Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

13 minutes ago, T R U said:

Generally when you hear your team just signed someone to the richest contract in team history you expect better than Andrew Benintendi. 

Not when your franchise’s largest contract is 25% shy of six figures.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

It is sad that after signing a free agent, the next move needs to be a trade for salary relief.  If it is to improve the team, fine.  If it is mostly because they need to lower payroll to accommodate the new salary, that sucks.

I don't think they'd allow themselves to go over their budget. They can either sustain the payroll as is or they have a deal already in place or at least very very close.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They actually play him pretty straight up. He's not a dead pull hitter but when he hits HR's he hits them to RCF and RF. He sprays the ball all over.

If anything it could hurt him if teams prioritize LHP now that LHB are more effective.  But he also has relatively neutral splits.  At best it is a wash.  

2 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't think they'd allow themselves to go over their budget. They can either sustain the payroll as is or they have a deal already in place or at least very very close.

So the signing was pending another deal to lower payroll?  Way to run a friggin window of contention.

7 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

If anything it could hurt him if teams prioritize LHP now that LHB are more effective.  But he also has relatively neutral splits.  At best it is a wash.  

If we think of Cleveland as our main competition in the division they are a pretty RH pitching staff as are the Twins. Plus hard to prioritize LHP when there's not that many of them. But Benintendi is a better hitter vs, RHP .

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Keep mind, balanced schedule next year. You can’t win the Central by beating up the Central.

But the other teams in the Central have to play that same balanced schedule. So I’d say beating up on the Central probably would mean you will win the division. The first place team could just have less wins than in previous years. 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The foodies are complete frauds.  I do think Hendriks gets dealt though.

If it were me, I’d do the following to wrap up the off-season:

• Trade Ramos, Vera/Mena & Sosa/Romy to TB for Lowe
  • Trade Hendriks to TOR for Jansen and a pitching prospect
  • Trade Zavala to TBD team for a live arm with options
  • Sign Adam Duvall to a 1/$7M deal
  • Sign Alex Reyes to a 1/$2M deal

Run with this for next year:

Lineup: 1) Anderson, SS | 2) Benintendi*, LF | 3) Vaughn, 1B | 4) Jimenez, DH | 5) Lowe, 2B* | 6) Robert, CF | 7) Moncada, 3B# | C) Jansen*, C | 9) Colas*, RF

Bench: IF) Gonzalez | OF) Duvall | UT) Garcia# | BC) Grandal#

Rotation: 1) Cease | 2) Lynn | 3) Giolito | 4) Kopech | 5) Clevinger

Bullpen: CL) Lopez | SU) Graveman | SU) Bummer* | MR) Kelly | MR) Diekman* | MR) Reyes | MR) Ruiz/Lambert | LR) Avila

Lowe with chronic back issues last year that never went away. I'm out 100% on acquiring him. His back injury zapped his power and that thing could be here to stay.