealt. Not doing so is malpractice. 

Edited by Joshua Strong
  • Like 2

Solid deal. Can’t complain aboit getting one of the best catching prospects in the game for like 10 Gio starts. Bush for ReyLo seems fine; arguably LAAs best pitching prospect. Nice deal on paper, and not even prospects that are mlb ready. A few Soxtalk narratives squashed with this deal!

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

There was a big guarantee Hahn would target players with a top 100 ranking and a high org ranking. He doesn’t know how to scout talent and doesn’t trust his scouts he hires and doesn’t fire, so it’s important for him to get outside validation.

I like Quero though. Sox fans think we are aggressive with assignments. But AA for Quero who lost so much time with the pandemic stuff is crazy aggressive.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

However - Keith Law was much higher on his defensive skills - which need to develop - than his power. He thinks the league he was in last year inflated optimism on the power and he may not have much more strength.

Ill leave it up to you all if you think this org can develop a raw defensive catcher.

Id say it’s possible, they sure have focused a lot of energy on developing catchers who clearly had no shot. 

Quero on the brewers? Look out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

The "compete in 2024" talk is just posturing to sell season tickets. They'll trade virtually the whole bullpen (hopefully), reduce payroll, and make scrap heap SP adds in the off season. Then this time next year is when we'll see Eloy and Cease moved. They will call this a "retool" or some such BS in the off season, but it's really the beginning of another rebuild. 

Oh man… this is so on point. Well done.

5 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Little side note. Hope it works for them, man. Gio deserves some playoff baseball...and I suppose fish guy and unicorn man do too.

But after that, I hope Ohtani goes to the NL so Luis can actually compete for MVP at some point, and we pay Gio his worth to bring him back in the offseason after he's enjoyed some Cali weather. Let me dream.

You can’t dream until 1:49 a.m. on Sept. 23 this year, then you get about three months.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

However - Keith Law was much higher on his defensive skills - which need to develop - than his power. He thinks the league he was in last year inflated optimism on the power and he may not have much more strength.

Ill leave it up to you all if you think this org can develop a raw defensive catcher.

Id say it’s possible, they sure have focused a lot of energy on developing catchers who clearly had no shot. 

Quero on the brewers? Look out.

I agree. Jeferson Quero is probably the better prospect and he is just as blocked (by Contreras) as Edgar was (by O'Hoppe). But let's say Edgar doesn't develop much power. My comp for him is the Sox version of Narvaez, only he switch hits and has a much stronger throwing arm. So he's a lower-in-the order contributor instead of what would have been essentially a 3rd rounder if the Sox gave Gio a QO.  Not bad. Probably not an All Star, but not bad.

In response to a question Hahn said on August 2 he would take time to sit back and think and enjoy a cigar and a drink

If Rick gets anything more than a swisher sweet and warm old Milwaukee's Best, there's something wrong with this world.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I agree. Jeferson Quero is probably the better prospect and he is just as blocked (by Contreras) as Edgar was (by O'Hoppe). But let's say Edgar doesn't develop much power. My comp for him is the Sox version of Narvaez, only he switch hits and has a much stronger throwing arm. So he's a lower-in-the order contributor instead of what would have been essentially a 3rd rounder if the Sox gave Gio a QO.  Not bad. Probably not an All Star, but not bad.

I do think this shows the influence of Shirley instead of hostetlers era. Us getting younger ascending players sure is better than 24 year old players near 40 man roster crunch with back injuries that have a few months before they lose all value.

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic