2023 Division Series

flavum

3 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Moreno hit one out, had it called foul, and then hit one fair on the next pitch.

This is probably the best feeling you can achieve as a hitter. I know cause it happened to me in middle school gym class during indoor whiffle ball. 😂

• Love 1

Friedman’s fingerprints are on other areas of this humiliation. The Dodgers are still clearly lacking a championship core and Friedman let two championship players walk.

Remember Seager and Cody Bellinger? Think these Dodgers could use their postseason DNA?

It’s been clear for several years that these Dodgers are built for the long stretches of the regular season, not the quick bursts of October, and their playoff hopes have paid the price.

For the first time this fall, the Dodgers’ business side is also appearing to pay the price, as there were empty seats at Dodger Stadium for Game 2 even though it was announced as a sellout.

Folks are sick of their organizational philosophy. These continuous flops are almost too much to bear. Something needs to change, or the Dodgers are going to lose their beloved grip on the community.

That something is not Roberts. That something is on the plate of Friedman. He needs to figure it out. He needs to fix it.

The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result.

This is insane.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2023-10-11/dodgers-plaschke-nlds-elimination-arizona-diamondbacks

Edited by caulfield12

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Folks are sick of their organizational philosophy. These continuous flops are almost too much to bear. Something needs to change, or the Dodgers are going to lose their beloved grip on the community.

The Satan worship first pitch debacle in June didn't help their "beloved grip on the community", nor did their TV issues for several seasons where a large portion of LA cable TV subscribers did not have access to Dodgers games. More penny smart dollar foolish policies by the "stewards of the game".

Every human on the planet should be able to pay MLB/MLB.TV $X for access to every game played. Period. A portion of that could be reimbursed to ESPN/FOX for their contracts, and if you need a local add on fee to reimburse cable partners until their current agreements end, than fine do it. With the Bally's debacle, it was a perfect opportunity to fix this mess for a large swath of the league.

• Hawk 1

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Cot’s Contracts has the Dodgers at $267.2M in taxable salary and benefits, or $34.2M over the 2023 threshold of $233M. Not sure why there is such a wide disparity with these numbers and Spotrac, which I assume you are using.

I believe Cot’s is more accurate, in part, because I read the Angels still finished over the threshold, but Spotrac has the Angels listed under the tax threshold. Perhaps Spotrac is not including benefits, trades or other inputs, or perhaps both have inaccuracies.

Teams over the threshold on both sites: (Cot’s listed first, Spotrac second)

1. NYM $376.4M vs. $375.8M
  2. NYY $298.5M vs. $294.5M
  3. SDP $296.0M vs. $283.5M
  4. LAD $267.2M vs. $239.2M
  5. PHI $263.7M vs. $255.7M
  6. TOR $258.0M vs. $252.0M
  7. ATL $250.5M vs. $246.0M

Teams over via Cot’s Contracts but not Spotrac:

1. TEX $241.9M vs. $227.8M
  2. LAA $236.5M vs. $227.9M

As far as I can tell, Lance Lynn on the Cot’s page shows as having a tax value of $19 million, which is half the value of his $38 million contract. However, the Dodgers only paid 1/3 of that amount since he was only there for 2 months. It doesn’t look like Cot’s has a step in there to prorate the value of contracts acquired midseason when adding up the tax total. Joke Kelly similarly shows up at $8.5 million.

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Satan worship first pitch debacle in June didn't help their "beloved grip on the community", nor did their TV issues for several seasons where a large portion of LA cable TV subscribers did not have access to Dodgers games. More penny smart dollar foolish policies by the "stewards of the game".

Every human on the planet should be able to pay MLB/MLB.TV $X for access to every game played. Period. A portion of that could be reimbursed to ESPN/FOX for their contracts, and if you need a local add on fee to reimburse cable partners until their current agreements end, than fine do it. With the Bally's debacle, it was a perfect opportunity to fix this mess for a large swath of the league.

Satan worship? The f***?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

Ha ... my guy Abreu homered again tonight. And the Sox wouldn't resign him and tons of fans were ready for him to leave. Result, Sox 101 losses; Astros happy! Way to go Jose Abreu! You sir are a 'winner' advanced stats be darned.

Houston fans and media were not happy with Jose until the last few days. Trust me they have been bitching about his contract all season and not liking the signing. 

That being said...I'm really happy for Jose and I will be seeing him Wednesday.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Thankfully, the Phillies and Rangers methods of competing (farm system/development AND generous FA spending in combination) are winning out in the end.

Not that it will impact the way that the White Sox do business in the least.

Its amazing the effect of first and second year, homegrown players, are having on those teams. 

Develop talent, sign good free agents and have experienced management lead them. 

Seems simple. 

12 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Its amazing the effect of first and second year, homegrown players, are having on those teams. 

Develop talent, sign good free agents and have experienced management lead them that stays awake in dugouts.

Seems simple. 

Fixed.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Houston fans and media were not happy with Jose until the last few days. Trust me they have been bitching about his contract all season and not liking the signing. 

That's cause Houston is full of NERDS THAT USE ADVANCED STATS.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

“I was telling (Astros strength and conditioning coach Hazael) Wessin before the game during the stretch that I was very excited because I had never celebrated twice in the same season in my career,” Abreu said through an interpreter. “And I’m just very grateful.”

