Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think the Sox wanted to get this close to the Tax in the 1st place let alone go over it. They are planning to be able to make moves at the TDL too so they feel something has to be in reserve. Kimbrel's the move that has to get done 1st.

If we are $17M away from the cap anything  freeing up $10M+ leaves the Sox able to afford $20M a year more and leaves some for the TDL. Might even get a prospect to use in a trade.

But what assets do we really have to trade at the deadline even for a real good rental? Our minor league system is really bad and if we cant swing deals now for a one year pitcher why would we be able to swing for deals later when more teams will be fighting for playoff spots and they have better systems to deal from. The sox are at their highest payroll in their history now and re probably two players away from really being a world series contender with no minor league prospects that many teams care about. Not arguing at all but we gave up two players from our current roster last year at the deadline. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Solid post. I don't really disagree with anything you are saying, and the frustrations are justified.

My biggest gripe with the offseason complaints on this board (not just you) is the timing of them. People seem to talk in absolutes ("we didn't sign a RF", etc.) as if the offseason is over. 

Why weren't those same complaints being posted in November?  Well, the answer is obvious...we still had a full offseason to make the moves. So when exactly is the breaking point?  For me, it's April 8.  I won't complain about the lack of moves until I see our opening day roster. But what is the breaking point for others?  Is it a certain date?  Is it when we've spent money on smaller free agents?  Is it when our supposed top targets have signed with other teams?

To me, and I hope I'm wrong, but this off-season is pretty much a wrap for the White Sox. If they move Kimbrel, it will be to acquire something that helps them this year IMO. It just wouldn't make sense to trade MLB pieces for Kimbrel to go all-in per se, only to turn around and swap him 6 months later for minor league pieces that don't help the big league roster. I don't think the Sox intend to use any Kimbrel dollars to sign someone like Conforto. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

Just now, quickman said:

But what assets do we really have to trade at the deadline even for a real good rental? Our minor league system is really bad and if we cant swing deals now for a one year pitcher why would we be able to swing for deals later when more teams will be fighting for playoff spots and they have better systems to deal from. The sox are at their highest payroll in their history now and re probably two players away from really being a world series contender with no minor league prospects that many teams care about. Not arguing at all but we gave up two players from our current roster last year at the deadline. 

Half a season of Minor league baseball changes things just like 1/2 a season of Kimbrel being great changed his value at the TDL. It's just the way they think and it is prudent thinking at this point .Jerry isn't going over the CBT and they probably prefer >< $10M under it in wiggle room.

5 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Man, 2B and RF, who would have thought? Glad we shored those 2 positions up this offseason!

I'm glad they looked at these numbers at the TDL, and said to themselves, "Yeah, we need a closer!"

Then, before the lockout, they looked at those numbers AGAIN, and said to themselves, "Yeah, we need another RP!"

They then had 99 fucking days to fully study, absorb, and comprehend those numbers. After the lockout, they once again looked at those numbers, and they then told themselves, "Yeah, we need another RP!"

Look, I know you don't want to ever criticize RH, because he's such a fucking genius. But, I'm just gonna reiterate what I thought back at the TDL. That MAYBE, just MAYBE, they overvalue RPs.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah seeming teams like the Dodgers and Padres "suffer" like they have,  it just amazes me when people talk about trading people for no good reason just because the roster is currently tight.

I'm really not sure why the Padres always get grouped into these conversations; the Padres stink.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

RH has stated many times the White Sox planned to contend for multiple championships.

Well, that mission is technically already accomplished. Very likely they have a 3rd postseason, and still somewhat likely a 4th.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jerry authorized an 8/$250M deal for Machado and a 5/$125M deal for Wheeler.  At some point it falls on Hahn to actually sign someone to a nine figure deal.  The fact that Grandal’s $72M deal is the largest in team history is beyond embarrassing.

I'm glad they didn't get Machado. I don't like him personally and 3B is not the best position to finance at a superstar level. He's obviously a superstar at the position but it's still 122 OPS+ and 30 homers. I do like Moncada, and if he proves to be just a 17-23 HR guy he'll be easier to keep around after 24. This squad is fine if Moncada is an all around solid player and not a major power hitter that the offense hinges on, as is this case with most teams vis-a-vis 3B. 

