Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

On the inside, looks a lot like Comerica imo. Which is actually a very underrated ballpark. Not much to look at from the inside, but a great place to watch a game.

I would love to see them capture some of the look of Old Comiskey like the window arches

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

A few things

• Anyone thinking the $50M is an issue needs to leave the conversation
  • The government will fund infrastructure upgrades that they would for any development.  This will be viewed as the taxpayers handing money to JR but they would be wrong.
  •  The White Sox and Bears are in a race for ISFA bond issuance
  • Not seen in this message - who own Related Midwest ----- the Miami Dolphins----- who could position themself to buy all this up when JR visits his ancestors ---- Stephen Ross ---- as we learned in the movie JFK ---- follow the money

The way JR runs his sports teams has zero correlation with this project.  The yelling at the cloud crowd need to understand this.  This was proven with the UC deal.

The Metra schedule is not that conducive currently.  I can walk to it but I still drive and park for free.  Make the experience better (schedule wise) and I'm on the train.  I also would drag my boat home from Michigan for a ride up the River. 

Not to be pedantic, but “follow the money” originated with “All the President’s Men.”  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, palehose1 said:

I would love to see them capture some of the look of Old Comiskey like the window arches

Yeah a little more character on the exterior would be cool. As is, it looks a bit like a convention center.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Honestly the renderings didn't blow me away. Location is very cool and love the backdrop, but the stadium itself is very vanilla, lacks any sort of personality. 

That's going to be the downfall.  JR lacks personality and so will his part in this.  

My hope is JR doesn't have the input on this.

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

That's going to be the downfall.  JR lacks personality and so will his part in this.  

My hope is JR doesn't have the input on this.

JR ruined the present stadium with the upper deck that everybody has hated from the beginning. I hope he stays out of the stadium design business with the new stadium.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

My dad said that they reminded him of old Comiskey.

I never got to experience it but I assumed that was a reference, yeah.

Also reminds me of Philadelphia. Thought how cool this moment would have been with us and then I made myself feel bad again.

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Anyone complaining about this is too far gone. This would be the best thing to happen to the White Sox ever.

The stadium is cool too. Nothing wrong with it. 

It checks so many boxes.

• Good location
  • Skyline
  • Pinwheels are still there (I personally would prefer that they have staggered heights, but it's most important that they are there)
  • Tiered bleachers look cool
  • Exterior plaza. Jerry could put so many statues here.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

JR ruined the present stadium with the upper deck that everybody has hated from the beginning. I hope he stays out of the stadium design business with the new stadium.

I was gonna make some dumb joke about JR's final f*** you to fans being that he insists the stadium face southwest but....that would be cool too!

You'd have the river out there and the St Charles Air Line Bridge in the backdrop.

Just an awesome location.

• Like 1

Sox fans are a weird bunch. 

Practically my whole life, people bitched about the current stadium.  Now, they are planning to build a ballpark that looks like it would be one of the premier sports venues in the entire country and a large segment of Sox fans suddenly fell in love with the current park.  

Today on the radio, Laurence Holmes was making a huge deal that it only takes him 8 minutes to get to the Sox game now.  The new park will take him 18 minutes he said.  This was supposed to be damning evidence against having a beautiful new stadium. 

The new site is near all the major highways.  It will have access to a metra, red, green, orange CTA lines.  It will be accessible by water taxi.  It will be walkable for a whole bunch of people who live and work nearby.  And yes... it will have parking.

It will be built in an up and coming area.  It will have great views.  It will be near a ton of bars and restaurants.  It will include a super cool park/green space for people to hang out. 

The park will undoubtedly have better seating.  It will have better bathrooms.  It will have better food options.

It will also end the "Will the Sox move to [insert mid-market city]?" discussions that pop up here every once in a while.  It should inject some life into the organization and allow them to invest more money into the club in the future.

Most importantly, it will most likely be a much more enjoyable place for fans to go for a game.  I love going to New Comiskey... but come on, this is going to be so much better.  

