Moncada out 3-6 months, Colás recalled

We have too many injuries.

But, it's not surprising that a lot of them come when running to first. I'm certain that must be the single most common injurious play for position players. Much of the game you are almost required to stand still. When hitting, you remain in place but do a very different sort of high effort movement...then you must suddenly turn and run full speed. Usually turns out okay, until it doesn't. But the sudden need to go full speed in a game that doesn't otherwise require you to run fast that frequently seems like an obvious area of risk especially given the starting position post-swing.

Two different guys blowing out adductors over a week and a half definitely strikes me as odd though. I hope Reinsdorf, who presumably cares about the massive investments made in these players, might be willing to pay an outsider to audit our training and rehab situation.

3 hours ago, Quin said:

A new GM might have cleared house of the training staff, but c'est la vie.

No need.  For the first time JR finally had a training staff that was doing things the way he thought they should be done, and it would’ve taken someone from outside the org a year to learn the organization!  He did think about bringing Branch Rickey in to lead the training staff, but interviewing a dead guy was too much work.

Edited by RTC
  • Haha 2

Does anyone think that part of the blame for these injuries may be on Grifol instead of the training staff?   Maybe programs are designed for these with continual injuries and just not being followed.   The training staff may be on the locker room dealing with injured players (taping, massages, etc) pregame and Grifol needs to make sure they are following recommended pregame routines.    Since players obviously have no respect for him and don't listen to him about anything else, why would they listen to him if this is the case.    I know the player still holds a great deal of responsibility if this is the case but we need a leader for this team to make sure these young men don't make mistakes.   

18 minutes ago, Jake said:

But, it's not surprising that a lot of them come when running to first. I'm certain that must be the single most common injurious play for position players. Much of the game you are almost required to stand still. When hitting, you remain in place but do a very different sort of high effort movement...then you must suddenly turn and run full speed. Usually turns out okay, until it doesn't. But the sudden need to go full speed in a game that doesn't otherwise require you to run fast that frequently seems like an obvious area of risk especially given the starting position post-swing.

Two different guys blowing out adductors over a week and a half definitely strikes me as odd though. I hope Reinsdorf, who presumably cares about the massive investments made in these players, might be willing to pay an outsider to audit our training and rehab situation.

It was done two years ago under Hahn's direction. The results were never revealed publicly. This past year they placed an ad for a biomechanics expert as well as a sleep-expert (for wont of a better word).

Alan Thomas, Dale Torborg and a number of other people were fired.

I had heard Thomas disagreed with the results of the Sox injury study conducted last winter which was never released to the media or public. I was told he felt the Sox issues were only caused by the COVID restrictions. “The Sox play checkers where others teams play chess” when it comes to injury prevention, conditioning, nutrition, sleep schedules is a phrase I had heard mentioned.

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It was done two years ago under Hahn's direction. The results were never revealed publicly. This past year they placed an ad for a biomechanics expert as well as a sleep-expert (for wont of a better word).

Alan Thomas, Dale Torborg and a number of other people were fired.

I had heard Thomas disagreed with the results of the Sox injury study conducted last winter which was never released to the media or public. I was told he felt the Sox issues were only caused by the COVID restrictions. “The Sox play checkers where others teams play chess” when it comes to injury prevention, conditioning, nutrition, sleep schedules is a phrase I had heard mentioned.

Yeah I remembered us letting go of Alan Thomas and then at least one additional trainer after Hermie retired. I generally feel like players determine the results more than these other things, but whatever is going on isn't working. We'll have new players soon enough, we'll see if the staff changes as well.

Has Getz started his "we have faith that Grifol will be our guy with a healthy team" presser yet? Because this is going to be the narrative coming soon and it's just so predictable, frustrating and White Sox. I am this close to just quitting this team until Jerry dies. 

I liked Yoan and this sucks. 

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

*3 Hours Later*

"White Sox sign Mike Moustakas to MLB deal."

Nah, but I’d sign Yoan to a milb deal next year tho. Someone’s gonna get a good year out of Yoan at some point. Feel like the Sox deserve it. But moving on is completely understandable, too. 

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah, but I’d sign Yoan to a milb deal next year tho. Someone’s gonna get a good year out of Yoan at some point. Feel like the Sox deserve it. But moving on is completely understandable, too. 

MiLB max. Unless they can extend him now for like a mill.

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Yoan is gonna get the $5 million dollar buy out. but Ryan McGuffey said this and I agree with him. He said unless Moncada can shows that he can stay injury free and stay on the field, the best that Moncada is going to get next year is a sub-million dollar minor league contract loaded with incentives. 

And I think he will never earn any of those incentives and be out of baseball in a few years. 

He was the No. 1 prospect in all of baseball when the Sox traded for him. He was the Jackson Holiday of 2016. 

I think McGuffey is very wrong here.  Someone will give him a guaranteed deal for at least several million just based on the upside.

2 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I don't understand how these injure lists work. If he's going to be out potentially the entire season why is he being put on the 10 day list? 

You can shift from 10 to 60. Once Sox need a 40 man spot, they’ll shift Yoan to the 60 day. As for why they wouldn’t just automatically put him on 60 day? Idk, I’ve wondered the same myself but I guess it’s effectively the same thing since they can shift him there immediately if/when needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think McGuffey is very wrong here.  Someone will give him a guaranteed deal for at least several million just based on the upside.

He probably will.  Should he?  No, he’ll be injured again next year.  It’s like throwing hundred dollar bills into a wishing well.

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"Asked Tuesday about possible external additions to the lineup, general manager Chris Getz on Tuesday said it was “easier said than done.” 😆

Does bro know he's coaching a 40 win team projected to finish league last in runs? Mofo giving quotes like he's got the '27 Yankees. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"Asked Tuesday about possible external additions to the lineup, general manager Chris Getz on Tuesday said it was “easier said than done.” 😆

Bob Nightengale just called up his buddy Getzy to let him know that Tommy Pham is still available to save the Sox season.

• Haha 4
  • Paper Bag 1

10 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Does bro know he's coaching a 40 win team projected to finish league last in runs? Mofo giving quotes like he's got the '27 Yankees. 

You think you can just bring anyone into this clubhouse and risk them disrupting the great thing they have going right now?!?!?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

I mean, they're unlikely to get to 150 games COMBINED!

1 minute ago, Milkman delivers said:

Seems none of Robert, Eloy, or Moncada are to see those 150 games.

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2024 at 3:30 PM, Jake said:

Maybe there shouldn't be a bench in the dugout just treadmills* and modern stationary bikes.

*Treadmills may be too dangerous for some our players.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe there shouldn't be a bench in the dugout just treadmills* and modern stationary bikes.

*Treadmills may be too dangerous for some our players.

standing dugout. seriously wonder if the guys that stand and lean on the railing get hurt less.