Sox working on signing a LF

CWSpalehoseCWS

2 hours ago, JoshPR said:

Would anybody be mad at signing benentendi?

Mad is strong, but considering that it would probably be the biggest FA expenditure in franchise history, it would be annoying that he's not even a great fit for the roster (lefty, sure, but yet another singles hitter)

• Like 2

It wasn't so long ago Bene10D was in the place of Davers now. Why didn't the Sox take him instead of Moncada. Obviously flawed, but he works a count and plays good defense. I think Conforto would cost less, so that has to interest JR. A big risk, but huge reward.  This guy turned down 9 figures not too long ago. Oops.

6 minutes ago, jasonxctf said:

Having (3) guys at the top of the order hitting .300+, isnt a bad situation/   :)

1. Anderson- SS

2. Benintendi- LF

3. Robert- CF

4. Jimenez- DH

5. Vaughn- 1B

6. Moncada- 3B

7. Grandal- C

8. TBD- 2B

9. Colas- RF

They had 3 guys hitting .300 at the top of the order for a significant stretch last season (Anderson/Robert/Vaughn, obviously injuries/regressions stopped it) and it was meaningless because nobody on the team hit for power

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

They had 3 guys hitting .300 at the top of the order for a significant stretch last season (Anderson/Robert/Vaughn, obviously injuries/regressions stopped it) and it was meaningless because nobody on the team hit for power

If Robert, TA, Eloy and Moncada can't play 125-140 games, they are screwed no matter who they sign.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Mad is strong, but considering that it would probably be the biggest FA expenditure in franchise history, it would be annoying that he's not even a great fit for the roster (lefty, sure, but yet another singles hitter)

If this team is to complete this year they need power from Robert, Eloy and Vaughn period. And if they get that Benintendi will compliment that nicely. Not to mention Benintendi can absolutely pop off 16 or 17 home runs which would've topped the ballclub last year. Gallo himself only hit 19.

13 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

If this team is to complete this year they need power from Robert, Eloy and Vaughn period. And if they get that Benintendi will compliment that nicely. Not to mention Benintendi can absolutely pop off 16 or 17 home runs which would've topped the ballclub last year. Gallo himself only hit 19.

I agree, but it's difficult to just bank on Eloy/Vaughn/Robert all hitting more home runs. I like the hitting coaches, but it would be nice to get a player that at least has a track record of hitting for significant power -- doesn't have to be Gallo

This is an honest question because I don’t know the answer…but is there a logical explanation to why Benintendi suddenly lost all power last year and you wouldn’t expect it to return? I see he broke his hamate bone late in the season with the Yankees, but that wouldn’t explain the entire season. But it would also be a little odd to assume that a 28 year suddenly lost all power without some sort of very serious injury that occurred. He’s played in 5 full mlb seasons and last year was the 1st time his SLG % dipped below .424 and he averaged 16.5 HR’s the other 4 seasons as well. Unless I’m missing something, I’m not sure why expecting him to revert back to the norm is so crazy.

And with Gallo I personally don’t think expecting him to revert back to ‘17-‘19 form is all that realistic. I think it would be more like hope he gets back to his 2021 form where he managed a .451 SLG % as an all or nothing power hitter. If he was a true 3 outcome player with a high OBP I could see the appeal, but he’s really not that.

Obviously just SLG % isn’t everything and the 20+ more HR’s Gallo will likely hit certainly mean something.  Just seems to me people have an idea of Joey Gallo in their heads that only existed for a small amount of time 3+ years ago.

I won’t be upset by any means if Gallo is signed, but also won’t be excited about it. 

• Like 1