• Like 12
  • Fire 2
  • Hawk 1

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

It checks so many boxes.

• Good location
  • Skyline
  • Pinwheels are still there (I personally would prefer that they have staggered heights, but it's most important that they are there)
  • Tiered bleachers look cool
  • Exterior plaza. Jerry could put so many statues here.

As long as there is room for Reinsdorf Tower beyond LF. 

12 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Practically my whole life, people bitched about the current stadium.  Now, they are planning to build a ballpark that looks like it would be one of the premier sports venues in the entire country and a large segment of Sox fans suddenly fell in love with the current park.  

Today on the radio, Laurence Holmes was making a huge deal that it only takes him 8 minutes to get to the Sox game now.  The new park will take him 18 minutes he said.  This was supposed to be damning evidence against having a beautiful new stadium. 

The new site is near all the major highways.  It will have access to a metra, red, green, orange CTA lines.  It will be accessible by water taxi.  It will be walkable for a whole bunch of people who live and work nearby.  And yes... it will have parking.

It will be built in an up and coming area.  It will have great views.  It will be near a ton of bars and restaurants.  It will include a super cool park/green space for people to hang out. 

The park will undoubtedly have better seating.  It will have better bathrooms.  It will have better food options.

It will also end the "Will the Sox move to [insert mid-market city]?" discussions that pop up here every once in a while.  It should inject some life into the organization and allow them to invest more money into the club in the future.

Most importantly, it will most likely be a much more enjoyable place for fans to go for a game.  I love going to New Comiskey... but come on, this is going to be so much better.  

And the best part is at some point,maybe even before it's completed,there will be new ownership that is willing to put a good product on the field. If this is JRs parting gift, thank you very much.  He can even call it Reinsdorf Park if he wants.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Great comments!!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I'm just salty this didn't happen when I was younger and going to more games. God damnit ha

Will be ecstatic if happens though.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, pcq said:

The only downside is the site might literally be a cesspool but it's OUR cesspool. 

'This is a joke, and a good one, but for any wondering this group apparently already did the environmental cleanup which was one of the reasons I first thought this may actually be happening.

22 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I’m one of the few here who think they can both stay with a larger development they can profit from with more land available at the current site, or build at 78, and be happy either way.

As long as the final deal is done thoughtfully, and taxpayers and Sox fans are better protected than the bad 1988 deal. Jerry got his way, but screwed up as well (stadium direction, upper deck). Would also want future development at the current site to be a win for Bridgeport.

Have more confidence with Pritzker over Thompson, and with the public in general having more skepticism in these handouts. The devil is in the details, and we are a long way from anything formally happening. No need for LH or anyone to fret about anything at this stage. Politicians, citizens and Sox fans just need to stay diligent during the process.

38 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

I wouldn't assume too much here. Lawrence Holmes is annoying, but there are a lot of stories on this and nothing else white sox because clearly people are excited for the most part. ANd 10 minutes...doesn't seem bad.

I'm sure a lot of people are like me and hate going to soldier field just for that long walk meandering walk east and racing people to get to roosevelt.

And I can visualize it being like that except without the long walk east! That rules.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I wouldn't assume too much here. Lawrence Holmes is annoying, but there are a lot of stories on this and nothing else white sox because clearly people are excited for the most part. ANd 10 minutes...doesn't seem bad.

I'm sure a lot of people are like me and hate going to soldier field just for that long walk meandering walk east and racing people to get to roosevelt.

And I can visualize it being like that except without the long walk east! That rules.

I don’t even know why Holmes pretends he’s a fan anymore.  I was hoping Benetti leaving was his last straw.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Anyone, including myself, coming from the southside or Indiana is going to see their commute go up by 10-15 minutes.  Guess what, this is still a huge net positive.

• Like 3

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Anyone, including myself, coming from the southside or Indiana is going to see their commute go up by 10-15 minutes.  Guess what, this is still a huge net positive.

And anyone coming from the north and west will lose that 10-15 minutes.