Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

I can't believe they'd trade for a guy who couldn't hit 90mph.  

Let's say he is low 90s like everyone says.  Is it possible for guys his age/experience to just gain a couple mph or is he what he is at this point?

He’s Kyle Hendricks clone it seems now.  

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

I can't believe they'd trade for a guy who couldn't hit 90mph.  

Let's say he is low 90s like everyone says.  Is it possible for guys his age/experience to just gain a couple mph or is he what he is at this point?

He gained a couple MPH last year so more is definitely possible.

33 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Preller wouldn't do that to us

Ha. It is not a good sign at all that this kid was traded to us from San Diego and he isn't even hitting 90 this far into the Spring. 

Didn't one of the pieces in the Santos trade already go down with a shoulder issue? 

Trading for minor league pitching is extremely risky! Let's hope Thorpe isn't shut down soon as well. 

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s Kyle Hendricks clone it seems now.  

I think people too often try to compare kids like this to establish professionals. Hendricks is essentially a two pitch pitcher that excels at getting weak contact on pitches outside the zone (but still doesn't get a low of swinging strikes). You obviously need great command to execute in that way. But Thorpe throws a wide range of pitches and he predominantly lives in the zone. He's just getting people to swing and miss (at roughly twice the rate Hendricks has). He's also not getting the same level of weak contact. Hendricks is unique in that he can get high contact rates without throwing in the zone. Thorpe is limiting walks by throwing a lot of strikes (getting whiffs and strikeouts), but he's also getting hit a lot harder as a result. He profile is very similar to an elite backend bullpen guy with elite raw stuff who's just putting pitches over the plate (limits walks). How he's doing it is a bit of a mystery, you'd be hard pressed to find a current big leaguer that has a similar metric profile with the grade on his stuff (IE low velocity).

Edited by mac9001
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Ha. It is not a good sign at all that this kid was traded to us from San Diego and he isn't even hitting 90 this far into the Spring. 

Didn't one of the pieces in the Santos trade already go down with a shoulder issue? 

Trading for minor league pitching is extremely risky! Let's hope Thorpe isn't shut down soon as well. 

For the record, if this kid really was down in velocity because of an injury, it wouldn't be the worst thing because at least that would be a fixable reason.

12 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

I think people too often try to compare kids like this to establish professionals. Hendricks is essentially a two pitch pitcher that excels at getting weak contact on pitches outside the zone (but still doesn't get a low of swinging strikes). You obviously need great command to execute in that way. But Thorpe throws a wide range of pitches and he predominantly lives in the zone. He's just getting people to swing and miss (at roughly twice the rate Hendricks has). He's also not getting the same level of weak contact. Hendricks is unique in that he can get high contact rates without throwing in the zone. Thorpe is limiting walks by throwing a lot of strikes (getting whiffs and strikeouts), but he's also getting hit a lot harder as a result. He profile is very similar to an elite backend bullpen guy with elite raw stuff who's just putting pitches over the plate (limits walks). How he's doing it is a bit of a mystery, you'd be hard pressed to find a current big leaguer that probably has a similar metric profile with the grade on his stuff (IE low velocity).

Ain't that the truth. I'm old enough to remember when Yoan Moncada was going to be the next Robinson Cano and Michael Kopech the next Nolan Ryan lite... 

This kid Thorpe kid has a long long ways to go before he is the next Kyle Hendricks or anything close to it. 

11 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'll post this again. This change is so good, it would make Keith Foulke blush.

I like the way his catcher frames his pitches too. He pitches down in the zone a lot. The Catcher gives him the target about knee high then as Thorpe  is about to deliver the pitch he lowers his glove to nearly the ground and catches his low pitches bringing his glove up into the zone.

33 minutes ago, shoeless_joe21 said:

Thorpe's strikeout numbers are gaudy, his control is pinpoint, and his change is pure filth. I'm okay with him not being some jacked fireballer, like the version of Kopech we traded for. The guy can flat-out pitch.

Definitely the opposite of a Sox pitching prospect, someone who knows how to pitch. Iriarte on the other hand more up the Sox alley

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Definitely the opposite of a Sox pitching prospect, someone who knows how to pitch. Iriarte on the other hand more up the Sox alley

Do people think Iriarte is just some arm that can't hit the zone? He had a better whip and avg against than Nastrini last year and most people seem to think very highly of him.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Prelander.

Berroa was sidelined Tuesday due to an injury in his arm/shoulder, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Details regarding the nature of Berroa's injury or a potential return timeline are currently unknown. Berroa found consistent success at the Double-A level last year with a 2.76 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 101 strikeouts across 65.1 frames, and he held his own on the mound during his two MLB appearances with the Mariners. The 23-year-old reliever was in the hunt to make Chicago's Opening Day bullpen, but his injured shoulder could put his chances in jeopardy.

On 3/13/2024 at 8:03 PM, Pale Sox said:

Haha I’m serious though. Shields was a low 90’s guy with a killer changeup and good command. Obviously he brings back bad memories for us, but his career would be a fantastic outcome. 

since we've been going with the power pitching prospect without very much success for quite awhile, it might actually be time for a change up with a change.

• Like 1

I mean at the end of the day, no matter what you think of the Sox, their scouting and development, and everything else, this is a guy who was wanted by the Yankees and the Padres.  Even if you don't trust us, those are two organizations with decent reps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“If Thorpe and Iriarte exceed my expectations, it’ll be a great return for Chicago, but I’m skeptical that they’re more than back-end starters or swing types.”

Projects Thrope as a 4 or most likely 5. Iriarte has a flat fastball and is likely a pen piece long term. Also says that Zavala has the most potential in terms of ceiling.

Law article in the athletic, if you couldn’t guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, hi8is said:

“If Thorpe and Iriarte exceed my expectations, it’ll be a great return for Chicago, but I’m skeptical that they’re more than back-end starters or swing types.”

Projects Thrope as a 4 or most likely 5. Iriarte has a flat fastball and is likely a pen piece long term. Also says that Zavala has the most potential in terms of ceiling.

Law article in the athletic, if you couldn’t guess.

Law is a good evaluator of bats, but he’s never been a good evaluator of pitching. That my opinion, of course, but it’s a common one. 

• Heads22 unpinned this topic