Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

3 hours ago, joejoesox said:

The Sox should, on paper, be worse than last year.  I can't wait to see Jerry's cronies try to stop the further hemorrhaging of whatever's left of this fan base.  Gonna be a dark few years that's for sure.  I don't think any of us have seen anything like what's about to happen in 2024/2025

Trust me, to lose me as an mlb.com subscriber because I have no interest in watching the Sox lose 110 games, is indicative of how our fan base will this year consist of so few people it'll make your head spin. The idea of another rebuild after the last one was a joke should make every die hard Sox fan consider jumping ship. It's just no fun to watch this bad of a team play baseball. Can't believe Stoney doesn't flip to another team. Just because this will be such bad ball to broadcast.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Trust me, to lose me as an mlb.com subscriber because I have no interest in watching the Sox lose 110 games, is indicative of how our fan base will this year consist of so few people it'll make your head spin. The idea of another rebuild after the last one was a joke should make every die hard Sox fan consider jumping ship. It's just no fun to watch this bad of a team play baseball. Can't believe Stoney doesn't flip to another team. Just because this will be such bad ball to broadcast.

If your phone (IPhone 8 or higher with OS 16), Android (OS 8 or higher) and or PC/TV device is compatible, you can watch televised minor league games, listen to all radio or web broadcast MLB games with no blackouts, plus watch on going in game highlights and live look-ins via MLB Big Inning for $29.99 / year under the At Bat subscription:

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe

I have iPhone 7, so can’t use on phone, but may still subscribe to watch Charlotte and Birmingham games via PC, assuming the website doesn’t make me disable my VPN or ad blockers, which is likely a pipe dream.

The Minor League games are far more important in terms of the White Sox’ future, especially considering the players Tony/Getz/Pedro will likely roster to open the season.

Also won’t have to listen to the new Hey Now! PBP Guy or a salty Steve Stone either, always a plus.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am sure Dylan Cease is the one who is relieved now that this ordeal is over for him.  Despite getting highly compensated, it could not have been easy for him and his family to be not knowing where they will end up.  Trade deadline is one thing, but this was going on for nearly 5 months straight.  

8 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

LMAO @ Aly claiming she never saw control for him over 55 anywhere and fangraphs (presumably the first place one would look) has it at 70. 

I'm not a fan of Thorpe as the headliner or this trade overall, but she is either arguing in outright bad faith, or is trying to be the female Ron.

Nah I just fucked up. I didn't look at fangraphs I looked at MLB pipeline and even them had it at 60, I was very wrong. I thought it said 55 but I must have been looking at the wrong tool, my bad. 

14 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

I am sure Dylan Cease is the one who is relieved now that this ordeal is over for him.  Despite getting highly compensated, it could not have been easy for him and his family to be not knowing where they will end up.  Trade deadline is one thing, but this was going on for nearly 5 months straight.  

He hasn’t gotten highly compensated yet, he was just moved.  The compensation part comes next offseason and will most likely be a longer period of uncertainty due to his agent 

Upon further review, Steven Wilson is a very interesting 4th piece.  I wrote him off pretty much immediately due to his age, but the dude has put up pretty solid traditional stats, has posted +80th percentile xwOBA’s the past two years, and has really good stuff (ranked 18th in Stuff+ last year amongst relievers).  His pitch mix is basically just a plus 4-seamer (FG graded it a 70 back in 2022 despite just avg velocity) & his bread & butter “slutter” that he’s been enhancing through technology.  The sweeper all but confirms this is a Bannister guy.

If it were me, I’d hand the closer role to Wilson and see how he responds.  If he does well, we could be looking at a very valuable trade asset at the deadline as Wilson still has four years of control left.  It’s still somewhat bizarre Getz went down this route vs. just getting an extra prospect, but I appreciate the creativity if they truly believe Wilson has real flip potential come July.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, joejoesox said:

The Sox should, on paper, be worse than last year.  I can't wait to see Jerry's cronies try to stop the further hemorrhaging of whatever's left of this fan base.  Gonna be a dark few years that's for sure.  I don't think any of us have seen anything like what's about to happen in 2024/2025

Disagree.  Vaughn, Moncada, and Benny should all be better this year.  Right field and second base figure to be better.  Catcher cannot get worse.  So, on television, Sox should be better this year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Disagree.  Vaughn, Moncada, and Benny should all be better this year.  Right field and second base figure to be better.  Catcher cannot get worse.  So, on television, Sox should be better this year.

