Colas sent to AAA (again)

YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Baseball Reference says Colas has only been in the Sox organization since '22 at age 23.  Is that true? Where was Colas playing in '20 and '21? Did he sit out for 2 years or was he playing in the Dominican? It looks like he played in Japan and Cuba from '16-'19. 

Correct, he wasn't playing anywhere in 20 and 21.

The guy was rushed. Expecting him to contribute to a contender was a stretch. I get sending him down, but there is no reason Pedro has to basically call him out to the press. Like all guys who have great arms, he likes to show his off. His throw the other day was bad, but he clearly slipped when throwing. He should have called for the ball on the collision with Andrus, but shouldn’t Elvis have called for it as well. Despite what Stone said during the telecast the replay shows Elvis said squat. He’s a young guy who hasn’t been taught the nuances of the game. Chris Getz’ development team failed him., and Pedro and his staff are apparently incapable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The guy was rushed. Expecting him to contribute to a contender was a stretch. I get sending him down, but there is no reason Pedro has to basically call him out to the press. Like all guys who have great arms, he likes to show his off. His throw the other day was bad, but he clearly slipped when throwing. He should have called for the ball on the collision with Andrus, but shouldn’t Elvis have called for it as well. Despite what Stone said during the telecast the replay shows Elvis said squat. He’s a young guy who hasn’t been taught the nuances of the game. Chris Getz’ development team failed him., and Pedro and his staff are apparently incapable.

I don't know how he could be rushed when he's 24-years-old and has played baseball professionally for seven years already. He has an OPS in AAA of .894 over 245 plate appearances, what else is he gonna learn in AAA? he's ready for the majors, he just underwhelmed big time. What's he gonna do in the minors to prepare him for major league play? My theory was that he's sent down to work on some specific thing, but the season is over and he can do better work in the major leagues. Just an odd move.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just can’t root for this team as I have for over 40 years with Pedro as manager. I am not sure if I have ever seen a manager less inspiring and just plain tone deaf.

The correct response, ‘we want Oscar to contribute to the team in 2024 and we feel this move gives him the best chance to do that by continuing to build on his foundation.’

The scapegoating has to stop. Does anybody really wonder why this team lacks any sense of motivation or urgency?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

I don't know how he could be rushed when he's 24-years-old and has played baseball professionally for seven years already. He has an OPS in AAA of .894 over 245 plate appearances, what else is he gonna learn in AAA? he's ready for the majors, he just underwhelmed big time. What's he gonna do in the minors to prepare him for major league play? My theory was that he's sent down to work on some specific thing, but the season is over and he can do better work in the major leagues. Just an odd move.

He had 33 plate appearances in AAA befor this season, and the Sox made him the starting RF. He basically needs to learn how to play baseball. When they used to have Soxfest, I was at a seminar about the minor leagues. Buddy Bell was mentioning how unlike American players, most Latin signees have very little game experience. These guys get signed like some NFL teams draft based on combines. It takes time to know which bas to throw to, how to move runners over etc. Some do, most don’t. And it appears the White Sox don’t do a very good job of teaching at least their better prospects, these things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soxfaninfl said:

I just can’t root for this team as I have for over 40 years with Pedro as manager. I am not sure if I have ever seen a manager less inspiring and just plain tone deaf.

The correct response, ‘we want Oscar to contribute to the team in 2024 and we feel this move gives him the best chance to do that by continuing to build on his foundation.’

The scapegoating has to stop. Does anybody really wonder why this team lacks any sense of motivation or urgency?

For a guy that was touted as a great communicator, my god is Pedro awful at communicating with the press and general public. And like it or not, that's part of his job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Might as well save a little on Zavala since they need his roster spot next year for Perez.

Yes, I know.  And Perez and his leadership and Moxie will turn a staff, whose top pitcher is a #5 (after they trade Cease), into division contenders (because the division is not the best, don't you know?)

18 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don’t exactly think he has to get traded to “never play for the MLB team again.”

You really think the Sox are just gonna essentially black ball him? That’d be quite a position to take, especially because he’ll probably rake in AAA and obviously does some stuff this club really lacks when he’s going right. 

