Should Sox claim Montero?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
With what we have gotten out of Smith and Narvaez so far this year, should the White Sox put in a claim on Miguel Montero?

I don't think they should but I wouldn't care that much if they did. I would probably just wait for him to clear and go to free agency first so he's at least league minimum.

He is getting paid $14M this year........if you claim him, you're responsible for the pro-rated portion, or a little over $7M. I'd much rather Jerry eat money in trades for better prospects than claiming Montero.

Edited by ChiSox59

Should read...should they try to work out a deal once he goes to league minimum from the Sox perspective?

Opportunity cost...playing time for Narvaez/Smith vs. the possibility of flipping Montero for something if he was hot offensively. Does anyone actually see either of those two starting for the Sox in 2-3 years? Will Montero mean 1-2 more wins and a 5 or 6 pick instead of 3-4?

That said, there are a lot of ex Sox catchers around the big leagues. So we've actually done okay cultivating back ups.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
Should read...should they try to work out a deal once he goes to league minimum from the Sox perspective?

Opportunity cost...playing time for Narvaez/Smith vs. the possibility of flipping Montero for something if he was hot offensively. Does anyone actually see either of those two starting for the Sox in 2-3 years? Will Montero mean 1-2 more wins and a 5 or 6 pick instead of 3-4?

That said, there are a lot of ex Sox catchers around the big leagues. So we've actually done okay cultivating back ups.

Phegley and Flowers come to mind with Oakland and Atlanta...who else though?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
Can't throw. Framing is getting bad, and clubhouse cancer. I don't know what value he brings to a rebuilding team other than pointing a finger away from him. The Cubs and Maddon especially, were very worried what his attitude might do to their young players.

Agreed. MLB career is on life support.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
Can't throw. Framing is getting bad, and clubhouse cancer. I don't know what value he brings to a rebuilding team other than pointing a finger away from him. The Cubs and Maddon especially, were very worried what his attitude might do to their young players.

I'm with you. A rebuilding team with no hope at contention this year...last thing you want is a character concern like this around the teams young players (and there isn't much upside in the matter either). Absolutely not.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
He is getting paid $14M this year........if you claim him, you're responsible for the pro-rated portion, or a little over $7M. I'd much rather Jerry eat money in trades for better prospects than claiming Montero.

14 million? He's thrown out zero runners all year. What a bizarre business is baseball. How did a player this bad get a contract paying him 14 million bucks? It's all ridiculous, folks. It's just money. I hope Jerry throws it away. Sign the guy. I'm very very pissed that myfavorite team is done before July again. This organization blows. Spend spend spend, Jerry. sign him.

Thank goodness we won one title in 05 cause we're not winning another until Jerry and his posse sell and we start over. MARK CUBAN save us please.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
14 million? He's thrown out zero runners all year. What a bizarre business is baseball. How did a player this bad get a contract paying him 14 million bucks? It's all ridiculous, folks. It's just money. I hope Jerry throws it away. Sign the guy. I'm very very pissed that myfavorite team is done before July again. This organization blows. Spend spend spend, Jerry. sign him.

Thank goodness we won one title in 05 cause we're not winning another until Jerry and his posse sell and we start over. MARK CUBAN save us please.

greg I'm starting to actually be concerned for your health. Do you realize you spent exactly 50% of this post to the word bashing the guy as an overpaid chump and the rest of it pleading for us to sign him?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)

Not that you actually follow baseball, but why don't you just stop coming on here? Whats the point? What are you accomplishing?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)

Because agents are smarter than GM's.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
This guy is an awful teammate. I hope he rots in Iowa.

It's highly unusual for a GM to speak so candidly like Theo did when they let him go. Theo basically threw him under the bus, saying he was released mostly for "being a bad team mate". Now I'm sure if he was a star player things would be different but he's not and he's a borderline starter at best so why even bother?

The last thing the Sox need is toxic guys in the clubhouse during the rebuild. With the way the losses are piling up (good in the long term but frustrating short term, see Renteria's ejections) this clubhouse needs positive vibes. That's not Montero.