4/12 - Sox @ Twins: Let’s Win the Series

ChiSox59

The only good thing I can think of is the Sox have played four series, three on the road and not gotten swept.

That's it gang.

Sox by the way have had 10 total hits in the last two games.

If Moncada doesn't play Friday he'll have been out a week, without the Sox putting him on the IL, and playing shorthanded. Not that they have anyone in the minors they could call up to really help anyway.

This season is getting flushed right down the toilet.

We'll see what words of wisdom Hahn has to say about it all this weekend when he meets with the media. 

• Hawk 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Something has to give Friday or Saturday when they activate Eloy.  Maybe its a Burger or Sosa option.  But  Hanser certainly should have played himself off this roster the last 48 hours.  We'll have to see what they do. 

I'm assuming it's Burger that goes down. You need MI insurance more until TA is back, and potential ABs for Burger dry up quickly with Eloy and Yo returning.

It's not like there's a slate of lefty starters coming up either, and even if there was, you're not putting Eloy in the field fresh off an IL stint to make room for Burger at DH.

The more interesting question will be what happens when TA comes back, and that maybe depends on how much run Sosa gets and what he does with it. 

12 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

5-8
0-3-1 in series.
If this persists, they really would have an opportunity to retool.  But they'll salary dump instead.

The rebuild unless you count 2 post season appearances for the first time in team history is looking more and more like a bust, they've been nothing but a .500 team since mid-season of 2021 and the way it looks now will be lucky to be .500 this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

It's proof that the GM cannot properly construct a roster and should be fired. 

We literally have 15 years of evidence to tell us that as well. We aren't talking about small sample sizes here. 

I know Rick has limitations on him because of Jerry. We all do. 

You know who else has limitations? The Rays. The Brewers. The Twins. The Guardians. 

The Sox have a 183 million dollar payroll this season according to spotrac, good for 11th in the league. Top half. If you combined the payrolls of the Rays and Guardians, it still doesn't equal the Sox payroll. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

We literally have 15 years of evidence to tell us that as well. We aren't talking about small sample sizes here. 

You know who else has limitations? The Rays. The Brewers. The Twins. The Guardians. 

The Sox have a 183 million dollar payroll this season according to spotrac, good for 11th in the league. Top half. If you combined the payrolls of the Rays and Guardians, it still doesn't equal the Sox payroll. 

I meant  that he has enough pieces to compete just can't figure how to put it all together. 

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Hard to feel like it would matter either way when Hahn and Co would still be the ones making the moves.

That's probably true.
When they take their time, put in the effort and try, they are sometimes reasonably capable.  But they usually don't.

5 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Easy. 
LF - Beni
CF - Robert
1B - Vaughn
DH- Grandal
3B - Burger
RF - Colas
2B - Sosa
C - Zavala
SS - Andrus

This is a really needed win vs the division rival in first place. You do Not put sheets in RF (he could swap for Grandal at DH) and you don't put Alberto at 3B (why is burger even up if he won't start for yoan?) 

I'd swap out Sheets for Grandal at DH, but either way better than putting Sheets in RF.  

38 minutes ago, Tony said:

This all day. The White Sox are run poorly, and im not talking about JR I am talking about the man responsible for the roster, this is why they are what they are.

Edited by T R U

44 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I'm assuming it's Burger that goes down. You need MI insurance more until TA is back, and potential ABs for Burger dry up quickly with Eloy and Yo returning.

It's not like there's a slate of lefty starters coming up either, and even if there was, you're not putting Eloy in the field fresh off an IL stint to make room for Burger at DH.

The more interesting question will be what happens when TA comes back, and that maybe depends on how much run Sosa gets and what he does with it. 

Yea, probably.  

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Duran basically didn't do anything wrong on the 2 homers he gave up the past 2 days. Just goes to show that there's a lot of luck involved in pitching. 

I think he did, throwing mediocre breaking pitches both times with 100 mph + fast balls in his pocket.

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

I think he did, throwing mediocre breaking pitches both times with 100 mph + fast balls in his pocket.

Sosa hit a 101 MPH fastball on the black out. I think the breaking ball to Robert wasn't great, but I also don't think it could be classified as a hanger. 

55 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I'd swap out Sheets for Grandal at DH, but either way better than putting Sheets in RF.  

At the very least, I would like to see Sheets never play right field again. It will only embarrass him and the team. He has shown time and again he can't play the position. This is one problem the Sox have had. DH types with no positions. Nothing new.

• Like 1

Can someone please explain what Andrew Bennintendi Brings at the plate?  Everybody was so high on this guy when he signed.

I always thought of him as a patient hitter someone who works count, but that has not been the case. I always thought of him as a patient hitter someone who works count, but that has not been the case.

He doesn't drive-in runs, he doesn't hit home runs.

2 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Can someone please explain what Andrew Bennintendi Brings at the plate?  Everybody was so high on this guy when he signed.

I always thought of him as a patient hitter someone who works count, but that has not been the case. I always thought of him as a patient hitter someone who works count, but that has not been the case.

Good question. Was wondering the same myself. This dude got the biggest free agent deal in Sox history and will likely not even hit 25 homers over the life of the contract. 

8 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

We'd rather sign 1.5 WAR players to "value deals" then sign actual good players to "expensive deals'".

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am starting to get concerned about Pedro and Alberto. Hanser has shown no signs he is a major league quality defensive 3B. The options are certainly thin defensively without Moncada available, but have the last two days not been enough Hanser at 3B? Yikes. 

Hanser is the answer.  If you rearrange the letters in Hanser, you almost come up with Sure Hands.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sure seems like he’s lost any and all explosiveness 

I can't comment on that as I never paid any attention to him really prior to being a Sox. But when he signed I looked at his stats and basically figured he'd be a 1.5 WAR to 3 WAR player with a small chance he'd be replacement level in any given year. His BABIP drives his line and as you and others have noted he has little power, so that puts more pressure on his BABIP, which is pretty variable even for good hitters.

Knowing our luck, he'll have a 1 WAR year. I'd chalk it up to "luck" but given that pretty much every mediocre average regular type vet that's signed here over the last decade has under-performed the back of their baseball card imma say it's more than just bad luck and more like bad MLB scouting and bad coaching.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I can't comment on that as I never paid any attention to him really prior to being a Sox. But when he signed I looked at his stats and basically figured he'd be a 1.5 WAR to 3 WAR player with a small chance he'd be replacement level in any given year. His BABIP drives his line and as you and others have noted he has little power, so that puts more pressure on his BABIP, which is pretty variable even for good hitters.

Knowing our luck, he'll have a 1 WAR year. I'd chalk it up to "luck" but given that pretty much every mediocre average regular type vet that's signed here over the last decade has under-performed the back of their baseball card imma say it's more than just bad luck and more like bad MLB scouting and bad coaching.

Yet another Royals connection. 

Being compared to their 2017-22 operation is not exactly a compliment... with the exceptions of Witt and Singer. 

I will read this thread tonight. As of now after watching the highlights, LOL at the Sox defense. Poor Sheets out on an island in RF falling down and Vaughn doing about what one would expect at 1B. I can't imagine the Sox drawing more than 18,000 fans a night this season. Miserable rebuild continues. The baseball gods obviously didn't approve of the tank/rebuild attempt.

That said, Sosa baby!