Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)

Buehrle>Wood

13 hours ago, joejoesox said:

the solution is to stop caring about the white sox until they're no longer 💩

Call me a Fairweather fan but this is exactly where I am. I refuse to spend another minute of my life being angry about a professional sports team with a billionaire owner who doesn't give a s%*#. It must be really nice to be a fan of a team with an owner that actually tries to win. I'll be a fan again once JR is gone. 

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, tray said:

No, JR and the Sox and for that matter, Ricketts and the Cubs are not cheap or foolish for not risking tremendous amounts of money on these mega player contracts

(including betting .7 Billion on a soon to  be 30 yr old Ohtani with 2 arm surgeries and 0 WS Titles )

In fact, more owners, including the perennial big players like the Yankees and Dodgers should do the same.  MLB needs a salary cap of some sort to finally harness this issue and achieve some kind or parity and competitiveness. Fan complaints about which owners spends and which do not have become an old axe to grind every year. Here things have devolved into cruel posts with questionable motives about JR being "cheap" and even wishing for his passing. It really has gotten to be ridiculous.

You know, I would agree with this line of thinking if Reinsdorf and the rest of the owners sold tickets for $5, or if they didn't black out every radio telecast out of market. Owners are greedy and they charges us premium prices to consume their product, so I feel like they are obligated to spend on premium talent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

You know, I would agree with this line of thinking if Reinsdorf and the rest of the owners sold tickets for $5, or if they didn't black out every radio telecast out of market. Owners are greedy and they charge us premium prices to consume their product, so I feel like they are obligated to spend on premium talent. 

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

MLB keeps getting worse and worse. Blackouts, awful marketing on social media, and this s%*# where basically LA and NY can do whatever the hell they want to do to buy the best players 

People like to think it's new. But mlb has ways been this way. 

Where did the Yankees get players like Ruth and Maris. 

From other teams. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

You know, I would agree with this line of thinking if Reinsdorf and the rest of the owners sold tickets for $5, or if they didn't black out every radio telecast out of market. Owners are greedy and they charges us premium prices to consume their product, so I feel like they are obligated to spend on premium talent. 

Most teams broadcast a significant number to nearly a full season of games over the air free to all, and contracted with the strongest 50,000 watt stations to carry their games via radio across a large region. 

Teams in the NBA and NHL are starting to revert broadcasts from closed restricted cable system to over-the-air available to everyone in the community. The Mets and Phillies are among teams that have expanded their over-the-air broadcasts and have greatly benefited as well. They figured out that they can make more profits and create long term fan interest by making games available to everyone like the NFL does for nearly every broadcast and playoff game.

The Cubs grow popularity throughout the Midwest and beyond with WGN. With the Marquee Network, they will continue to drive down interest in MLB, primarily among the children and young adults who have eschewed cable. Jerry will likely be 162 PPV or National Broadcast games. MLB went from 1/3rd of America tuning into the World Series to 1/30th because they shifted broadcasts to subscription pay TV that a majority of Americans have since cut the cable cord., up to 75% projected in 2025 with the vast majority who remain are senior citizens who don't draw advertisement revenue.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Ron Blomberg

November 17, 1977 – In the wake of free agent defections by Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble, owner Bill Veeck signed infielder/DH Ron Blomberg to a free agent contract. Blomberg missed the previous two years with a severe leg injury but Veeck signed him anyway.

On opening day 1978 he’d hit a dramatic ninth inning game tying home run but he did very little afterwards. Making matters worse is that Veeck signed him to a guaranteed multiyear contract. Veeck turned his sights on him after Gamble took a last-minute offer from the Padres after the Sox thought they had a deal to keep him on the South Side.

Thanks LipMan. I remember now Blomberg was horsebleep with the Sox. I don't think Gamble did much in San Diego as I recall. I remember there were high hopes for Blomberg but he stunk. Those Veeck teams were interesting. Remember how bad a shortstop Bannister was? He'd throw the ball into the stands sometimes. But he could hit the ball, line drive smashes in the magical South Side Hit Men season. One time in that four-game series against the Royals in which the Sox won the first three but let Hal McRae intimidate them in Game Four (tipping his cap as he ran snail's pace around the bases) and ruin their season, the Sox I believe were down 4-0 in the first. By the bottom of the first they led 5-4 or 6-4.  Hail to Bill Veeck for doing the best he could.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

I just did a little reading on this guy and holy crap he has more red flags than downtown Moscow.  He's only 25 but he's already thrown a ton of innings in Japan with very high pitch counts. He's an extremely undersized (5'8") right hander w/a violent delivery and he throws A TON of splitters.  I get the stuff is really good but when (not if) this guy breaks there may be no repairing him.  Caveat emptor.

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I just did a little reading on this guy and holy crap he has more red flags than downtown Moscow.  He's only 25 but he's already thrown a ton of innings in Japan with very high pitch counts. He's an extremely undersized (5'8") right hander w/a violent delivery and he throws A TON of splitters.  I get the stuff is really good but when (not if) this guy breaks there may be no repairing him.  Caveat emptor.

Going to be a lot of Roy Oswalt comps...Pedro Martinez would be another.  Stroman.

The high school pitch counts in Japan are just insane.   Hopefully Yamamoto and Sasaki can come out of their inevitable surgeries intact.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't understand why MLB doesn't just create a streaming service like Netflix. Allow live action, and allow the watching of each game with commercials, or offer that shortened "plays only" option that NFL does. I watch a couple games a year, and I would probably subscribe if I could throw on a game when the wife falls asleep. Or go back and watch a series. Even the garbage the White Sox threw on the field in 2023 would be better than some of the TV shows we're choking our way through. 

• Fire 1
  • TLR 2

On 12/11/2023 at 1:38 PM, EloyJenkins said:

Which contract will be worse, 10/700 for Ohtani or 9/300 for Yamamoto? 

IMO both are going to look poor in 3-4 years, but Yamamoto isn't even guaranteed to be a success without seeing him against MLB talent. 

$700 million is just a number to grab headlines, the PV of the contract is $450 million. Judging on those numbers, I'd say  Yamamoto is certainly the bigger risk.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I don't understand why MLB doesn't just create a streaming service like Netflix. Allow live action, and allow the watching of each game with commercials, or offer that shortened "plays only" option that NFL does. I watch a couple games a year, and I would probably subscribe if I could throw on a game when the wife falls asleep. Or go back and watch a series. Even the garbage the White Sox threw on the field in 2023 would be better than some of the TV shows we're choking our way through. 

Bro, please tell me this is a joke post.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Isn't this MLB TV?

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

So, what can the Yankees and Mets offer for Cease?

I also know that Dan Clark is...flimsy at best.

I actually really like Jett Williams and Drew Gilbert. I also wanted Colin Houck from last year's draft class.

Always wondered about makeup concerns with Jett & Gilbert though.

On 12/12/2023 at 7:12 PM, WestEddy said:

This is basically MLB.tv now. MLB is still tied too deeply with cable providers to go completely streaming, which is fine, they just need to end stupid blackouts. I'd gladly pay extra to stream Sox games, but I refuse to pay for cable in order to do so.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

This is basically MLB.tv now. MLB is still tied too deeply with cable providers to go completely streaming, which is fine, they just need to end stupid blackouts. I'd gladly pay extra to stream Sox games, but I refuse to pay for cable in order to do so.

I don't want to pay $150.00 for the season, and I don't understand the blackout rules, so I'd be pretty angry to get the package, then find out I can't watch certain games, depending on where I am. I'm too lazy to try to figure out the best way to give MLB my money right now. Especially with a "free" alternative. 

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I don't want to pay $150.00 for the season, and I don't understand the blackout rules, so I'd be pretty angry to get the package, then find out I can't watch certain games, depending on where I am. I'm too lazy to try to figure out the best way to give MLB my money right now. Especially with a "free" alternative. 

Travel to Seoul for Opening Series w/Ohtani lol...simple answer there is to support minor league baseball franchises if they are independently run.

But even the minors is consolidating behind deca millionaire/oligopoly groups.

Clintons and Burlingtons and Waterloo's are all dead.

Edited by caulfield12

50 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I did the “free” route for a long time but the quality and reliability of the legit mlb stream spoiled me. Having the option to switch between tv & radio calls, or home & away also makes it well worth it IMO.  Blackouts are dumb  but when the local team sucks ass it’s not so bad. 

• Like 1

• Balta1701 changed the title to Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)