Fire Pedro Grifol

Chicago White Sox

The way Getz amd Pedro are talking right now, they should be held accountable if this team sucks. If they are trying to sell it's a good team, if it is, they get a ton of credit. If it isn't, it should be noted thousands who sit in the stands and pay to attend games knew way better. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The way Getz amd Pedro are talking right now, they should be held accountable if this team sucks. If they are trying to sell it's a good team, if it is, they get a ton of credit. If it isn't, it should be noted thousands who sit in the stands and pay to attend games knew way better. 

It’s pretty shocking to me that they keep running their mouths about how great their offseason was.  I don’t see the benefit in doing this when the team is most likely going to crash hard and fast in the standings.  They are going to look like even bigger clowns once it happens.  Do they think fans with a clue are also going to be “surprised” like them when the bottom half of the order that was acquired this offseason doesn’t hit a lick?

Oh geez, I just don’t know why our offense is struggling with DeJong, Lopez, Maldonado, and Pillar at the bottom of our lineup?  Aw shucks, it’s just not our year!

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

59 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

On one hand, I completely understand they can't come out and say "We have no talent and we aren't spending money, prepare for a lousy season."

On the other hand, I really feel insulted that they are trying to blow smoke up the fans ass that this is a competitive roster. I get it, don't come out and say were fucked but man at least don't pretend that this is even remotely close to a good roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, T R U said:

On one hand, I completely understand they can't come out and say "We have no talent and we aren't spending money, prepare for a lousy season."

On the other hand, I really feel insulted that they are trying to blow smoke up the fans ass that this is a competitive roster. I get it, don't come out and say were fucked but man at least don't pretend that this is even remotely close to a good roster.

All they have to do is speak in very broad general terms, "this is a work in progress, we aren't where we need to be or want to be yet..."

That simple concept seems to be beyond their understanding.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

All they have to do is speak in very broad general terms, "this is a work in progress, we aren't where we need to be or want to be yet..."

That simple concept seems to be beyond their understanding.

Yeah I can get behind that.

"We feel pretty good about our camp and the roster going to Chicago." ....the only thing that makes this an acceptable response is if the question was "Do you guys think you can finish at least 4th place in the AL Central?"

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I do presume any losing team's manager and GM would probably be saying the same things.  But Grifol just seems even more over the top than I've seen.  I do get the - you don't want to say we suck - cause teams have to have some belief, even if they know the odds are extremely low and they need to have that mindset that they have a chip on their shoulder.  

For many of these players - the reality is - the chip is them playing well enough to get sent somewhere else - cause very few of the players on the opening day roster are likely on this roster in 3 years, but if they do well - they can certainly help make the roster that the club has in 3 years much better (in terms of helping the club use them to acquire prospect capital or draft picks or international money, etc).  

2 hours ago, T R U said:

While I don’t follow the Sox as closely as I used to, I don’t think Pedro is trying to sell to the fans. I really believe he thinks all the ra-ra bullshit is going to fire up his players and the team. It won’t, they will be terrible, but I think he believes in taking this ultra-optimistic approach with the media is the way to go. 

He was in WAY over his head the day he was hired, but he was most likely one of the only candidates that would accept the job 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tony said:

While I don’t follow the Sox as closely as I used to, I don’t think Pedro is trying to sell to the fans. I really believe he thinks all the ra-ra bullshit is going to fire up his players and the team. It won’t, they will be terrible, but I think he believes in taking this ultra-optimistic approach with the media is the way to go. 

Mostly agree, and I also think he has no concept of communicating with the fans through the media, so everything he says comes off as smug and arrogant.

Pedro, The Great Communicator.

Sox should hold a raffle. 25$ a ticket. On August 1st, the winner gets to fire Pedro personally

in front all the other ticket buyers. All proceeds go to Sox charities. It will be the largest donation

they've ever received.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

He was in WAY over his head the day he was hired, but he was most likely one of the only candidates that would accept the job 

I understand Joe Espada wanting no part of this, but I can't believe no one else was willing to go for one of only 30 MLB manager jobs. Maybe no one else wanted it at the salary Reinsdorf was willing to pay, but that's different.

Weren't there a ****ton of reports about Bruce Bochy being interested? 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I understand Joe Espada wanting no part of this, but I can't believe no one else was willing to go for one of only 30 MLB manager jobs. Maybe no one else wanted it at the salary Reinsdorf was willing to pay, but that's different.

Weren't there a ****ton of reports about Bruce Bochy being interested? 

Then don't believe it. See, how hard was that? 

You have to think that there is a warning sign hanging over the white Sox org due to the way things have been done, and when JR pulled the rug on Hinch and went with TLR it went noticed.  Couple that with the results over the last two years, and you have to think that has adversely affected interest in the job to the point where guys (who just wanted that job so bad it didn’t matter where it came from) like Pedro were the ones who were in the final group that Hahn/Kenny chose from

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

You have to think that there is a warning sign hanging over the white Sox org due to the way things have been done, and when JR pulled the rug on Hinch and went with TLR it went noticed.  Couple that with the results over the last two years, and you have to think that has adversely affected interest in the job to the point where guys (who just wanted that job so bad it didn’t matter where it came from) like Pedro were the ones who were in the final group that Hahn/Kenny chose from

I think they probably had plenty of interested parties, but Grifol told them what a great job they were doing and played to their already-existing prejudices about how baseball should be run.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think they probably had plenty of interested parties, but Grifol told them what a great job they were doing and played to their already-existing prejudices about how baseball should be run.

You are very likely correct.

He's a smooth talking corporate bootlicker who will do or say anything to get the gig.

Dude gave them all the confirmation bias they wanted in interviews and also dropped big hints that he would be a "cheap date" which prolly led to JR giving Hahn a wry smile and an affirming nod of the head on the other side of the interview table.

Pedro is a fucking loser, but then again this is a fucking loser organization so it's a compatible marriage. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 4

Pedro Grifol is a legend. The only guy who could make you really miss and appreciate the managerial acumen of Ricky Renteria.

On another note how many sox players this year could potentially have worse numbers than Ricky had when he played. .237 4 hrs, 41 rbis in his career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm right there with you. I tune in here and that's it! I've followed this team for too many years and to now be given this garbage. No thanks!