Morosi: Wouldn’t be surprised if Robert is traded

caulfield12

With Dylan Cease presumably gone, a deal for Robert Jr. would likely require a parcel of young studs on the mound. Morosi pointed to the Mariners as a logical trade partner.

"The Mariners have the kind of pitching that the White Sox want," he said. "Bryce Miller, Bryan Woo — if it's Robert, you would even have to think about Logan Gilbert. That's the place to go for pitching."

In an interview with NBC Sports Chicago's Chuck Garfien, MLB Network's Jon Morosi said he would not be surprised to see the White Sox move Robert Jr. this offseason.

"I could see anybody [on the White Sox] getting traded," Morosi said. "When you underachieve by the magnitude that they did, I have a hard time saying these players are untouchable.

"They're all obviously good major league players, but the composition of them did not work. The whole was much lesser than the sum of the parts for the White Sox in 2023. And when you have that kind of a team, you should have nothing that says these players are off limits.

He also suggested that trading Robert Jr. would allow the White Sox to build their team up more quickly.

"Look at the Twins three or four years ago," he said. "There was very little indication that they were going to be as good as they are right now, and I think it's important to keep an eye on those types of clubs and how quickly you can get better."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-insider-see-white-sox-030539068.html

Not sure the 2019-2020 Twins are a great example (comp to 2023 Sox) since there was a pretty darned strong indication they already had key pieces in place…

Other than Correa (not a win so far) and Buxton, the biggest difference makers were Sonny Gray, Royce Lewis, Pablo Lopez, Edouard Julien, Joe Ryan and Jhoan Duran, arguably.  Three of those guys were already in their system and didn’t need to be added externally.

Edited by caulfield12

If the return was big enough then trading Robert would make sense. Robert is a good player when fit and his trade value is high at the moment and the Sox won't be challenging in 2024/5  so losing Robert won't make a massive difference to the win/loss columns if they are already losing Cease.

The only worry is that the Sox have a track record of not developing prospects acquired in trades or acquiring prospects who never really achieve their potential, like Moncada and Eloy.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Jon Morosi is the Pedro Grifol of baseball insiders. 

Sure seems like it. In fairness, he did preface his statement with something along these lines, “I don’t know if this is what the White Sox are thinking but if it was me I would absolutely be looking to trade him…”

I’m torn on Robert, he has the potential to be a 5 tool superstar but he needs to want it, I see him being a little lackadaisical with some work needed in his approach in the batters box. I see a lot of Moncada in him and not in good way.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’m torn on Robert, he has the potential to be a 5 tool superstar but he needs to want it, I see him being a little lackadaisical with some work needed in his approach in the batters box. I see a lot of Moncada in him and not in good way.

I agree.  Lackadaisical is a word that fits both Robert and Moncada to a tee.  

23 minutes ago, MikeKreevich said:

Dumbest idea Ever.

Trade away your best pitcher, than trade away your best position player to replace him.

I mean, I guess the logic is that you'd be stocking up the farm and also replacing Cease with a younger, more cost-controlled pitcher.

To me, having "good" players at this point is irrelevant. The team is going to suck, so whether you suck with a stud in CF or you suck with a dud in CF, it doesn't really matter to me.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MikeKreevich said:

Dumbest idea Ever.

Trade away your best pitcher, than trade away your best position player to replace him.

You trade them if the deals are overwhelmingly in our favor where the Sox get pieces that can make the team competitive without going through another rebuild. I’m not sure if that is possible as Cease isn’t exactly Nolan Ryan, Robert should be able to bring in a nice haul. The Rays have figured out how to make trades like this, can Getz figure it out.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

This seems more like speculation than anything. A team as bad as the White Sox should be open to cashing in Robert, but doing so now would likely be selling for pennies on the dollar. Few teams could actually match his value in trade, and likely wouldn’t want to pay the exorbitant cost. So any trade feels like selling for less than he should extract in return, which defeats the point of moving him. 

Put me in the "Trade Robert" camp. The chances of the Sox being competitive in the next 4 years are low without an infusion of young talent. Robert is the last real chip we have (after Cease).

The problem is... most teams aren't willing to part with what he's worth.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

This seems more like speculation than anything. A team as bad as the White Sox should be open to cashing in Robert, but doing so now would likely be selling for pennies on the dollar. Few teams could actually match his value in trade, and likely wouldn’t want to pay the exorbitant cost. So any trade feels like selling for less than he should extract in return, which defeats the point of moving him. 

It's basically something like:

If the Orioles are prospect hugging for Cease, do you think they'd be willing to meet Robert's price (Holiday++).

You're asking for a team's top prospects and probably a young MLB piece. The cost of Robert with four years of affordable control should be squeezing blood from a stone.

• Thanks 1