Fire Pedro Grifol

Chicago White Sox

Even for those who did not/do not want Ozzie to manage again, you might agree that he would at least shake things up in the clubhouse and perhaps in the front office. Ozzie has said in his post-game comments that he might consider bringing up minor league players to give them a shot rather than watching the players we have fail to hit. I would be OK with that, even where control of players might be impacted. These are desperate times. The other thing is that Ozzie would add some interest for the media and for fans. Grifol has zero personality - a real dud. IMO. bringing Oz back at least on an interim basis is a no-brainer, but as much as JR is loyal to old employees, he also may hold grudges.

Edited by tray
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Well therein lies the problem. Can't change the culture with a loser who accepts losing. No I agree this team will be bad under anyone but just giving up is horrible for young players to be around and that seems to be all this clown does. The sooner he's gone the better. 

One thing struck me yesterday, these guys just aren't angry. Trea Turner tags up from first to second on a flyout, up 7 on a moribund offense, and Lopez is joking with Turner at second. Some commenters get all scoldy towards those who suggest some chin music, but it really seems like these guys don't care that they're going to be setting some records this year. 

23 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

One thing struck me yesterday, these guys just aren't angry. Trea Turner tags up from first to second on a flyout, up 7 on a moribund offense, and Lopez is joking with Turner at second. Some commenters get all scoldy towards those who suggest some chin music, but it really seems like these guys don't care that they're going to be setting some records this year. 

I think they already know the season is toast and are just going through the motions. They'll pick up a few weeks before the trade deadline in the hopes of leaving the Titanic. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I saw that as well.  I had the same thought. This guy doesn’t seem too bothered about being so bad. I’m not saying go try to get into a fight or anything, but instead of laughing and joking while you’re getting your ass kicked, show some intensity.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I saw that as well.  I had the same thought. This guy doesn’t seem too bothered about being so bad. I’m not saying go try to get into a fight or anything, but instead of laughing and joking while you’re getting your ass kicked, show some intensity.

If fans know the season is already over, you know the players do as well.  And their salaries get paid out either way.

• Like 4

For those who follow spring training ... wasn't it evident from week one of spring training how bad a hitting team this would be? I woulda added Whit, Pham and plenty of other guys at that point not named DeJong, Lopez and Maldy when it was painfully obvious how bad this team would be.

32 minutes ago, greg775 said:

For those who follow spring training ... wasn't it evident from week one of spring training how bad a hitting team this would be? I woulda added Whit, Pham and plenty of other guys at that point not named DeJong, Lopez and Maldy when it was painfully obvious how bad this team would be.

They were after Whit. He picked the better team. As pretty much every FA would have done. Only reason Pham is here is because no one came calling in the offseason and the Sox can pretty much guarantee playing time for him to prove his worth so he can get traded to a contender.

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They were after Whit. He picked the better team. As pretty much every FA would have done. Only reason Pham is here is because no one came calling in the offseason and the Sox can pretty much guarantee playing time for him to prove his worth so he can get traded to a contender.

I’m not really sure the plan to trade him after he starts hitting is gonna work.  Nobody wanted Pham because he is a toxic clubhouse presence.  Here we are in late April and the only team that came calling has 3 wins and the only reason they called was because Moncada Eloy and Robert got hurt immediately.  Who is to say Pham shows up and this team is so bad that he just mails it in and collects a few checks and goes away, or we get to the trade deadline and nobody is interested just like Clevinger.  

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I’m not really sure the plan to trade him after he starts hitting is gonna work.  Nobody wanted Pham because he is a toxic clubhouse presence.  Here we are in late April and the only team that came calling has 3 wins and the only reason they called was because Moncada Eloy and Robert got hurt immediately.  Who is to say Pham shows up and this team is so bad that he just mails it in and collects a few checks and goes away, or we get to the trade deadline and nobody is interested just like Clevinger.  

What’s his story?

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think they already know the season is toast and are just going through the motions. They'll pick up a few weeks before the trade deadline in the hopes of leaving the Titanic. 

Hope is it, who would want any of these guys.

16 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

These guys are literally all playing for their careers. I don’t think anyone is just “going through the motions”. They just aren’t any good. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

These guys are literally all playing for their careers. I don’t think anyone is just “going through the motions”. They just aren’t any good. 

This seems like it should be really, really obvious,  but apparently not for some. 

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We were told that is why these guys would be much better than people think. What a mess. I just wish there was someone JR would listen to who could tell him hey either you need to change your ways or take the tax hit and sell the team. I’ll leave the Bulls for Bulls fans , although I’m pretty sure  they feel the same.

4 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

What’s his story?

Just seems to be a super intense guy that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.  It’s the same guy that slapped Joc Pederson in the face (lmao) because of a fantasy football league game

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Just seems to be a super intense guy that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.  It’s the same guy that slapped Joc Pederson in the face (lmao) because of a fantasy football league game

Sounds like another veteran that Pedro will be scared of.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

So much for the b.s. spewed about improving the clubhouse culture this season. It's hard to only win three games out of how many the Sox have played. Law of averages suggests a few more wins than this, but this team is so bad it defies the law of averages.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Most of these guys are in their mid-30's and have already made a lot of money they aren't playing for their careers in my opinion because they know their days are numbered anyway. When you are 33-34-35 how much of a career do you have left???

When you are 3-17, human nature kicks in, it may be unconscious but it's there. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

There needs to be a change. Grady Sizemore or Charlie Montoyo will hopefully get an extended look.

Montoyo has experience at least, but I’m hoping it’s not him. Sizemore is just getting his feet wet in coaching. Can’t imagine he’d be considered.