I agree with this. Your SS this year should also at least give you defense and a little bit of pop. Last year that position provided absolutely nothing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I agree with this. Your SS this year should also at least give you defense and a little bit of pop. Last year that position provided absolutely nothing. 

Over the last 2 years, DeJong combined for just over 600 PAs and a .587 OPS. Anderson last year was .582. 

I’ll accept “a little bit of defense”, but DeJong is basically 2023 Anderson with the bat at this stage in his career.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Upon further review, Steven Wilson is a very interesting 4th piece.  I wrote him off pretty much immediately due to his age, but the dude has put up pretty solid traditional stats, has posted +80th percentile xwOBA’s the past two years, and has really good stuff (ranked 18th in Stuff+ last year amongst relievers).  His pitch mix is basically just a plus 4-seamer (FG graded it a 70 back in 2022 despite just avg velocity) & his bread & butter “slutter” that he’s been enhancing through technology.  The sweeper all but confirms this is a Bannister guy.

If it were me, I’d hand the closer role to Wilson and see how he responds.  If he does well, we could be looking at a very valuable trade asset at the deadline as Wilson still has four years of control left.  It’s still somewhat bizarre Getz went down this route vs. just getting an extra prospect, but I appreciate the creativity if they truly believe Wilson has real flip potential come July.

He was having a great season until August came around 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

He was having a great season until August came around 

And I wonder how much of his August struggles were attributed to his hip injury. Before that, he had an ERA below 3 and was at 3.06 the year before. Assuming he’s healthy now, he could very well be the best arm the Sox have in the pen this season. If he sports an ERA below 3 and is effective in closing games into July, he could be a very highly sought after deadline arm for a contender.

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And I wonder how much of his August struggles were attributed to his hip injury. Before that, he had an ERA below 3 and was at 3.06 the year before. Assuming he’s healthy now, he could very well be the best arm the Sox have in the pen this season. If he sports an ERA below 3 and is effective in closing games into July, he could be a very highly sought after deadline arm for a contender.

Yup, a bet a lot of teams would love to nut up for that slutter come July

• Haha 1

Also to add on to Wilson, he probably walks a few more than you’d like to see but he doesn’t get hit much. He has a career WHIP of 1.11 in over 100 IP in mlb (santos was at 1.30 last season for reference). As we’ve seen over the years, sometimes top relievers don’t find success until their late 20s.

29 minutes ago, oldsox said:

You didn;t mention the pitching staff at all. Wonder why lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Also to add on to Wilson, he probably walks a few more than you’d like to see but he doesn’t get hit much. He has a career WHIP of 1.11 in over 100 IP in mlb (santos was at 1.30 last season for reference). As we’ve seen over the years, sometimes top relievers don’t find success until their late 20s.

This is because he has a career BABIP of .223. League wide that was .297. The Padres, interestingly enough, had a very low BABIP - so is a lot of that a combination of luck and a big ballpark? 

12 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

You didn;t mention the pitching staff at all. Wonder why lol. 

Lynn sucked. Kopech sucked. I think everyone has forgotten the wonder of Ureña, Scholtens, Toussaint 3, 4 & 5 in the rotation. 

19 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Lynn sucked. Kopech sucked. I think everyone has forgotten the wonder of Ureña, Scholtens, Toussaint 3, 4 & 5 in the rotation. 

And they were replaced with more MLB proven suck.  All they have is more potential than the guys you mentioned, but no track records of success.

Also, one of the guys you mentioned (Kopech) is still in the rotation, and he hasn’t shown any signs of improving as a starting pitcher.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Just now, WestEddy said:

Who is the openind day starter this year? Erik Fedde? A dude who pitched in Korea last year? Very impressive. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Given the likely attendance figures the next few years, don’t get your hopes up about spending of any significance.

Is Jerry really going to want to watch horseshit baseball the last few years of his life?  I don't expect the Sox to become free spending, but they have like $50M committed to 2025 payroll.  They can spend a ton of $ without even coming close to the previous payroll highs in 21-23. 

• Heads22 unpinned this topic