Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

That was a lazy comparison by Parkins. Why pick on Robert, our only good player? He coulda said Benetti is better broadcaster than Timmy is a SS or Vaughn is a 1Bman, etc. Robert like I said is the only good above average player on the team.

He's not picking on Robert. He named the best player on the team on purpose. He's acknowledging how good he is, and then saying Benetti is even somehow better at his job in order to illustrate how highly he regards Jason.

Being better at your job than Andrew Vaughn is a seriously low bar and not much of a compliment.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RG23SoxFan said:

It's appeasing to me lol.  I know I am in the very small minority but couldn't stand listening to the clown.  As much as I like listening to Stone I would mute it when watching the games.

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen on this forum and that’s impressive. 

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly.  I have no problem if people don’t like Jason and are excited for change, but the Sox don’t deserve credit here.  Jason is a star in the sports announcing community and grew up a fan of the franchise.  There is definitely a group of fans that don’t like his style, but generally speaking he is well liked by the broader fanbase.  To lose him after a 100 loss season is simply embarrassing and to an equally pathetic franchise in the same s%*# division no less.

It’s really embarrassing. It’s the White Sox under Jerry Reinsdorf though. Short-sighted, penny wise and pound foolish, etc. 

8 hours ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

Sounds like Mike Monaco has been offered the job.  Would be a great addition. 

I’m sure Brooks Boyer has a fucking stiffy just thinking about putting a lame broadcaster from Notre Dame in the booth 

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

That was a lazy comparison by Parkins. Why pick on Robert, our only good player? He coulda said Benetti is better broadcaster than Timmy is a SS or Vaughn is a 1Bman, etc. Robert like I said is the only good above average player on the team.

It’s not lazy. Robert is the best player on the team. It was a good way to point out how good Benetti is at his job. Saying he’s better at his job than Andrew Vaughn isn’t a compliment but Andrew Vaughn sucks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

O.K. Location Your Mom, how's this?

Benetti is quick and clever and will eventually become a sports broadcaster on a national level.  Few are better at prep on stats.  His promos/commercials are at a elite level.  I don't think he is suited to baseball.  He has an annoying teasing way of asking questions that he gets away with for reasons I won't mention.  After years of listening to hall of famers Caray and Harrelson, he pales in comparison.  I think the White Sox may have wanted him to only do sox games on days they played and that had much to do with his leaving.  I am glad he is leaving.

Be snarky all you like to begin this response...It doesn't raise your level of discourse at all.

Also realize you (and others here) are in a incredibly small group being glad about one the best broadcasters in baseball is now leaving your club.
He grew up a bigger fan than you, overcame huge obstacles and still became a top PBP man in Chicago and nationwide
He is so highly regarded around the country compared to any of his colleagues. He will now promote, even indirectly, the Detroit Tigers, when he is on Fox and ESPN.

Finally understand how this is symptom of the bigger White Sox disease and being complacent to it...helps them spread it. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

I just don't understand how anyone can defend that he was a good White Sox announcer. He was a total goofball, almost at all times.

The difference is on the national level he isn't working on his stand up routine like he did during White Sox games. He can be a great announcer and one of the best in the business while not being a very good White Sox announcer. They aren't mutually exclusive.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

I just don't understand how anyone can defend that he was a good White Sox announcer. He was a total goofball, almost at all times.

The difference is on the national level he isn't working on his stand up routine like he did during White Sox games. He can be a great announcer and one of the best in the business while not being a very good White Sox announcer. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Can you blame him with the goofball product on the field?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

He's forbidden by the team to tell the truth about what is going on in the field, so what the f*** is he supposed to do in the booth?

19 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I disagree, mainly because "real, identifiable and passionate" are all words I would use to describe Jason.

