Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Way too early to jump to these conclusions.  Getz is clearly going all in on defense this year, but I’m not yet convinced that he plans to build a small ball club long-term.  Right now, I think it’s about defense being inexpensive and him wanting to change the culture where we basically gave two shits about defense.

Bingo!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

Haven’t we learned that banking on prospect bats to pan out is a bad strategy?

Yes, they can definitely use more pitching, but they need SO many more bats to go with Colson and Ramos.

I love Ramos, but he does not belong in the same sentence with Montgomery, let alone Robert.  Robert is a superstar, Montgomery is a guy who has to pan out or they are screwed. Ramos is a guy trying to sneak into the Top 100, who may or may not end up a first division regular.  This org needs impact bats. Especially if this is all Vaughn ever becomes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

You are setting yourself up for extreme disappointment when it becomes readily apparent that "the plan" is to have Beni be the 2nd leading position player in HRs. 

They are going all in on pitching, D, speed and small ball. They don't care that there's a short porch for LHS at GRF.

Getz simply DGAF. 

It's almost as stupid as constructing a roster full of RHH like his predecessor did.

You're looking at 2024 as the end product of a plan, which is the wrong idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Getz is working on a 3 year plan of a remodel. Remodel as in, they leave up one wall with the electric box connection for tax  purposes after the rest of the structure was demo-ed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

True but for much of the time and most of the other parks this isn't the case. 

We've seen what happens when they try to tailor a team to the park for that time of year. It doesn't work. 

To be fair, neither does being out slugged at home all season. 

45 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I think Jermaine Dye would like to have a word. 

The 05 Sox were 5th in baseball in homers. They had 7 guys with 15+ homers. Obviously not a juggernaut offense by any means, but they got decent production up and down the lineup. Definitely not what I would call a “Konerko, Rowand, and Iguchi” offense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Snopek said:

The 05 Sox were 5th in baseball in homers. They had 7 guys with 15+ homers. Obviously not a juggernaut offense by any means, but they got decent production up and down the lineup. Definitely not what I would call a “Konerko, Rowand, and Iguchi” offense.

Pods/Iguchi first half...Konerko Crede Dye Everett AJ Uribe just enough pop.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

There's too much smoke here Jimmy. We're all hoping it's misdirection but it's coming from everywhere and was it Rogers who said Getz wants to go pitching heavy in this deal.

I pretty much give up at this point. 

And I don't think it would be done already if it's ATL. If they are truly desperate, then they'll be even more desperate when they are competing against the teams who lost out on Yamamoto, Snell, Montgomery etc.

If it's ATL they must get Kelenic plus both pitchers. There is no way around it. 

I'm sick and fucking tired of our lineup looking like trash against any semi-decent RHP. 

I think Getz would be limiting the return by going pitching heavy. Get the best 3 guys from one system even if the 3 are all pretty equal.

If Baltimore is keeping Cowser,Kjerstad, Holiday,  I think a package of  Coby Mayo, Dylan Beavers, Ortiz or Norby, Hall. Just take the best guys, no need to focus on pitching. You can trade Robert later for pitching. I'd love me some Andrew Painter after he heals up.

Beavers is a savage you havent heard much about yet. Power hasn't shown up in games yet and that's good. Underestimate him for now. He's just 22 . Did well in A+, even better but less ABs (134) in AA  in 2023.Tall, lean muscle , room to grow,  gun for an arm, great swing. I think he's primed for a big season this year . Not sure he'll be back in AA to start the season. Probably won't stick in CF but ideal for RF. Reminds me physically a bit of Bellinger , his swing looks smoother not as violent probably not as good a fielder or runner , maybe a better arm.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think Getz would be limiting the return by going pitching heavy. Get the best 3 guys from one system even if the 3 are all pretty equal.

I agree with this. If the best 3 are pitchers, they can certainly be flipped right over to a team looking for that in exchange for their 2B/OF LHH prospect. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snopek said:

Dye, Crede, Pods creating havoc at the top, AJ being AJ, they were way more than “Konerko, Rowand, and Iguchi” offensively. 

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

5 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

You're looking at 2024 as the end product of a plan, which is the wrong idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Getz is working on a 3 year plan of a remodel. Remodel as in, they leave up one wall with the electric box connection for tax  purposes after the rest of the structure was demo-ed

I would definitely be surprised if Getz got Reinsdorf to agree to a plan that involves them not competing until 2026.

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Dye, Crede, Pods creating havoc at the top, AJ being AJ, they were way more than “Konerko, Rowand, and Iguchi” offensively. 

They had the best balanced offense I could remember...among the top quarter of the league in home runs, stolen bases, sacrifice bunts, infield hits and sacrifice flies. 