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, chw42 said:

This is probably the best feeling you can achieve as a hitter. I know cause it happened to me in middle school gym class during indoor whiffle ball. 😂

My son did exactly this in a little league playoff game I was coaching last year.  He hit a three-run homer oppo to right field where it landed clearly fair.  But no line out there and no fences in a public park, so the other coach -- a d-bag who'd been whining and screaming all game -- screamed and lobbied the ump to call it foul.  Which he did--while my son was rounding third getting ready to celebrate with his teammates.  He had to go back to the plate with his teammates all still yelling and apoplectic that they'd had three runs taken off the board. Next pitch he put one in basically the same place, maybe a few feet further in from the "foul line."  He stared down the ump as he crossed home plate, which I scolded him never to do again, but it was secretly my proudest moment 😆

Thanks for indulging my anonymous brag.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

JR claims to be a baseball fan.  If so he is watching these playoffs and saying, yes Harper, Wheeler and Verlander are doing well but what about Machado, DeGrom, Betts.....see I am right.  Jon Jay was the right play for RF.

What a clown.

Why did Jon jay always look like he was running in sand in the OF?

11 hours ago, Quin said:

This photo lives rent free in my head.

DrfvQCmVAAAYPC_?format=jpg&name=medium

One of them would have been phenomenal, but god dammit now I'm imagining Jerry do the actual brilliant thing for an owner (build a contender) and signing not one (which would have been great) but both of these dudes. Both of their contracts would have been bargains considering how contracts have gone up (Machado's new deal notwithstanding).

The flipside is that it in this magical Jerry Spends Money world, something horrible would have happened and baseball would have been deprived of two stars.

Where’s that picture from?

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Satan worship? The f***?

A bunch of freaks who purposely try to be controversial.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/dodgers-pride-night-timeline-club-re-invites-sisters-of-perpetual-indulgence-to-lgbtq-celebration/amp/

• Thanks 1

You know...its funny.

The White Sox tried to do it the Rangers way.

Sucked. Got high draft picks. Signed/Traded for young talent. Courted big name free agents.

Difference? Ownership/Management. 

Couldn't scout or develop the young talent and ownership would not pay the free agents.

What could have been...

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Friedman’s fingerprints are on other areas of this humiliation. The Dodgers are still clearly lacking a championship core and Friedman let two championship players walk.

Remember Seager and Cody Bellinger? Think these Dodgers could use their postseason DNA?

It’s been clear for several years that these Dodgers are built for the long stretches of the regular season, not the quick bursts of October, and their playoff hopes have paid the price.

For the first time this fall, the Dodgers’ business side is also appearing to pay the price, as there were empty seats at Dodger Stadium for Game 2 even though it was announced as a sellout.

That something is not Roberts. That something is on the plate of Friedman. He needs to figure it out. He needs to fix it.

The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result.

This is insane.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2023-10-11/dodgers-plaschke-nlds-elimination-arizona-diamondbacks

This sentiment is idiotic.  Baseball is a random generator sport.  Unlike the other major sports...maybe hockey is similar, the playoffs are an absolute crapshoot.  The goal of any organization should be to make it there.  Once there, all bets are off. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Where’s that picture from?

A United Center employee snapped it during the Harper/Machado offseason. It's the UC.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Lance Lynn is such a fraud. 

No no no. It was definitely Moncada's defense causing him to give up home runs in the NLDS.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This sentiment is idiotic.  Baseball is a random generator sport.  Unlike the other major sports...maybe hockey is similar, the playoffs are an absolute crapshoot.  The goal of any organization should be to make it there.  Once there, all bets are off. 

Plaschke has always been an absolute moron so not surprising.  And the Dodgers during their run have won a World Series, made two others and made the NLCS 5 times.  Beyond hilarious to say they weren't built for the playoffs for several years when they won the World Series in 2020 and made the NLCS in 2021 and in 2021 Kershaw was hurt and then Roberts royally messed up their rotation by overusing Urias and Scherzer out of the pen.  But a team with Scherzer, Buehler and Urias in the rotation is clearly set up to win in the playoffs.

Plus look at the Braves, they win the World Series two years ago and now they are on the verge of losing in the NLDS the two subsequent years despite having much better teams in both of those years.  I think the playoff setup for baseball is also really really dumb since expanding beyond four teams.  Two years ago a 106 win Dodgers team had to play a Wild Card game and then play the 107 win Giants just to make the NLCS (which messed up their pitching bad as discussed above). 

They haven't had the postseason success they should have had for their talent level but s%*# happens sometimes in baseball.  And their team this year looks way different if their pitching staff wasn't completely ravaged by injuries plus Urias being a piece of garbage.  Not many teams are going to have a ton of pitching left when you lose Gonsolin, May, Buehler and Urias.  I mean that is a couple top of the rotation type guys and solid depth. 

I assume they are going to go hard after Ohtani this offseason and also try to sign a starting pitcher and if they do they will 100+ again next year and be formidable in the postseason if their pitching is healthy.

Edited by whitesoxfan99
  • Thanks 1