Giolito to the Red Sox, 2 years $38.5 million, Y1 opt out

Balta1701

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

What's wild is he actually gained velocity after leaving us, and then fell back to Chicago levels in Cleveland.

image.png

So maybe he amped things up after getting traded to impress his new team, and did the damage then?

• Like 1

Giolito was my fav player during the rebuild. THis sucks.

Happy in one sense that it happened now vs last year. But clearly going to be brutal given this is #2.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

More fuel for JR to never sign another big name starter.

Outside of a very limited handful of starting pitchers, Jerry is 100% right on this one. 

ML starting pitchers are becoming like NFL running backs.  Use them heavily for 4-6 years and then discard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tray said:

I liked Gio as a person and as a pitcher. Loved that high change-up and his competitive demeanor. I join with all other White Sox fans in wishing Gio the best.

Agreed.  Acquired for a really nice player in Adam Eaton but it turned out to be probably one of the best trades in Sox history.  Giolito was a really good pitcher for the Sox and he also brought back a nice prospect return last year.  The Sox sure know when to trade their top pitchers.  They must have learned their lesson from the John Danks extension.

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Now the Red Sox pretty much have to sign Snell or Montgomery to be taken seriously by anyone...also, at least in his own mind, JR validated once again in not doling out extensions to Gio, Cease, Kopech, etc.

Maybe they need to trade for a top line starter. Any team have one of those available?

13 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Outside of a very limited handful of starting pitchers, Jerry is 100% right on this one. 

ML starting pitchers are becoming like NFL running backs.  Use them heavily for 4-6 years and then discard.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but what’s the alternative then? Completely relying on drafting and developing your own pitchers seems just as foolish, since only a few orgs have shown the ability to do it successfully and consistently.

22 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I wonder if this opens them at all for Cease?  I wouldn't think so as their pitching was doodoo before.

Sounds like they've reached out to Montgomery. Idk they're a weird team. They should have been trying to sign Montgomery/Snell and trading for Cease BEFORE the Giolito injury honestly. 

Glad I took the under of 80.5 a couple of weeks ago for them. They seemed like a bad team pre-Giolito injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sounds like they've reached out to Montgomery. Idk they're a weird team. They should have been trying to sign Montgomery/Snell and trading for Cease BEFORE the Giolito injury honestly. 

Glad I took the under of 80.5 a couple of weeks ago for them. They seemed like a bad team pre-Giolito injury.

In that division, they'll finish last and I don't think it will be remotely close. 

• Like 2

can anyone explain to me how he got the nickname Gio? it really made no sense when it happened and still doesn't. it's like those dudes that word out acronyms that are longer to say than the actual words. just a pet peeve as someone who isn't always online and wondering why the f*** people are still talking about Gio Gonzalez  because somehow Giolito is too long to say? ~weird old man rant 

Edited by bobbydanks
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, bobbydanks said:

can anyone explain to me how he got the nickname Gio? it really made no sense when it happened and still doesn't. it's like those dudes that word out acronyms that are longer to say than the actual words. just a pet peeve as someone who isn't always online and wondering why the f*** people are still talking about Gio Gonzalez  because somehow Giolito is too long to say? ~weird old man rant 

Your user name is literally short for Robert.

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, bobbydanks said:

I don't know bob.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, bobbydanks said:

your post has me squirming 

Not a very well thought out post, huh?  I bet you are feeling it right now…  you literally had no clue how bad you were trolling yourself as you hit that post button.  Man, I bet it burns…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bobbydanks said:

WTF?

• Haha 1