Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean - we needed relievers. Imagine how bad this pen would be without Kimbrel, Graveman and Kelly. I continue to not understand why people are so up in arms about signing the latter two. Maybe they over a tiny bit, but they needed relievers. Unless you wanted to watch Foster, Burr and Ruiz blow games all summer. 

You really don’t understand? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hold that water!

Jerry Reinsdorf is 86 years old, lives in Arizona, and has allowed the White Sox CBT payroll to reach a new high of $200 million. For the first time in my life, I find myself defending Reinsdorf more than ever and it's weird.

Again, why anyone follows him is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Hold that water!

Jerry Reinsdorf is 86 years old, lives in Arizona, and has allowed the White Sox CBT payroll to reach a new high of $200 million. For the first time in my life, I find myself defending Reinsdorf more than ever and it's weird.

It’s true though.  They’ve spent a lot of money on this payroll, just in a ridiculous fashion though 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

You really don’t understand? 

No, I don't understand why people would prefer to run out Ruiz, Foster and Burr.  Three relievers that have all proven they suck.  Should the Sox have spent money on a RF too? Yes.  And they still might.  

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

So when in your eyes do the Sox cross the threshold of not being smarter than everyone else and actually failed this off-season? What date is that on your calendar? 

When I see the final makeup of the team and don't like it.  The final team might well not be completed well into April.  It's not a typical offseason as you know.  From the beginning, I favored using Vaughn/Sheets/Engle in RF because they need to play somewhere on a nearly regular basis.  I said the bullpen and an SP were the needs I would like to address along with a backup catcher and of course 2nd base.  I did hope the 2nd base position would be a bigger upgrade than Harrison but so far he looks to be is better than I thought.  When a trade for Kendal is completed the final moves will fall in place.  My theory of best use of Vaughn/Sheets isn't necessarily the final solution.  As others have said...a trade of Vaughn for an SP and then perhaps a Conforto deal might be best.  

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No, I don't understand why people would prefer to run out Ruiz, Foster and Burr.  Three relievers that have all proven they suck.  Should the Sox have spent money on a RF too? Yes.  And they still might.  

You seem like a fairly smart person if I’m remembering your posts from the past. You’re playing dumb if you think people want Ruiz, Foster and Burr over Kelly, Graverman and Kimbrel. Yes, the three latter pitchers are better. Saying people are upset over that point is very disingenuous. 

People are upset the bullpen is seemingly the only area they upgraded. Read this from November: https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2021/11/8/22770148/white-sox-gm-rick-hahn-heads-to-gm-meetings-looking-to-improve-a-good-team%3F_amp%3Dtrue

Hahn is quoted: “The postseason performance was disappointing. The postseason performance was frustrating. It highlighted certain areas where we need to get better.” “We have work to do.” 

I don’t feel that Kelly, Graverman and keeping Kimbrel is what we had in mind with that quote. I don’t feel like he’s made this team that much better in 2022 than 2021. Yes, this should be a very good team. But given the Sox reluctance to pay big money in free agency, as well as having an absolutely terrible farm system…I believe they have a very small window to bring home a Championship and they have done an awful job of helping those chances the last 6-8 months. 

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When I see the final makeup of the team and don't like it.  The final team might well not be completed well into April.  It's not a typical offseason as you know.  From the beginning, I favored using Vaughn/Sheets/Engle in RF because they need to play somewhere on a nearly regular basis.  I said the bullpen and an SP were the needs I would like to address along with a backup catcher and of course 2nd base.  I did hope the 2nd base position would be a bigger upgrade than Harrison but so far he looks to be is better than I thought.  When a trade for Kendal is completed the final moves will fall in place.  My theory of best use of Vaughn/Sheets isn't necessarily the final solution.  As others have said...a trade of Vaughn for an SP and then perhaps a Conforto deal might be best.  

From a week of meaningless games? Dude you've lost the plot; I've been on the same page with you in the past about knee jerk reactions to the FO's moves, but I can't defend this anymore.

• Like 1

From a week of meaningless games? Dude you've lost the plot; I've been on the same page with you in the past about knee jerk reactions to the FO's moves, but I can't defend this anymore.