3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is a tough call. Conforto will make more of a difference throughout the course of the season, but I feel like we will win the division no matter what.

A good SP will make more of a difference in a playoff series. For example, if we had Conforto for our series against the Astros, it wouldn't have made a difference at all. Our pitchers got pounded. One extra SP probably wouldn't have made a difference either, but you never know. All it takes is one pitcher to have a shut down game, and that series would have gone to game 5.

At the same time, there's a chance that Cease and Kopech have great years and are lights out in the playoffs (assuming we manage Kopech in a way that allows him to pitch in the playoffs).

Regardless of adding a bona fide starter, any hope of a championship depends on yet unproven starters, and you'd hope one of them emerges as a true ace. That could be Giolito and somewhat less likely it could be Cease. Realistically, Kopech is a year away from that possibility. 

3 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

The window is going to close soon.  They have 2-3 years to win before Jerry and his fiscal issues turn this into rebuild/reload.

We don't really know what kind of starters we have. If Cease and Kopech aren't for real, this is not likely to be a championship era. I'm really not sure at this moment if this is the year to go for it. Generally speaking, I'd like them to keep a keen eye on the 3-4 year window and leave themselves in a good position as far as core players and FA acquisitions for when that situation presents itself and there is a strong FA market etc.

with the cubs getting Villar the cubs doing what the whitesox do with their bullpen. stacking up players. Maybe we trade kimbrel back and get Horner? ( joking but not really) Just seems like they have alot of Middle infielders at the moment.

1 minute ago, KBX said:

We don't really know what kind of starters we have. If Cease and Kopech aren't for real, this is not likely to be a championship era. I'm really not sure at this moment if this is the year to go for it. Generally speaking, I'd like them to keep a keen eye on the 3-4 year window and leave themselves in a good position as far as core players and FA acquisitions for when that situation presents itself and there is a strong FA market etc.

I really don't think you have a firm grasp on the White Sox contractual realities:

- Jose Abreu is a FA at the end of the year and is talking about possibly walking away

- Grandal is an FA after the 2023 season, and will be 35 when he hits FA

- Giolito is an FA after the 2023 season

- Tim Anderson is a FA after the 2024 season

Things can change quickly, but with no real minor leagues to speak of, I'm currently unsure where the Sox are filling those large holes in 2023 and 2024. 

This year and next year is "the window" 

• Like 1

Hahn trading Madrigal (pre arb), Heuer (pre arb), and future Guardians ace Pilkington (milb deal) has led to Kimbrel (16 million) and Harrison (5 million) and an inability to improve the club with money.

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Hahn trading Madrigal (pre arb), Heuer (pre arb), and future Guardians ace Pilkington (milb deal) has led to Kimbrel (16 million) and Harrison (5 million) and an inability to improve the club with money.

As someone who liked Pilkington, this is where you need to step back from the ledge my dude.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, quickman said:

with the cubs getting Villar the cubs doing what the whitesox do with their bullpen. stacking up players. Maybe we trade kimbrel back and get Horner? ( joking but not really) Just seems like they have alot of Middle infielders at the moment.

I think Villar is actually a perfect fit for the Cubs. Hoerner and Madrigal are injury prone, Simmons can’t hit, and Wisdom is prone to slumps against righties. Happ is the only other lefty in the lineup (Heyward doesn’t count) so he’ll get a lot of play. I would take the over on 400 Pas between 2B, SS, and 3B

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They didn't go with Villar because he's bad defensively and there are too many poor defenders on this team. 

So they went for average at best. The guy isn't as good as the guy he replaced, who wasn't as good as the guy he replaced. That's how you build a championship team.

They had several months to zero in on targets, and once again , it seems they are out of touch with the rest of the league. How is the next rebuild going to go when you don't have stars on cheap contracts to obtain prospects?  If they keep the same knuckleheads in charge they will be bad for  years. I think the 2022 slogan should be We're Good Enough.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So they went for average at best. The guy isn't as good as the guy he replaced, who wasn't as good as the guy he replaced. That's how you build a championship team.

They had several months to zero in on targets, and once again , it seems they are out of touch with the rest of the league. How is the next rebuild going to go when you don't have stars on cheap contracts to obtain prospects?  If they keep the same knuckleheads in charge they will be bad for  years. I think the 2022 slogan should be We're Good Enough.

Chicago...the city of whelmed.