Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

25 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The point is Lucas should be signed by now, it should not have gotten to this point, and now they Sox are going to be replacing a starter regardless.   They got no player that they can confidently say will be in the majors next season, and even if they do we are looking at a period of struggle like we already went through with Giolito.  You wanna be happy about the prospects, fine, golf clap.  I’m pissed about everything leading up to it, the fact that they got this out of the way first so they could concentrate on dealing lynn(good old Bruce said that on the score 20 minutes ago), and they traded with a team with almost as bad as a farm as our own

I agree that it would be more ideal if they had re-signed Giolito as opposed to haggling over 50k and blackballing him for being the union rep but that's JR for you and we know JR doesn't give big money to pitchers and this organization has a losers DNA and therefore will always be penny wise and pound foolish. 

Be that as it may, at this point there's universal agreement the rebuild failed and we needed to get some real value for these expiring assets and IMO we did that. If you're upset about the return here we had a poster openly advocating shipping Giolito AND Santos off to CIN for Jonathan fucking India. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I agree that it would be more ideal if they had re-signed Giolito as opposed to haggling over 50k and blackballing him for being the union rep but that's JR for you and we know JR doesn't give big money to pitchers and this organization has a losers DNA and therefore will always be penny wise and pound foolish. 

Be that as it may, at this point there's universal agreement the rebuild failed and we needed to get some real value for these expiring assets and IMO we did that. If you're upset about the return here we had a poster openly advocating shipping Giolito AND Santos off to CIN for Jonathan fucking India. 

Nah I’m just posting my thoughts on the trade here I’m not really interested in finding ridiculous posts and calling them out 

and I never said the rebuild didn’t fail nor did I say I don’t feel they should rebuild.  This front office shouldn’t be anywhere near this and I am absolutely within my rights to question their ability to scout when acquiring assets 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They have to rebuild to a contending team.  They are back to 2019 square one.  They had Abreu as their little torch carrier through that and probably are dumb enough to think Luis would be happy to do the same thing 

At least in 2019 they could credibly state the had a solid core of players, and they had money available to be spent to fill in the gaps they sadly never filled (RF, 2B, C).

Now they are down to two credible players, Cease and Robert, and hoping for bounce back seasons and health from Tim and Yoan, with a dozen holes to fill and no capable promotable starting players until 2025/2026. They also will likely cut payroll the next two seasons as players / contracts expire and FA signings are the typical marginal players and bullpen heavy to replace what they ship this week.

There was reason for hope and optimism in 2019, now it looks like they will need to get lucky and smart to field a merely decent team by 2026 or 2027 at the earliest.

The worst thing about this is it appears Hahn and friends are firmly in place for the remainder of Jerry’s tenure.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They should have signed him, hence my entire point.

And all those saying they can just sign him in 4 months, stop.

Exactly. He should have been resigned. He's the exact type of player you want on this baseball club. But he's not going to resign here now. 

42 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

They can pitch it however they want but this is a rebuild.  The roster is absolutely horrendous for next year and they aren’t going to increase salary so they are rebuilding.  Anderson is the only bounce back candidate as well.  

I just hope they sign some one year guys to prove it deals hoping they can flip them.  Spend the money on ST deals and hope you can than churn something for assets to help. Most important - need full organizational cleans this off-season. 

I get it - if you canned everyone now you'd have no front office to make any of the moves - so while I wish we made the move 2 months ago and had others around - I just have to live with at this point - not much you can do here.  Hahn wasn't awful though at seller(s) trades - its probably one thing he did decently to be honest. It is the team BUILDING and Drafting and Developing that he is awful at.  

But if they actually are given another chance at next year - man that may be the final straw haha.  

32 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Well, their version of go for it that we've seen time and time again, yes. No where have I said they are going to sign big free agents because they aren't going to do that either. They're going to run it back with most of the guys still here and probably 1-2 year deal type guys that end up being more filler than actually good.

Edit: for the record, I'm team "trade Cease and completely rebuild" (should happen with a different regime though) but I just know they won't. What I want and what I think will happen are 2 different things.

I would have traded Cease and kept Giolito.