They could beat you with a blast, a bloop or a bunt. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They had the best balanced offense I could remember...among the top quarter of the league in home runs, stolen bases, sacrifice bunts, infield hits and sacrifice flies. 

And yet, there are some posters here that s%*# on that team every chance they get.  Most of us got to witness one of the greatest teams go wire to wire, go 11-1 in the playoffs and people still come with the hot takes about them all the time.  Bunch of closet Cubs fans.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

30 minutes ago, soulfly said:

And yet, there are some posters here that s%*# on that team every chance they get.  Most of us got to witness one of the greatest teams go wire to wire, go 11-1 in the playoffs and people still come with the hot takes about them all the time.  Bunch of closet Cubs fans.

Ain’t a Sox fan on earth that doesn’t love everything about that team.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Exactly. That’s why I listed three players from 05 to show you can’t just state a group of three players is “impossible to build around”. The issue is whether you can build something well rounded.

19 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Exactly. That’s why I listed three players from 05 to show you can’t just state a group of three players is “impossible to build around”. The issue is whether you can build something well rounded.

Who said three players were “impossible to build around”?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulfly said:

Where? I’ve been on this board before the 2005 season, and in all my time, I’ve seen next to no negative comments toward that team. 

Now, if discussing how that core group didn’t make the playoffs in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and it’s now evident it was simply a “right place, right time” kind of season, that is definitely discussed here, but I think that’s more factual evidence than negative.

2005 is why every single Sox fan on this site is still here. The hope we get to see another one of those seasons. It was an incredible ride. I will absolutely have those memories for the rest of my life. But in 2023, it’s far from blasphemous to say that team was a “one year wonder” more than some powerhouse the brain trust at 35th and Shields built. It was a very good team. The 2006 team was also very good. But as quick as they arrived, it was over. That’s not really a debate, just what happened 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Hawk 1

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Pitching is why the White Sox won 99 games and the World Series. Period.

2005 MLB Team Stats:

fWAR Pitchers: 1st across MLB

• Starting Pitchers: 3rd
    • 5.9 Mark Buehrle
    • 4.0 Freddy Garcia
    • 3.5 Jon Garland
    • 3.3 Jose Contreras
    • 1.3 Orlando Hernandez
    • 0.5 Brandon McCarthy
  • Relief Pitchers: 2nd
    • 1.4 Neal Cotts
    • 1.3 Dustin Hermanson
    • 1.1 Cliff Politte
    • 1.0 Bobby Jenks
    • 0.3 Luis Vizcaino
    • 0.2 Damaso Marte
    • 0.1 Orlando Hernandez
    • 0.1 Jon Adkins
    • 0.0 Brandon McCarthy
    • 0.0 Kevin Walker
    • -0.1 Jeff Bajenaru
    • -0.1 David Sanders
    • -0.7 Shingo Takatsu

fWAR Position Players: 20th across MLB

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SkokieSox said:

Still… Shingo was the man 

We went crazy when he came in to close out a two hit combined shut out on Opening Day (1:30 mark). Buehrle with a speedy eight innings which helped with the cold (was fortunate to have sun in the upper deck 3rd base side).

Lost his grip on the closer roll near Mother’s Day, and released at the trade deadline, but gave the Sox a great 2004 during his “Rookie” Age 35 season.

Was definitely a top three year in terms of total Sox games I was able to attend (1985 and 1990 the other two) not counting games I worked as Andy Frain (mostly 1986).

• Love 1

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Pitching is why the White Sox won 99 games and the World Series. Period.

2005 MLB Team Stats:

fWAR Pitchers: 1st across MLB

• Starting Pitchers: 3rd
    • 5.9 Mark Buehrle
    • 4.0 Freddy Garcia
    • 3.5 Jon Garland
    • 3.3 Jose Contreras
    • 1.3 Orlando Hernandez
    • 0.5 Brandon McCarthy
  • Relief Pitchers: 2nd
    • 1.4 Neal Cotts
    • 1.3 Dustin Hermanson
    • 1.1 Cliff Politte
    • 1.0 Bobby Jenks
    • 0.3 Luis Vizcaino
    • 0.2 Damaso Marte
    • 0.1 Orlando Hernandez
    • 0.1 Jon Adkins
    • 0.0 Brandon McCarthy
    • 0.0 Kevin Walker
    • -0.1 Jeff Bajenaru
    • -0.1 David Sanders
    • -0.7 Shingo Takatsu

fWAR Position Players: 20th across MLB

Who made any comparison about why they won? I certainly didn't.

Pitching played a very large part in the success...but so did an offense that didn't need three home runs a game to win.

Say the word...balance...pitching, hitting, fielding AND some actually baseball smarts and knowledge of fundamentals.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic