Eloy Trade Rumor Thread

SoxAce

On 11/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, wrathofhahn said:

I am not a fan of moving him not because we shouldn't move him but because his value is at it's lowest point.

Much like Moncada the goal needs to be for him to build up some sort value first.

They should have kept all of their plus guys and upgraded a few other spots. They will spend the next year getting worse. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Opening day lineup is gonna be something like:

Merrifield, Benintendi, Robert, Yoan, Vaughn, Gallo, Sheets, Stallings, Lopez

Gallo would have made sense when they were trying to compete, though he could be flipped in July.

Merrifield makes zero sense under any circumstances (tank, rebuild, compete) at any position, really hope that doesn’t happen.

The Sox shouldn’t acquire players over 30 beyond pitching inning eaters to get them through their upcoming tanking seasons, and a defensive / game managing catcher because pitchers they cobble together will really need help the next few years and they don’t have adequate catchers on the roster.

Still rather have them play their young infielders and not acquire guys like Nicky Lopez, Paul DeJong and certainly not Whit Merrifield or Salvador Perez.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Gallo would have made sense when they were trying to compete, though he could be flipped in July.

Merrifield makes zero sense under any circumstances (tank, rebuild, compete) at any position, really hope that doesn’t happen.

The Sox shouldn’t acquire players over 30 beyond pitching inning eaters to get them through their upcoming tanking seasons, and a defensive / game managing catcher because pitchers they cobble together will really need help the next few years and they don’t have adequate catchers on the roster.

Still rather have them play their young infielders and not acquire guys like Nicky Lopez, Paul DeJong and certainly not Whit Merrifield or Salvador Perez.

Royals fans have to be wondering why in God's name anyone would ever want to emulate the 2017 to 2023 Royals in any way shape or form?

One or two good Soler seasons and drafting Witt, Jr.??

I understand the potential risk in holding onto him and potentially getting hurt and destroying his value, and yes I know his contract stinks for the performance, but roles reversed he’s the exact player the Sox should be trying to targeting in a trade, a previous top 100 guy who has had struggles, injuries, etc, so don’t give up on him for nothing. I personally wouldn’t trade him unless you’re getting a top 65 player in return or a major league contributor. His bat has value still especially come the trade deadline when so many teams become DESPERATE for bats. I am probably alone on this but this team shouldn’t be giving up on players like Eloy unless they are truly harmful to the locker room 

Edited by Rey21

22 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I understand the potential risk in holding onto him and potentially getting hurt and destroying his value, and yes I know his contract stinks for the performance, but roles reversed he’s the exact player the Sox should be trying to targeting in a trade, a previous top 100 guy who has had struggles, injuries, etc, so don’t give up on him for nothing. I personally wouldn’t trade him unless you’re getting a top 65 player in return or a major league contributor. His bat has value still especially come the trade deadline when so many teams become DESPERATE for bats. I am probably alone on this but this team shouldn’t be giving up on players like Eloy unless they are truly harmful to the locker room 

The problem is his contract is not exactly cheap for his level of production, lack of a position and plethora of injuries.

He's not a pre arbitration guy still under quite affordable team control.

Some trades have even suggested ostensibly Top 20 organizational returns are reasonable in order to dump what’s remaining on his contract.

Edited by caulfield12

17 hours ago, Rey21 said:

After watching the last couple years I can’t say it is unlikely that next offseason Eloy will have his option declined and lost for nothing. Thats the obvious result of him repeating his last season. No one is giving up a top 65 player for him after basically a 0 win season when he will probably be available as a FA next offseason.

If you want to think more creatively, is there any other prospect in a similar situation - a lot of promise, a couple years of control remaining, but a big disappointment and an obvious change of scenery candidate? Getting Eloy away from the hitting coaches telling him to hit the ball on the ground might well be the best thing for him. Is there a matchup like that?

