Athletic fired Fegan in Jun23, now hired with Sox Machine

ThirdGen

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I cannot claim insight about how valid of a point this is, but here's a response from the Score saying that they can't be angry about local media when they don't communicate with local media. 

It’s totally true. When is the last time a local guy broke something on Sox (that isn’t doing this as a hobby as a blogger)? When they trade Lucas Giolito, it’ll be a national guy with the story because it’s basically how pro sports works. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-ohtanis-record-breaking-series-053840387.html

Am assuming Our Chuck wrote this…not exactly a ringing endorsement for covering the White Sox on a daily basis, but what else can he possibly say?

There was a time, up until about three years ago, I just enjoyed watching the games. I assumed we were about an average franchise. Then I saw the facts and it's been a downward spiral. I guess fooling myself for fifty or so years was a positive. But that's as a fan.

As a reporter i think it's much different. Do you want to cover a WS team? Probably, it gets your by line out there more. But covering crap teams probably isn't that bad. You do get to see the opposition. 

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Awesome for Fegan. Best White Sox writer hands down. Maybe it's time to become a Patron despite Josh Nelson.

is soxtalk anti-josh nelson? always wondered why nobody here ever discussed SM

Just now, joejoesox said:

is soxtalk anti-josh nelson? always wondered why nobody here ever discussed SM

I think he's often uninformed and has some truly bad takes. Just my opinion. I love Jim and James though. Best in class.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think he's often uninformed and has some truly bad takes. Just my opinion. I love Jim and James though. Best in class.

There are guys who are legitimately good and introspective writers who have amazing insight into what is going on.  Then there are those who just stand on a virtual street corner and scream about the end of the world like a revelations preacher.  Jim and James belong in the first group.  I will stop there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Athletic fired Fegan in Jun23, now hired with Sox Machine

Back to that phrase “nationally renowned” which goes along with demand and ratings/views.

Benetti was one of the few anything “national” about the Sox since the return of TLR which was not negative or embarrassing.

Well, I guess he was too embarrassing for elites, aka the likes of  JR Hahn and Boyer.

Say whatever you want about the weaknesses of Bill Veeck and his under-resourced teams, but he always identified with the common fan more than the C-Suite types and always would fight on the side of those who loved the White Sox more than money or profit…like Benetti when he first debuted with all the idealism, wonder and awe of a newly-recalled rookie later round draft pick.

Appreciate Sox Machine for having the vision and foresight to invest (the new stadium project has sucked many back in it seems) during one of those really dark times in team history.

And Josh Nelson needs to update his approach to be less like the written version of grumpy Hawk Harrelson.  Don’t be a homer all the time, but also be fair when the front office has done something well.  Obviously a much higher standard than mere everyday message board commentary from the cheap seats.

Challenge/scope of task in front of them is certainly a daunting one.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, cuban_sammiches said:

AI is the future. It will take about 3 months before the algorithm figures out Jerry is an asshole.

If SI and Gannett's "close encounters of the athletic kind" have proven anything, it's that AI journalism is hell.

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Awesome for Fegan. Best White Sox writer hands down. Maybe it's time to become a Patron despite Josh Nelson.

Couldn’t have said it better. James was so good I am actually fairly shocked he didn’t pick up a better gig covering an MLB team. But happy to have him back on the beat - the  coverage was nothing short of brutal once he was gone. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I like Nelson, but looks like im in the minority. Yeah hes negative, but hes justified to feel that way and echoes the fanbases frustrations well. 

I don’t love him, but don’t really mind him either. He’s not an accomplished writer like Margalus and Fegan are, so he’s not as measured in his thoughts, which is fine. I think that combination works well for the podcast.