Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

https://www.mlb.com/news/chris-getz-discusses-possibility-of-dylan-cease-trade

“I've got to have the health of the organization in mind, and if I feel like [a trade] is something that we should do to make us better in the short term and long term, I think you have to take strong consideration there,” Getz said. “... Teams are still calling. They are still trying to work on a deal that works for both sides.

“If there’s a match somewhere, we’ll do it.”

The “short term” piece concerns me a bit. Trade Cease for 2026 -2027 ready prospects. Don’t care much who they acquire the next two years beyond prospects. After trading Santos and Cease, they are at least 20 players short of competing in 2025.

• Like 1

Speaking of NYY prospects, Law did his writeup on The Athletic.

He actually likes Arias (3) more than Jones (4) and feels Arias has best upside of anyone in system outside of Dominguez. Very good batspeed from left side, arm and speed and should stick at SS. He acknowledges Jones has mega power but pitch recognition needs alot of work and success rate of people built like him isnt high. Also likes Lombard (5). Expects above avg defense at SS and good power. Doesn't seem to be super high on Hampton (6) or Warren (9) based on writeups. Thinks Lalane (11) is a long term play with mid rotation potential or even better, 6'7 LHP touches 97 with easy delivery. As to @Chicago White Sox boy Ben Rice (20), thinks he can be platoon 1B/DH and maybe backup catcher, but isnt really a catcher. Very strong and left handed but has uphill swing that could be exploited by better pitching. 

For more see https://theathletic.com/5261866/2024/02/12/yankees-2024-top-prospects-keith-law/

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Speaking of NYY prospects, Law did his writeup on The Athletic.

He actually likes Arias (3) more than Jones (4) and feels Arias has best upside of anyone in system outside of Dominguez. Very good batspeed from left side, arm and speed and should stick at SS. He acknowledges Jones has mega power but pitch recognition needs alot of work and success rate of people built like him isnt high. Also likes Lombard (5). Expects above avg defense at SS and good power. Doesn't seem to be super high on Hampton (6) or Warren (9) based on writeups. Thinks Lalane (11) is a long term play with mid rotation potential or even better, 6'7 LHP touches 97 with easy delivery. As to @Chicago White Sox boy Ben Rice (20), thinks he can be platoon 1B/DH and maybe backup catcher, but isnt really a catcher. Very strong and left handed but has uphill swing that could be exploited by better pitching. 

For more see https://theathletic.com/5261866/2024/02/12/yankees-2024-top-prospects-keith-law/

Rice is a total wild card, but I do think a cheap platoon DH who can serve as an emergency 3rd catcher has real value.  Given his age and lack of tools, he’s a guy the Yankees shouldn’t lose sleep over giving up in the back end of a deal.

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rice is a total wild card, but I do think a cheap platoon DH who can serve as an emergency 3rd catcher has real value.  Given his age and lack of tools, he’s a guy the Yankees shouldn’t lose sleep over giving up in the back end of a deal.

FWIW, Arias, Hampton and Lalane would be 49m on BTV, I didn't see Rice on there but perhaps I missed him. Cease ofcourse at 42, so it's actually pretty reasonable when you add in the 10% premium for SP based on the Burnes trade (36 vs 33). 

39 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sort of Cease related, but the Pirates are talking to the Marlins about their starters. You gotta assume they have talked/are still talking to the Sox.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/pirates-trade-rumors-marlins-edward-cabrera-free-agency-domingo-german.html

If it’s not Luzardo…then they’re not in Cease territory in terms of the prospect ask.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Sort of Cease related, but the Pirates are talking to the Marlins about their starters. You gotta assume they have talked/are still talking to the Sox.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/pirates-trade-rumors-marlins-edward-cabrera-free-agency-domingo-german.html

There was something awhile back where some dude/writer was claiming on Twitter that PIT was trying hard to get Cease.

They have alot of pitching in their system so Getz would like that and a LHS in T. Johnson. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic