Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This was reported by Bruce Levine.

Jerry Reinsdorf could be holding one of Rick Hahn's kids hostage until he cuts the payroll and Hahn would have still told Levine "Of course we don't need to cut payroll to afford Benintendi". You can't publicly go out and say "Of course we need to cut payroll now".

Ahh...I forgot it was Levine. I thought that payroll report thing was by some reputable writer.

You're right if it's Bruce then it was just a negotiation plant to make teams think that we were "fine" payroll wise when in reality JR probably threw a shoe at RHs head after the 10D signing and said "I said a hard payroll of 180M and you just made another signing ya shmuck!"

Trading relievers at their peak value is smart baseball generally. It isn't always the easiest sell to a fan base, but there are many examples of faltering bullpen arms. They come and go. We have some decent internal options. I reluctantly want to do a deal, but the return better be good, and one that fills a longer term need.

• Like 3

Just now, he gone. said:

Trading relievers at their peak value is smart baseball generally. It isn't always the easiest sell to a fan base, but there are many examples of faltering bullpen arms. They come and go. We have some decent internal options. I reluctantly want to do a deal, but the return better be good, and one that fills a longer term need.

The signs aren't exactly pointing up for Liam. I have no problem if they want to trade him, as long as they get something of fair value back that fits the team in 2023. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Pal said:

Not if it's mostly for salary relief.

I’d be stunned if this occurred. Hendriks might be their best trade asset. They could get a really good prospect haul. They aren’t trading Liam Hendriks for James Fucking McCann. What are we doing? I believe in trading relievers at their peak and if the White Sox choose to do that, I just don’t see the Mets as the destination. 2/29 isn’t a hindrance. It’s a bargain for one of the best relievers in baseball. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d be stunned if this occurred. Hendriks might be their best trade asset. They could get a really good prospect haul. They aren’t trading Liam Hendriks for James Fucking McCann. What are we doing? I believe in trading relievers at their peak and if the White Sox choose to do that, I just don’t see the Mets as the destination. 2/29 isn’t a hindrance. It’s a bargain for one of the best relievers in baseball. 

Completely agree, but I won't discount the cheapness of this organization. I've been waiting  for a corresponding move to follow the Benetendi signing since it happened. I think they are looking for a legit return, but relief is first and foremost. 

9 minutes ago, Pal said:

Completely agree, but I won't discount the cheapness of this organization. I've been waiting  for a corresponding move to follow the Benetendi signing since it happened. I think they are looking for a legit return, but relief is first and foremost. 

And they will choose relief over return push comes to shove.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yep .....more than likely.

That Lion in Texas guy says Angels are also in on LH.

They gave away Iglesias for free at the deadline last year...if they're actually interested in Hendriks, what a dumb franchise. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Liam has standalone value, why are we trading him for salary relief?

They didn't get 10D with getting salary relief elsewhere as the goal.  I think they are refining the roster and expect trades, FA acquisitions, and salary dumps.  The RH criticism invades every topic and it's not entertaining.  Let the offseason play out and then criticize to your hearts content.  I believe the club will spend about $200 million by the time it's done.  If I'm wrong...I'm wrong.  Liam isn't going anywhere without us receiving a haul IMO.  

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Liam has standalone value, why are we trading him for salary relief?

Because we're a fucking cheapskate mickey mouse operation down to the penny and there are absolutely no free lunches (10D) insofar as JR concerned, esp when the FO pushed his boy out.

Other than that, there are no reasons for trading LH for salary relief.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you need salary relief, trade Liam to the Jays for Jansen and you just cleared $10M.  The Sox do not need to give him away for nothing.  I can’t even imagine the contract he’d get right now if he were a free agent.

3/$48 from the Giants and then fail a physical and wind up with the Mets?

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man outside their top two I do not like the mets prospects

Their Minor League pitcher of the Year was a 3rd round draft pick in his 1st full season Dominic Hamel. Sox do need pitching but he isn't close yet. Pitched better in A+ than he did in A but probably a year or 2 away. He's 23.

If we're dead set on helping the Sox in 2023 , not sure how that works. Pick your poison from Escobar and McCaan and get 2 prospects ?

47 minutes ago, poppysox said:

They didn't get 10D with getting salary relief elsewhere as the goal.  I think they are refining the roster and expect trades, FA acquisitions, and salary dumps.  The RH criticism invades every topic and it's not entertaining.  Let the offseason play out and then criticize to your hearts content.  I believe the club will spend about $200 million by the time it's done.  If I'm wrong...I'm wrong.  Liam isn't going anywhere without us receiving a haul IMO.  

Is 10D Benintendi's nickname? Sounds like a bra size. 

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Their Minor League pitcher of the Year was a 3rd round draft pick in his 1st full season Dominic Hamel. Sox do need pitching but he isn't close yet. Pitched better in A+ than he did in A but probably a year or 2 away. He's 23.

If we're dead set on helping the Sox in 2023 , not sure how that works. Pick your poison from Escobar and McCaan and get 2 prospects ?

Right that’s the question. Otherwise I like Calvin Ziegler too