I definitely respect that.  I’m sure he’s a great person too—the on-air act just never landed with me.  People do come across differently in other people’s eyes.  He came across cheesy and corny to me.  I think we should be giving people more reasons to take us seriously at a time like this rather than more reasons to write us off as the clown show the broadcasts often turned into.  This is not going to be an easy fix.  They keep putting more and more lipstick on the pig.  They need a rebuild AND a rebrand IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Funny thing is, people complained about that as well. There never will be someone in the booth everyone likes. Some will have really big issues with who ever calls a game.

Exactly.

There's only so much you can fill the air with objectivity without beating the s%*# out of your employer if they objectively suck in every way, shape, and form.

Benetti's a damn good announcer, and the Tigers are lucky to have him.

• Like 1

All these comments about Benetti being a “clown show” and a “total goofball” are kind of wild to me.

Like, if I hadn’t ever watched any games for myself, I’d have to assume that he was constantly putting whoopee cushions on Stone’s seat, pranking him with cans of peanut brittle, throwing rubber chickens around the booth and talking about getting the one shopping cart with the bad wheel rather than actually calling the game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I heard him and he’s correct. Jason Benetti is better at his job than anyone else currently employed by the White Sox. Benetti will do final fours and super bowls etc. He’s one of the best at his job in the country and he wanted to broadcast White Sox games. Jerry didn’t pony up and he’s never liked his style anyway. He’s a short-sighted old f*** though and he can’t be gone soon enough. 

You media people are about as delusional as it gets.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fathom said:

I turn on the Score and immediately hear Holmes saying he won’t go to any Sox games next year now and Parkins say “Benetti is a better broadcaster than Robert is a CF”.  The Robert one is possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

People in the media geniuenly believe they're a big reason why people watch.

So holmes won't go to games because benetti doesn't call them on TV? So he has to watch all 162 on TV instead? Or I guess they're boycotting part of their job. 

I watch baseball to watch Robert. Benetti's job doesn't even exist without Robert. 

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen on this forum and that’s impressive. 

It’s really embarrassing. It’s the White Sox under Jerry Reinsdorf though. Short-sighted, penny wise and pound foolish, etc. 

I’m sure Brooks Boyer has a fucking stiffy just thinking about putting a lame broadcaster from Notre Dame in the booth 

It’s not lazy. Robert is the best player on the team. It was a good way to point out how good Benetti is at his job. Saying he’s better at his job than Andrew Vaughn isn’t a compliment but Andrew Vaughn sucks. 

Oh no, someone has a different opinion about a guy in the media who's a friend of mine so they must be dumb.

As someone who liked benetti, this commentary about people stopping watching and following over a announcer is embarrassing at best. I watch baseball for the game. I go to games where there are no announcers and I enjoy it even more. I often mute games on my tablet so my wife can watch tv... because I'm a fan of baseball.

Benetti is going to be just fine. He doesn't need his media buddies to go defend his honor everywhere. In media, some people like you and some don't. People aren't idiots for disagreeing with that. 

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh no, someone has a different opinion about a guy in the media who's a friend of mine so they must be dumb.

As someone who liked benetti, this commentary about people stopping watching and following over a announcer is embarrassing at best. I watch baseball for the game. I go to games where there are no announcers and I enjoy it even more. I often mute games on my tablet so my wife can watch tv... because I'm a fan of baseball.

Benetti is going to be just fine. He doesn't need his media buddies to go defend his honor everywhere. In media, some people like you and some don't. People aren't idiots for disagreeing with that. 

Anyone who says they aren’t going to watch because Benetti left isn’t really serious. They will still watch. Don’t take that take too seriously.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Anyone who says they aren’t going to watch because Benetti left isn’t really serious. They will still watch. Don’t take that take too seriously.

The last straw for people should be if they trade Montgomery for Salvy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'm gonna still watch the Sox because they're my sunk cost fallacy and I know that I have a longer expected lifespan than Jerry.

I do wish I could watch the Mets though. If I could, I'd definitely be deviating. My sister-in-law didn't like baseball until she started dating her boyfriend, but because of their announcers she enjoys watching their games.

My dad did tell me he's gonna start watching more Dbacks games however, because he's just tired of the Sox nuking every shred of goodwill that they have.