2 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

No s%*#. Some fucking nobody like Grifol isn't motivating a young athlete. I'd laugh in his loser face.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He had 33 plate appearances in AAA befor this season, and the Sox made him the starting RF. He basically needs to learn how to play baseball. When they used to have Soxfest, I was at a seminar about the minor leagues. Buddy Bell was mentioning how unlike American players, most Latin signees have very little game experience. These guys get signed like some NFL teams draft based on combines. It takes time to know which bas to throw to, how to move runners over etc. Some do, most don’t. And it appears the White Sox don’t do a very good job of teaching at least their better prospects, these things.

Amazing how the latin guys on the vast majority of all the other teams don't have these issues. Pinning this as a "latin" thing is stupid. This is a WHITE SOX thing. Our white players are brain dead, our AA players are brain dead. Our SOX players are brain dead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

“That’s the competitiveness we need here with the White Sox,” Getz said. “I certainly want to ingrain that mindset in all our players.”

“And the competition is not just going to be based on the tools that you have,” Grifol said. “It’s going to be based on the style of baseball that we want to play. We know we need to hit and we know we need to score more runs and situational hit and all of that, but we also need to play defense and we need to run bases.”

Scott Merkin

Am at the point already would almost rather hear the sheer predictability of Hahn speak than this crap...

18 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

They're trying to send a message to the rookie here, not to the fans. He may well deserve it, but at the same time, it's awfully frustrating to see the level of effort everyone else puts out on an average day for this franchise while only a couple rookies get singled out for this kind of message. 

I do think they are attempting to send a message to the fans, too, because of criticism that no one is held accountable. Just like when Getz made the quick decision to keep Grifol. Getz was attempting to show he was acting independently of JR when the opposite was thought, at least by some. Lot of message sending here. I don't think it is hitting home.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Amazing how the latin guys on the vast majority of all the other teams don't have these issues. Pinning this as a "latin" thing is stupid. This is a WHITE SOX thing. Our white players are brain dead, our AA players are brain dead. Our SOX players are brain dead.

Yeah for some reason we're the only team with consistently "baseball stupid" LatAm players.

It's a White Sox thing. It's how Chris Getz teaches baseball, apparently.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

When they used to have Soxfest, I was at a seminar about the minor leagues. Buddy Bell was mentioning how unlike American players, most Latin signees have very little game experience. These guys get signed like some NFL teams draft based on combines.

With all due respect to Dick Allen, I don’t want to see or hear from Buddy Bell, Chris Getz, Dayton Moore, Pedro Grifol, Andrew Benintendi, Nicky Lopez, Mike Tosar, Eddie Rodriguez, soon Salvador Perez, and everyone who has ever played or worked for the Kansas City Royals.

White Sox cancer is bad enough. Now Getz and Pedro are importing dual mortalities via Royals Ebola.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

“That’s the competitiveness we need here with the White Sox,” Getz said. “I certainly want to ingrain that mindset in all our players.”

“And the competition is not just going to be based on the tools that you have,” Grifol said. “It’s going to be based on the style of baseball that we want to play. We know we need to hit and we know we need to score more runs and situational hit and all of that, but we also need to play defense and we need to run bases.”

Scott Merkin

TWTW ……..

8 hours ago, nrockway said:

Back to AAA where he had some success to get his confidence back.  It's Getz, all right.

Might help, might not.  Either way the Earth will keep spinning on its axis.

43 minutes ago, T R U said:

So we sent him down to play Gavin Sheets in RF the rest of the year, fuckin dumb

Don’t worry, I guarantee that we will hear how happy everyone is with the job Getz has done and that we won’t ever see another 1b shoved into the OF again. Like we heard this year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

How often does sending a player down actually improve their fundamentals?  I assume they were never addressed in the minors. 

He has until next spring to improve. Despite all that is wrong with him, Pedro penciled him in the starting line up 66 times this season.  I was excited after watching Pedro get introduced last winter. But it turns out he is a really bad manager. Someone who could probably use a trip to the minors himself.

• TLR 1