Giolito to the Red Sox, 2 years $38.5 million, Y1 opt out

Balta1701

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, Frobby & Sports Guy both are aligned to a Kjerstad / Cowser + Ortiz framework.  They just feel like the O’s don’t need to go any higher than that.

Fans never want to overpay.  We want to give up half a dozen crap players for the other guy's star.  The best trades are Dick Allen for Tommy John straight up type deals.  I have a need...you have a need.  We have a need for a high-quality right fielder, and a high-quality second baseman.  Whoever can best fill that order can have Cease IMO.  I know that we can use some high-quality pitchers as well...but we aren't going to receive 3 high end players for 2 years of Cease.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wegner said:

I wish nothing but the best for Giolito, but I do question if the Boston GM watched much baseball late in the season. Were the Angels and Guardians games blacked out where he lived?

Red Sox do have money and Yankees and Red Sox both seemed to want Gio. So it looks like Gio got some extra bucks thrown in for him to go w Boston. . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, Frobby & Sports Guy both are aligned to a Kjerstad / Cowser + Ortiz framework.  They just feel like the O’s don’t need to go any higher than that.

What I’ve said is I don’t think we should go higher than that unless and until circumstances force us to.   That could happen and hopefully Elias keeps his ear to the ground and will be ready to respond if some team makes an offer that’s better than Kjerstad/Cowser and Ortiz.  But I do think those two for Cease would work out well for the White Sox even without additional pieces.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh damn.  I wonder if that is why he fell apart last year?

After I saw the original post I went to go look at his 2023 season and he was actually pretty solid for us and then completely fell off the cliff when he was traded so I would imagine this had something to do with it. He was awful.

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I wonder if this opens them at all for Cease?  I wouldn't think so as their pitching was doodoo before.

Boston does have some young interesting position players though.  Might solve a few problems but wouldn't help with SP.  Maybe a 3 way trade would work but that is kind of late in the preseason. 

28 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sucks for him. I feel bad for Lucas he's a very good dude. Now Boras has BOS over a barrel on Montgomery.

I believe Lorenzen, Clevinger or Greinke are the more likely targets as they don’t look to be competitive this season.

A long term Montgomery deal could make sense, though will have to wait and see if ownership will step up. They have plenty of revenue and CBT space, but they also dumped Sale’s contract to get $9M under 2023 payroll, which is why their fans are furious.

Feel bad for Liam as well, since he likely signed with Boston for the chance to also compete this season.

Edited by South Side Hit Men