Kopech to the bullpen, Urena starting Saturday.

Lip Man 1

From DVS story tonight in the Sun-Times. Have the Sox seen enough of his struggles?

Sox probable starters for the weekend series in Detroit list Saturday as TBD in Michael Kopech’s turn. Kopech (5.31 ERA) has walked 31 batters and allowed 24 earned runs in his last 28 13 innings over seven starts. He was pulled from his start Sunday after recording just five outs and walking five batters. “We’re still in the process of communicating, not with Kopech, but as an organization, to see what we’re going to do,” Grifol said. “Why? That’s going to stay internal.”

Story also said Crochet started another rehab assignment in Birmingham. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From DVS story tonight in the Sun-Times. Have the Sox seen enough of his struggles?

Sox probable starters for the weekend series in Detroit list Saturday as TBD in Michael Kopech’s turn. Kopech (5.31 ERA) has walked 31 batters and allowed 24 earned runs in his last 28 13 innings over seven starts. He was pulled from his start Sunday after recording just five outs and walking five batters. “We’re still in the process of communicating, not with Kopech, but as an organization, to see what we’re going to do,” Grifol said. “Why? That’s going to stay internal.”

Story also said Crochet started another rehab assignment in Birmingham. 

I'm hoping that Crochet will be in the 2024 White Sox starting rotation and Kopech is on another team.

16 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I'm hoping that Crochet will be in the 2024 White Sox starting rotation and Kopech is on another team.

Crochet has thrown 19 innings since 2021 (and he only threw 54 in 2021) and can't stay healthy.  He isn't going to be in the Sox starting rotation next year.  He needs to build innings. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Crochet has thrown 19 innings since 2021 (and he only threw 54 in 2021) and can't stay healthy.  He isn't going to be in the Sox starting rotation next year.  He needs to build innings. 

....so will he be penciled in as the #2 or #3 starter to open 2024, then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Sox need plenty of pen arms.  In the highly unlikely event that the Sox acquire enough SP that Kopech isn't needed in the rotation (pipe dream), may as well stick him in the pen as opposed to selling at his lowest point.

25 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Maybe he would greatly benefit health wise from having the daily routine of a starting pitcher rather than the volatile routine of a relief pitcher.  Only one way to find out. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

The Kopech, Crochet, Lambert, Bummer, Santos bullpen next year is gonna lock s%*# down!

Don't forget Shaw with 130 appearances.

(Seriously I actually hope they bring him back. Much needed leader in the pen. Imagine Kopech crying about pitching too much in front of him)

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Maybe he would greatly benefit health wise from having the daily routine of a starting pitcher rather than the volatile routine of a relief pitcher.  Only one way to find out. 

The Tennessee Volunteers found that out for us.

Up until this point, since high school, so 3 years in college, he has pitched 202 innings and made 13 starts, and has been injured at least 4 times.

Edited by Dick Allen

The 27-year-old right-hander put together a solid first half despite walking 49 in 86 innings, striking out 97 and posting a 4.08 ERA through 17 starts. But Kopech’s fortunes have dipped through 10 second-half starts, with a 7.49 ERA, 39 hits and 11 home runs allowed and 40 walks issued against 32 strikeouts in 39 2/3 innings. Kopech and Dylan Cease are the only starters presently penciled into the 2024 rotation. So, the White Sox would like to see a strong finishing kick from a hard-working hurler who has not completed at least six innings since June 4 and has worked less than five in five straight starts. -- Scott Merkin

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The Tennessee Volunteers found that out for us.

Up until this point, since high school, so 3 years in college, he has pitched 202 innings and made 13 starts, and has been injured at least 4 times.

Yeah i'm a bit skeptical to say the least that being a starter is a return to health. I still buy doing it because he wants to, and we aren't doing s%*# anyways.

11 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

That's what would happen in about twenty MLB franchises. We ain't one of those. 

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

At this point, unless I was willing to send Kopech down, yeah I'd try him in the bullpen next year too. If he gets off to a good start in the pen, that's a tradeable asset at the deadline and people would pay for that. 

Sounds closer to a fantasy than reality.  Trade is a bad word.  Sox would still get fleeced. Baseball might be running out of naive GMs since the most of them land here.

The idea is stupid to being with.  Let him learn to pitch the rest of the season.  Somehow we have hopes there is another Rick Hahn or Chris Getz that only sees the million dollar arm and not the 10 cent brain.  They could easily find dumpster dive pitchers better than him.  There are career minor leaguers that could produce the same result.

Someone in the organization doesn't wanted to admit failure and still trying to develop him. 

He and Bummer are the untouchables.  That also means no GM would touch them either.

Edited by kitekrazy

21 hours ago, Highland said:

The Kopech situation has been mishandled from day one. Might as well keep him for now because the staff is so depleted. He can't be expected to be part of the rotation next year.

How has he been mishandled?  I hear this narrative a lot because en vogue to bash all things White Sox.  I'm just curious as to why you feel this way..........

• Balta1701 changed the title to Kopech to the bullpen, Urena starting Saturday.