Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Balta may still be right as well, no?  Thorpe is #85 on MLB’s top 100.

DIllon Head or DeVrieze 50/50 one of the remaining 3 names...

Iriarte as the #8 in their system should be just off the 100 mark...as DeVrieze as the #1 international signing was listed as #99 in some of the update lists, so think 100-115/20ish range for Iriarte.

And Balta certainly didn't predict FIVE players going for Cease, either.   All depends on these other three names, though.

Likely pushes the White Sox system to the #12-15ish range, in all likelihood.

Thorpe is currently BA’s 58th overall prospect or the 15th highest ranked pitching prospect.  I get wanting one of their even higher regarded arms (I really wanted Snelling), but let’s not pretend like he’s some fringe top 100 type.

Iriarte was #92 overall on the 2023 list and is a consensus top 10 prospect in a really strong system.

Need to see the rest of the package though.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I still think @harold insinuated Heads involvement 

5th, 8th and 9th MLB ranked Padres Prospects if true.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/padres/

3rd, 4th and unranked (Head - though at 19 obviously not an imminent MLB player) on FanGraphs

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/prospect-report-san-diego-padres-2024-imminent-big-leaguers/

So BA has Iriarte as a breakout potential pitcher. Posting for the non subs. He sounds fun.

Jairo Iriarte, RHP, Padres: There are few pitchers in the minors as athletic as Iriarte. He’s an explosive thrower with a direct, explosive downhill delivery. Iriarte reached Double-A in 2023, making seven starts among his 13 appearances. He struck out 40.5% of batters he faced over 29.1 innings. While his command was fringe, it’s reasonable to anticipate some improvement in that area as Iriarte repeats his delivery well. He mixes a four-seam fastball and slider predominantly, slipping in a changeup and curveball infrequently.

Iriarte’s fastball features a cluster of strong traits including plus velocity, flat vertical approach angle, 6.9 feet of extension and a 5-foot-3 release height. These traits allow Iriarte to throw a high rate of fastballs but still miss bats and fool hitters. Iriarte’s slider is a hard mid-80s slider with between 8-10 inches of sweep. The pitch had a 48.7% whiff rate in 2023 with a 38.1% called+swinging strike rate. The two-pitch nature of Iriarte’s arsenal makes him a relief risk and he’s been limited in his exposure as a professional after the fourth inning. In this way, Iriarte is not that dissimilar from the Dodgers’ Emmet Sheehan entering 2024. 

Edited by DirtySox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Thorpe is currently BA’s 58th overall prospect or the 15th highest ranked pitching prospect.  I get wanting one of their even higher regarded arms (I really wanted Snelling), but let’s not pretend like he’s some fringe top 100 type.

Iriarte was #92 overall on the 2023 list and is a consensus top 10 prospect in a really strong system.

Need to see the rest of the package though.

Iriarte screams reliever 

• Like 3

• Heads22 unpinned this topic