2023 Spring Training Thread

ChiliIrishHammock24

13 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Glad someone brought up his service time. Can someone logically explain why he wasn't brought up last year? Seems pretty clear the plan was always to have him on the roster this year. Why in the world was he held back last year? Seemed even clear to the posters on this site let along people actually making those plans.

I was one of the biggest proponents of bringing him up last year.  I wanted him to get used to RF at home and get a taste of MLB pitching just to be more prepared for this year.

However last season sucked and I am not upset that he wasn't subjected to that suckfest. It would appear that at the time the plan might've been to gain the extra year. Despite the good performance so far in ST I wouldn't put it past the Sox to still send him down.

Of course if they do not send him down at some point to gain the extra year then people will say that there was no reason not to bring him up last year when they could've used him when they were still close to Cleveland in the standings.

Hearing raves about camp Grifol stressing the little things and the attention to detail needed to win. Unfortunately the ones that can use it the most are away at the WBC.  So another season goes by with minor league instruction interrupted at a time when a young team needed it the most with the last 3 interrupted by the strike and COVID.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
add
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

How would that be a conspiracy

Cause there's nothing to go on other than a theory and Hahn, Getz, etc. would need to "conspire" to keep Colas away from the locker room.

It's no insane, but technically it is a conspiracy theory.

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Andrus said of Colas: "He has an opportunity to break camp with us"

The playersand fans expect it. With all the organization has put everyone through, the Sox owe the fans and the players one, to for once, do the right thing. 

They just punted a year of Vaughn for like 5 games in 2021.

They don't really do the service time manipulation so at this point, kind of expect Colas to make it.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

Cause there's nothing to go on other than a theory and Hahn, Getz, etc. would need to "conspire" to keep Colas away from the locker room.

It's no insane, but technically it is a conspiracy theory.

A conspiracy involves a crime. I believe the word you are looking for would be speculation or hypothesis

• TLR 2

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

He may believe that Coals not coming up last year was a crime and there was a conspiracy as to why he was not. 

Colas was in A+ ball a year ago. Sounds a little rad. 

2 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

How would that be a conspiracy

People could conspire to do something without said thing being criminal. It's my "conspiracy theory" because it's based on absolutely nothing other than my tin foil hat that they conspired to keep him down because they knew the clubhouse was in shambles and would've been a poor influence on him. Also, sending a player to four different levels in one season is a lot so I don't/didn't actually mind that he wasn't called up last year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

People could conspire to do something without said thing being criminal. 

Nope. Conspiracy by definition is criminal. I only mention it because to those that still think words have specific meanings, you would be indicating the suggestion of criminal activity, since that is in fact what the word means

3 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Nope. Conspiracy by definition is criminal. I only mention it because to those that still think words have specific meanings, you would be indicating the suggestion of criminal activity, since that is in fact what the word means

Yes. From the definition on the old Google machine.

con·spir·a·cy

/kənˈspirəsē/

noun

a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

Something harmful doesn't have to be unlawful.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Andrus said of Colas: "He has an opportunity to break camp with us"

The playersand fans expect it. With all the organization has put everyone through, the Sox owe the fans and the players one, to for once, do the right thing. 

The dude is 24 years old.. its not like they're saving a year of his prime by fucking with his arb clock.

3 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I mean, I don't believe you have four eyes but here we are.

3 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

This is wrong.  Civil conspiracy is a claim available in civil cases in Illinois and just about every state, for example.  No crime needed.