The Winter Meetings thread

Lip Man 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Bowden's Winter Meetings wishlist, cause we're starved for anything

Cease to Rangers for Leodys Taveras, Cody Bradford, and Josh Stephan

Eloy to Marlins for Jacob Amaya, Karson Milbrandt, and Jacob Miller

Cease brings back a guy who is already in his arb years (super 2), a pitcher who entered 2023 as about the Rangers #20 prospect by both BA and MLB, and a pitcher that MLB.com has as the Rangers #15 prospect right now.

That...seems low even to me.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Cease brings back a guy who is already in his arb years (super 2), a pitcher who entered 2023 as about the Rangers #20 prospect by both BA and MLB, and a pitcher that MLB.com has as the Rangers #15 prospect right now.

Super low.  

10 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I gotta think the other GM's are looking to fleece Getzie due to his inexperience.

Yes. I wish Sox could have hired an experienced pro like Kapler for Asst GM, while Getz is still on his training wheels.  Then, he would have been available when they fire Pedro.

On 12/1/2023 at 12:49 PM, Balta1701 said:

It's a good thing Jim Bowden isn't the GM of the White Sox because his last two Cease trade proposals absolutely sucked s%*#.

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 4

Jimmy Margalis had wondered (back in July) why Vaughn wasn't mentioned in trade talks, especially now that Getz wants to improve team speed and athleticism, and Vaughn is one of the slowest players in major league baseball and has built-in defensive limitations, which Margalis outlined pretty well in this article:

https://soxmachine.com/2023/07/andrew-vaughn-still-oddly-outside-scope-of-white-sox-trade-talks/

I would add a similar sentiment about Oscar Colas whose upside/potential might be seen as more valuable to another team. He just could not adjust to major league pitching last season.

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Jimmy Margalis had wondered (back in July) why Vaughn wasn't mentioned in trade talks, especially now that Getz wants to improve team speed and athleticism, and Vaughn is one of the slowest players in major league baseball and has built-in defensive limitations, which Margalis outlined pretty well in this article:

https://soxmachine.com/2023/07/andrew-vaughn-still-oddly-outside-scope-of-white-sox-trade-talks/

I would add a similar sentiment about Oscar Colas whose upside/potential might be seen as more valuable to another team. He just could not adjust to major league pitching last season.

I think if we get Busch from LAD, Vaughn could then be shipped out and if we get Kjerstad from BAL, Colas will likewise be used as a trade chip.

I wouldn't give up on Colas yet, tho. The rookie year is often a difficult adjustment, I'm excited to see what he can bring in Year 2. He's pretty much the only LH with legit raw power on the roster I wouldnt cut bait with him unless it was a really good offer. It's totally possible Kjerstad AND Colas are both going to be starting corner OFers for the club for a long time, especially if Beni has a strong first half once his wrist is fully healthy and they are able to move him. 

5 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think if we get Busch from LAD, Vaughn could then be shipped out and if we get Kjerstad from BAL, Colas will likewise be used as a trade chip.

I wouldn't give up on Colas yet, tho. The rookie year is often a difficult adjustment, I'm excited to see what he can bring in Year 2. He's pretty much the only LH with legit raw power on the roster I wouldnt cut bait with him unless it was a really good offer. It's totally possible Kjerstad AND Colas are both going to be starting corner OFers for the club for a long time, especially if Beni has a strong first half once his wrist is fully healthy and they are able to move him. 

No one is going to touch that deal regardless of his first half. Still owed $66,400,000 over the next 4 years.

We’ve seen this song and dance before.

The White Sox aren’t going to write a check of roughly $25-35 million to get rid of Benintendi.

Like the Moncada deal, they’ll wait until the last year or so of the deal before cutting bait with an amount so daunting for them.

The Leury’s of the world are one thing…but this is serious bank to JR.  If Benintendi desperatelywants off the team, he’s going to need to put up 1.5-2.0 fWAR in the first half.

On 12/1/2023 at 12:41 PM, Quin said:

Bowden's Winter Meetings wishlist, cause we're starved for anything

Cease to Rangers for Leodys Taveras, Cody Bradford, and Josh Stephan

Eloy to Marlins for Jacob Amaya, Karson Milbrandt, and Jacob Miller

I guess I'm the squirrel here, but I'd take that deal with the Rangers, if the prospect was upgraded from Stephan to Walcott or Acuna.

Taveras is an improving hitter and Bradford should be a fine back-end rotation guy.

• TLR 1

9 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yes. I don’t get why everyone is in such a hurry to ship Colas out. Guy is a year removed from being the exact type Is prospect we need for RF. 2023 was an unmitigated disaster for him and he’s no longer plan A, but he has 2 options and is a gifted player. I see no reason to sell low on him. 

• Like 2

• Quin changed the title to The Winter Meetings thread