Sox Sign Vince Velasquez

Heads22

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they're going into the season with Lopez and Velasquez as the depth. Idk how they're going to carry all of them as I think Lopez is out of options. 

Correct. Lopez is out of options. They now have to move Kimbrel to keep Lopez and Ruiz on the roster, unless Lopez is being floated as a trade chip.

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

WHIP last year was 1.50 and his career WHIP is 1.39 

Why are they giving up a roster spot for such a below average pitcher? If he sees any significant innings at the Major League level, that would not bode well for the Sox.

His HR rate is pretty high too. Since no one else has specifically said it, maybe Katz sees something in him that he thinks is fixable. We got the obligatory Coop will fix him comment but this should be a minor league deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

WHIP last year was 1.50 and his career WHIP is 1.39 

Why are they giving up a roster spot for such a below average pitcher? If he sees any significant innings at the Major League level, that would not bode well for the Sox.

Looks like there will be expanded rosters at least for the first couple of weeks. Chances are he spends most of the 2022 baseball seaon in AAA.

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just sign Conforto. I knew they were never going to invest significantly in a 6th SP. This definitely wouldn’t have been the insurance policy I selected, but oh well. Keuchel is and was always going to make 20 some starts whether you guys like it or not. 

I’m not sure how this prevents us from adding another starter.  This is probably a $2M signing that sends Burr to AAA to start the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Looks like there will be expanded rosters at least for the first couple of weeks. Chances are he spends most of the 2022 baseball seaon in AAA.

I hope so. However, in any case, won't he be taking up a 40 man roster spot?

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How expanded are we talking? And for how long? I haven’t seen that yet.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure how this prevents us from adding another starter.  This is probably a $2M signing that sends Burr to AAA to start the year.

Could be the case. Hope you’re right. Def like this better if they plan to use him out the pen. 

• Like 1