That one sliced double made quite the impression

• Haha 1

You don't think Harrison has looked pretty good?  I agree he's no Madrigal...but that ship has sailed.

Just now, poppysox said:

You don't think Harrison has looked pretty good?  I agree he's no Madrigal...but that ship has sailed.

there is NOTHING performance wise any vet can do in spring training to change my perception of them. nothing. I'm too old for that shit man. 20 years of being a hardcore fan and I can count the number of hot springs from an aging vet that carried over into the year on...zero fingers. Can you name a single one? 

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

No, his bat looks slow.  He’s about the most mediocre option they could have wasted their money on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just came to concede that the Sox aren’t getting Conforto.  It’s been hard for me to accept the levels of incompetence with this organization, but after witnessing them ruining their relationship with their best pitcher over $50k, it’s very clear that either Rick Hahn is way over his head as GM, Tony has too much influence on roster decisions, or Jerry is meddling too much in baseball decisions (or some combo of the three).  Regardless, the Sox seem totally content with the core they have in place and instead of supplementing with impact talent would prefer spending like drunk sailors on ancillary pieces.  It’s an absolute shame that we will be rocking such a high payroll and haven’t really moved the needle.  What a bizarre and epic failure of an offseason.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Probably, it’s just appalling that we’ve gotten worst in baseball production out of RF for two straight years and are simply throwing a bunch of crap at the position and hoping for the best.  It’s appalling that we traded a cost-controlled, 2 to 3 win 2B and are replacing him with a 34 year old UT infielder who hits from the right side.  It’s appalling that we are doing nothing whatsoever to address our clear weakness against good RHP.  It’s appalling that we are afraid to make long-term commitments to impact talent but have given out two of three total 3+ year contracts to relievers and utility guys this offseason.  It’s appalling that we are going to lose a 5 win pitcher and think we can think we can replace his production with no external additions.  It’s appalling we think we can rely on Dallas Keuchel to be 1/5 of our rotation despite deteriorating stuff and a K rate that is quickly approaching 5 per 9.  It’s appalling that we think spending $50M on relievers is somehow a good allocation of our limited resources.  And ultimately, it’s appalling that these clowns might squander an amazing opportunity to bring another championship to the south side.

WHO ARE YOU, AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH CHICAGO WHITE SOX?????????

That said, you lit me up all offseason for posting some of the same things. I truly would have preferred to be eating crow, and to be singing Rick Hahn's praises for doing the right things. Its simply more fun to have an organization that's doing the right things, through good process and good outcomes.

I hope that we're wrong, and that RH was right to place his faith in a series of unlikely outcomes. I hope that Velasquez is a golden god, and that Harrison either takes a fuckton of roids. or finds the fountain of youth. I hope that Vaughn makes a quantum leap in performance, and that we have no injuries from our top guys. I hope that Lynn and Keuchel kick Father Time's ass, and we're all laughing our way to the WS.

Back in '05, I called my dad right after the last out to celebrate our victory. I told him, "I never thought I'd live to see this!"

He told me, "Neither did I!"

He's now 86, going on 87. The fucking COVID pandemic took away our chance to take him to the park for his 85th birthday. When I see the impossibly stupid shit this FO does, and I get riled up, I think about my dad, and him taking me to old comiskey when I was a kid. I pray he lives to see another WS win. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jose Ruiz has about as much of a track record of success as a reliever as Graveman. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jose Ruiz has about as much of a track record of success as a reliever as Graveman. 

Pretty much.  I don’t hate the Graveman signing when looking at it just on its own  but wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s bad this season.  We’ll see.  

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Pretty much.  I don’t hate the Graveman signing when looking at it just on its own  but wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s bad this season.  We’ll see.  

Thing is, even if he is good you're getting good for 50-70 innings and furthermore the value of those innings depends quite a bit on the starting rotation and offense.  It doesn't matter how good he is if he's entering a 3-5 ballgame in the 7th more often than not. It's just a stupid way to spend money, FFS.

• Quin locked this topic