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Nah I’m just posting my thoughts on the trade here I’m not really interested in finding ridiculous posts and calling them out 

and I never said the rebuild didn’t fail nor did I say I don’t feel they should rebuild.  This front office shouldn’t be anywhere near this and I am absolutely within my rights to question their ability to scout when acquiring assets 

I have zero issue with that. We all agree they should have been fired long ago. But since JR is apparently unwilling to dump them in mid-season (or maybe ever) and install a legit FO, the only other alternative to letting either KW or RH move the expiring assets is to let the expiring assets simply expire and that's no alternative at all when there's a consensus Top 100 prospect on the table plus another solid piece. 

There's no pleasing some of you people. Giolito and Lopez were walking away for nothing at the end of the season, best case scenario some comp pick in the 3rd round range.

Today, we have a new top 100 prospect and another pitching prospect. For two guys who weren't going to be here.

Yeah, we get it this organization sucks.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

We are in pain mitigation mode. The best thing IMO is they do nothing, JR is forced to eat the entire rosters payroll for a full year for a team that is likely to be bottom 5.

This sucks because you could potentially get Hahn into "goodwill" mode, where he successfully sheds a bunch of contracts and maybe gets Reinsdorf into a position where this year nets out fine financially.

Then Hahn/KW could blame the players and managers for failing, which JR is sympathetic too. 

But what would suck worse is trading Cease and having Hahn haggling with another GM who has earned their job, and forcing future us to swallow his pitiful decisions.

God bless Giolito. He is onto greener pastures.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

There's no pleasing some of you people. Giolito and Lopez were walking away for nothing at the end of the season, best case scenario some comp pick in the 3rd round range.

Today, we have a new top 100 prospect and another pitching prospect. For two guys who weren't going to be here.

I remember counting top 100 prospects.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

I like the return, on the surface. It's nice getting a top-100 prospect with upside.

However, this just adds to the glut of 1B / DH players in our system. If he pans out with his bat, we've just traded for the privilege of seeing the next out-of-position-RFer in 4 years (after 2 years of trying to make his defense "work" at the big league level).

Depth is nice, but it's useless when it's as one-dimensional as our "depth" is. You have to be able to have capable players at every position.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

it me

I know it's tough (okay, maybe impossible) to ignore why the Sox are in this position, but if there were a team we didn't know much about that traded a guy like Giolito and a guy like Lopez for what they got in return, we'd be impressed.

It just really sucks that this is how our "window of competitiveness" ends.  Plenty of blame to go around.  Players, manager, coaches, front office, owner.  It's a perfect storm of shittiness, and we had a front row seat to it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I have Quero in the 70s just ahead of Schultz in my prospect rankings for Fantasy baseball (pretty good correlation). However after sleeping on this, I am not exactly a fan of this bc trading for a catcher at any level (bigs or minors) is the absolute worst thing to do. Now if that was literally the best offer we could get for 2 months of Gio then ill take it as both Quero and Bush do have proxmity and decent ceilings going for them.

What are the scare stories of trading for major league catchers? In my head you have Realmuto, Contreras, Murphy as recent blockbuster examples that all seem pitch perfect. Even deadline trades like Realmuto seem good.  Grandal to dodgers as well.

But I agree the high profile catcher prospects have been severely underwhelming, from Mejia, Nola, Ruiz.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

it me

You have every right to be upset and vocal about it. This franchise has done nothing to avoid harsh criticism. They have done almost nothing right at all.

I can respect your opinion that they traded too early. I don't see any reason to be upset with the return they did get though. They got a nice main piece as well as a SP the system is in dire need of. Could we have gotten more in a few days? Maybe. I am happy with the return.

• Like 2

Sad to see Giolito go. He was my favorite of this group that the jackass Rick Hahn has assembled. Obviously it was coming, and no one is blindsided, but he's a guy that I would have liked to stay a White Sox for a long time. Watch him end up on the Northside in the offseason. I liked Reylo, too, and think that a competent organization could tap into his potential. Ours is not a competent organization (LAA aren't either, though). 

It's a career-ending injury to get traded to this organization if you're a prospect still in need of development. I feel so sorry for those two guys coming here. 

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic