Jason >>>>>>>>>>> Hawk

ron883

QUOTE (SI1020 @ May 6, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
This certainly won't be popular but I concur. I would also add that although he might not quite be khaki pants talking, he certainly is in the mold of the stereotypical "broadcasting school" voice. In fairness to Jason, I have the MLB package and I find most modern day baseball announcers very forgettable.

He was an intern with Boers and Bernstein. Dan mentioned the other day that people told him that Jason needs to stop doing the announcer voice. Dan says that it's his voice. That's how he sounds all the time, even during regular conversations.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 6, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
He was an intern with Boers and Bernstein. Dan mentioned the other day that people told him that Jason needs to stop doing the announcer voice. Dan says that it's his voice. That's how he sounds all the time, even during regular conversations.

I don't have any issue with his announcer voice. It's not like Kevin Harlan, the king of announcer voices with his wet s's. The guy can't say enough words with an s in it and it alwaysh shoundsh like thish.

It's just change. Eventually Bennetti will be white sox baseball for you. There will be big moments that he's the voice of, and the fact that I know he's a sox fan and care in those moments will begin to show.

I thought his calling during the bases loaded situations last night were tense and perfect. I think he'll figure out the dead air parts soon enough.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 6, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
It's just change. Eventually Bennetti will be white sox baseball for you. There will be big moments that he's the voice of, and the fact that I know he's a sox fan and care in those moments will begin to show.

I thought his calling during the bases loaded situations last night were tense and perfect. I think he'll figure out the dead air parts soon enough.

It's almost like its his first month doing this or something

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
He's having a very rough night. Stone even made fun of him for a terrible pun.

He lays it on way too thick for an 162 game season. Yea he's only doing about 90 or so but it gets old. We don't need another Stacy King cornball on the mic.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 6, 2016 -> 06:41 PM)
He lays it on way too thick for an 162 game season. Yea he's only doing about 90 or so but it gets old. We don't need another Stacy King cornball on the mic.

I can't believe you just compared Jason to Stacy King rather than hawk. I am speechless.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)

They're corny, nerdy, and all sorts of dry wit.

I - being a nerd - enjoy it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)

I can only assume you're referring to the funniest thing I've heard out of the Sox broadcast booth in a few years....the buttered 'em up comment. That was absolutely hilarious and Steve's reaction was perfect (because that joke could've just as easily come out of Stoney's mouth). Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 6, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)

I haven't noticed the announcer voice that much. I can't listen to KC Royals baseball with guys like Steve Stewart and Physioc embarrassing themselves with awful enunciating of every word. Ryan Lefevre does it a little bit. I bet he would have taken the voice of the White Sox job if offered. He's not bad and son of former White Sox Jim Lefevre.

QUOTE (harkness @ May 9, 2016 -> 12:54 AM)
don't dislike the guy... but today he was pretty bad.

Horrible jokes and some other things.

I still think he's pretty solid. No complaints yet. And those 2 have good chemistry. Stone is a different broadcaster with Jason. Whether Hawk believes it or not, Hawk can play the role of the crabby old man. I don't mind it, and don't really care if Hawk THINKS he knows it all, but truth is Hawk doesn't know it all. Stone knows a lot and seems to be on top of his analytical game more when he works with Jason, who isn't going to rip his head off.

I like this setup; Hawk on the road.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 6, 2016 -> 10:32 PM)
I can only assume you're referring to the funniest thing I've heard out of the Sox broadcast booth in a few years....the buttered 'em up comment. That was absolutely hilarious and Steve's reaction was perfect (because that joke could've just as easily come out of Stoney's mouth). Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

It was the most visceral reaction Stone has had since he joined the Sox broadcast. Proved how comfortable and excellent he can be acting as the true color man rather than being a bit player as Hawk dominates the broadcast, minimizing Stone's incredible incite.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:55 PM)
Gave Jason a chance, l'm sorry but he sucks. I turn on music now when he announces.

Total nerd, makes lame jokes, only positive is stone gives more insight.

Heh, no quicker way to show your ass than using the word nerd as a pejorative term these days. So glad we've moved beyond that machismo bulls***.

The Twinland joke was pretty hilarious.....

I liked him a lot better a couple weeks ago. Last game, at times, he was way too corny.

I think he could be good... but he has to learn the balance. Not everything that pops into his head is joke worthy.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
It was the most visceral reaction Stone has had since he joined the Sox broadcast. Proved how comfortable and excellent he can be acting as the true color man rather than being a bit player as Hawk dominates the broadcast, minimizing Stone's incredible incite.

I think stone is decent... but I've never personally thought anything he said was "incredible insight." I never thought Hawk was Mr. Incredible insight either.

I have to laugh though sir... you accused me of being "superlative" laden... when really that is so far from my style.

Then in this one post you are heavy with the superlatives...

"most visceral" ... "incredible"

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (harkness @ May 9, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)

I liked him a lot better a couple weeks ago. Last game, at times, he was way too corny.

I think he could be good... but he has to learn the balance. Not everything that pops into his head is joke worthy.

This. I like Jason for the most part, but I find myself running 50/50 on his jokes. Some pretty clever, some not at all. bordering on dumb. Sort of like my own run rate on posts here at Soxtalk, eh, SS2K5?

:lol:

I was looking forward to having a professional, intelligent play-by-play guy call the games, but Jason's jokes, bits and general sarcasm are surprising. Not saying it is that bad, but kind of shocked that we are following Hawk with more schtick.

Maybe it is because I have done some broadcasting, but folks have to realize that there is going to HAVE to be some personality shown in a three hour baseball broadcast. Especially in a sport like baseball that is 95% dead space, you have got be able to fill time with SOMETHING. I did high school and college football and basketball, and even in those two faster moving sports, there was off topic stuff that had to fill some time, especially in blowouts. I only did one college baseball game, but it was almost all dead space that needed something else to fill it. No one is going to just quote stats and color commentary for those spaces in a baseball game. It would quite literally be the most boring thing ever if done over the course of an entire season. Whether it is Hawk or Vin telling stories, or Stone and Benetti joking about Jason's bucket of a car, there are going to talk about SOMETHING.

I've enjoyed him (and still enjoy Hawk) but than again, people would say I'm boring, lol. So maybe I just like that dry humor. In general, I always liked Stoney (until he came to the Sox where I thought he lost it) and now I'm getting a lot more of the Stoney I always appreciated (which is an extremely intelligent baseball guy who you can learn a lot about the game of baseball (including intricacies) from.

QUOTE (harkness @ May 9, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)

I like Jason I think he brings a much needed positive vibe into the broadcast but ya sometimes he's a bit over the top. He's brought out the best in Stone and that is a big benefit.