Article from MLBTR that discusses potential trade partners as well as possible returns.  IMO, it’s very clear we’re not going to get much for Eloy.  I think a semi post hype prospect that hasn’t been completely ruled a bust and a lottery ticket is about the best we could do.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/looking-for-a-match-in-an-eloy-jimenez-trade.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Article from MLBTR that discusses potential trade partners as well as possible returns.  IMO, it’s very clear we’re not going to get much for Eloy.  I think a semi post hype prospect that hasn’t been completely ruled a bust and a lottery ticket is about the best we could do.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/looking-for-a-match-in-an-eloy-jimenez-trade.html

Soxtalk is depressing these days

This team is so fucked

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Not a whole lot to get excited about. 

Well, when your offseason consists of HOPING to get the likes of a Montas or Severino to fill out the rotation and you're convinced that the Cubs are going to sign Ohtani or the equivalent of Seager/Semien...of course, it's obviously not as fun to root against the Cubs as it is FOR the team you support.  At least not anymore (see 2023 August/Sept.)

But especially after 2016.   It's more like rooting against a highly politicized corporation.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm holding on Eloy for sure. If you want to move him, now isn't the time. He has so much more value to gain from a healthy season than he has value to lose from another mediocre one. And you're not reinvesting the money in any meaningful way anyhow.

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When they traded Burger they said they had too many DHs. If they trade Eloy they won't have anybody to DH. They also won't have anybody batting behind Robert Jr. Robert Jr will be pitched around with nobody batting behind  him protecting him.

Right now I think the Sox keep Eloy as well as Vaughn and of course Robert, if those 3 play to their potential it’s not a bad middle of the the order, the key is getting those 3 as well as others in the lineup to start working counts and stop swinging at everything without any kind of a plan while in the batters box. I also think Benintendi is going to do fine as a lead off guy, he was hampered last year with the bad wrist and he should be back to normal hitting close to .300 with  more power, probably 15 homers. Now we come to Moncada, he’s basically un-tradable so we have to hope that someone kicks this guy in the ass and he’s the Moncada of 2019, the guy is a damn good fielder. We still need a rightfielder and a second sacker and catching is a big question mark. That brings us to the pitching staff, Getz is going to have to perform miracles to come up with a Major League staff, not sure how he does that if we keep everybody I mentioned, he’s definitely between a rock and a hard place. He can trade most of them and maybe have a decent pitching staff but a minor league batting order, the other scenario which I’m not holding my breath on is signing a bunch of premier free agents. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

When they traded Burger they said they had too many DHs. If they trade Eloy they won't have anybody to DH. They also won't have anybody batting behind Robert Jr. Robert Jr will be pitched around with nobody batting behind  him protecting him.

They could always move Vaughan there and get someone else to play 1B, not that I am suggesting that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Right now I think the Sox keep Eloy as well as Vaughn and of course Robert, if those 3 play to their potential it’s not a bad middle of the the order, the key is getting those 3 as well as others in the lineup to start working counts and stop swinging at everything without any kind of a plan while in the batters box. I also think Benintendi is going to do fine as a lead off guy, he was hampered last year with the bad wrist and he should be back to normal hitting close to .300 with  more power, probably 15 homers. Now we come to Moncada, he’s basically un-tradable so we have to hope that someone kicks this guy in the ass and he’s the Moncada of 2019, the guy is a damn good fielder. We still need a rightfielder and a second sacker and catching is a big question mark. That brings us to the pitching staff, Getz is going to have to perform miracles to come up with a Major League staff, not sure how he does that if we keep everybody I mentioned, he’s definitely between a rock and a hard place. He can trade most of them and maybe have a decent pitching staff but a minor league batting order, the other scenario which I’m not holding my breath on is signing a bunch of premier free agents. 

I agree with your view on Eloy, Moncada, and Benintendi staying on the team and playing up to their abilities.  We have already improved by the subtraction of Grandal, Anderson, and Bummer.  Plug in a right-fielder, catcher, 2nd base upgrade and some decent pitching.  Getz has a lot of work to do this week but it's not impossible.