Marcus Thames named Hitting Coach

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I was going to make a joke that now Tyson Bagent's dad has someone to arm wrestle but that was Eric Thames.  I have no idea who Marcus Thames is so it should be a fine hire. 

If they want to hit better get better hitters.  

I also thought we hired Eric Thames. 

And a shocker, they aren't even related:

We all wanted the Sox to go outside the organization, they went outside the organization. We screamed about Royal connections, they're signing coaches without Royal connections. It all seems like a plan. 

edit - and once Thames left the Yankees after 2022, their hitting fell off a cliff. I like it. 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Maybe because the Sox are running out of available people from KC,  or because no coach in their right mind would pick the Chicago White Sox as a destination so our options are limited to losing organizations.

• Like 2

Thames is a good choice. Not gonna find many hitting coaches with any experience who doesn't have a stop that didn't work out. I think I've repeated too many times that I really liked the yankees FO + coaching staff during that era.

I mean to be honest I also would have liked Sean Casey the yankees hitting coach who took over this year, but seems like he quit because he didn't want to be a full-time HC.

I just really want to fire marco paddy though, personally.

• Like 1

Not sure I would have hired a guy that essentially coached the Yankees through the peak sign stealing era.

Not saying that relaying to the batter what is coming started during the 2010s nor am I saying it ended there, but working with a guess hitting approach had to be a significant portion of what all hitting coaches did during that era.

Any chance he speaks spanish?  

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

Thames is a good choice. Not gonna find many hitting coaches with any experience who doesn't have a stop that didn't work out. I think I've repeated too many times that I really liked the yankees FO + coaching staff during that era.

I mean to be honest I also would have liked Sean Casey the yankees hitting coach who took over this year, but seems like he quit because he didn't want to be a full-time HC.

I just really want to fire marco paddy though, personally.

This is a good hire, objectively. He's worked with clubs much more successful at hitting than Chicago and doesn't bring baggage with him off field or anything.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I have no idea who Marcus Thames is so it should be a fine hire. 

If they want to hit better get better hitters.  

Do you even baseball? He was on the Tigers during the Sox world series win and competitive window in the 2000s. 

Yes...they need to get better hitters...but this is NOT the FA class to really help that all that much unfortunately outside the top 3-5 players (which they will never sign)

For those that question the 3rd team in 3 years narrative...his last two clubs fired their manager and he bolted assuming he would get replaced. Oh the irony here...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Toughest job in baseball. And our needs are more power and less strikeouts, which are pulling in opposite directions. Good luck. 

While those are needs, easily their biggest priority is getting on base, and patience associated with that.

• Like 1