Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

Only one I wouldn't trade is Robert.  White Sox could conceivably be good (but probably not lol) before his contract is up.

Robert is such a streaky hitter, I could easily see him flipping 180⁰ next year and being very mediocre at the plate. Sell high on him if you can ask for whatever you want 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

However - Keith Law was much higher on his defensive skills - which need to develop - than his power. He thinks the league he was in last year inflated optimism on the power and he may not have much more strength.

Ill leave it up to you all if you think this org can develop a raw defensive catcher.

Id say it’s possible, they sure have focused a lot of energy on developing catchers who clearly had no shot. 

Maybe there's something to this.  They developed Narvaez, who Tampa was struggling to develop.
They made a major league catcher, of sorts,, out of Zavala.
Collins didn't develop, but he had a swing-hitch.  They got what was gettable out of Yermin.
Now they have some talent to develop.

I don't see the need to hang on to Robert or Cease. The farm is so barren and there's no guarantee that they'll still be good by the time this team is truly ready to compete again. But I guess that's part of JR's schtick of making fans believe that the team is competitive. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Why stop with Cease and TA then? Robert should be traded as well since he will bring the biggest return. 

I sure as hell do turn them away cold if Rick Hahn is my GM. What good is more top prospects like Moncada and Kopech going to do to help the organization win? 

See ya Cease, Robert, Kopech, Vaughn, Burger, Eloy. 

Let's trade everyone away and do the propsect hoarding game again! 

There's a decent argument for trading Robert. You probably won't get the incredible value you'd want to move an all star with his level of control, but any team acquiring him would still give up a lot, and you'd remove all the risk of him getting hurt or struggling at any point in the next 4 years onto another roster. 

But that said..."what good is more top prospects going to do to help this organization"? - it's literally the only reason they were able to make any playoff appearances in the last decade. They were able to get there because they had enough cheap guys to go sign a few free agents, and that combination together was enough to make even these fools a wild card caliber team. That should tell you about how necessary the strategy is sometimes, it actually got a Rick Hahn/Tony LaRussa team into the playoffs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Robert is such a streaky hitter, I could easily see him flipping 180⁰ next year and being very mediocre at the plate. Sell high on him if you can ask for whatever you want 

He is still relatively young so I think he could become a more consistently good hitter.  I would be surprised if he did a complete 180 next year.  I would agree if you're going to trade him now would be a good time.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GradMc said:

Then let him run the Kane County Cougars. That's his peak.

I think that's what over 99% of the fans want, besides the Hahnbots, family, friends, etc. But it's probably not going to happen, it sucks but at this is better than what I expected for a trade.

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I have Quero in the 70s just ahead of Schultz in my prospect rankings for Fantasy baseball (pretty good correlation). However after sleeping on this, I am not exactly a fan of this bc trading for a catcher at any level (bigs or minors) is the absolute worst thing to do. Now if that was literally the best offer we could get for 2 months of Gio then ill take it as both Quero and Bush do have proxmity and decent ceilings going for them.

Where does Burger fit in on your "stars" list, tho? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I would have traded Cease and kept Giolito.

And what if Giolito didn't want to sign an extension and would rather bet on himself in FA, and then he walks for nothing but a 3rd round comp pick?

Based on the Sox record and Giolito's contract status, retaining him would have been absolutely insane.  You can say 'well, we should have extended him" all you want, but they didn't so its a rather moot point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where does Burger fit in on your "stars" list, tho? 

Top 15 3B and probably top 15 2B if moved there permanently. Just like with Colas his approach at the plate is gonna dictate how good he can be.  Being more patient and not chasing would skyrocket him.  

I think we are seeing Colas turn a corner as he has had a number of really good ABs lately and some real hard hit outs (will turn into hits soon)

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And what if Giolito didn't want to sign an extension and would rather bet on himself in FA, and then he walks for nothing but a 3rd round comp pick?

Based on the Sox record and Giolito's contract status, retaining him would have been absolutely insane.  You can say 'well, we should have extended him" all you want, but they didn't so its a rather moot point. 

The worst kept secret in Chicago was that Giolito wouldn’t be brought back as a free agent

Remember when they said we couldn’t afford Harper and Machado because we needed money to resign our players down the line and here we are down the line and practically none of them are worth resigning. 

• Thanks 5

51 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

This is what I'm talking about baby! Let's trade away Cease and Robert and win the prospect ranking game again! 

Will you guys buy tickets to the parade that Hahn throws once the Sox get a top 3 farm system again?? 

I know you're just trolling now, but based on the last two years+, especially the results this season...what gives you ANY hope that 2024 will be a competitive year of White Sox baseball? The "core" is not good and there is nothing in the farm system to help. 

No one, and I mean NO ONE, is pining for another rebuild, especially at the hands of Rick Hahn. We've been down that road before. It's not going to work. But building a competitive roster to compete for a World Series isn't going to work either, he's not capable of it. The only hope is for everyone to get fired, outside of that, it's the same bullshit year in and year out. 

Why is that so hard to understand? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Why is he the "exact type of player you want" on this team?  We're going to suck.  Gio can be a dominant, top of the rotation kind of pitcher....but he can also suck ass.  Should a rebuilding team be throwing $25-30M a year at a SP who will be 2-3 years into the extension before the roster is even close to being ready to compete?

I can't believe folks are actually arguing that he should have been resigned.  A different team with a different owner?  Sure, maybe it's the right choice.  But we're the White Sox and we have Jerry fucking Reinsdorf as an owner.  An owner who has yet to sign ANY PLAYER to a 9 figure salary...not even 80% of a 9 figure salary.  Time to accept who we root for and adjust your expectations.

Thank goodness you came in here to protect Jerry's fictitious internet money.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I know you're just trolling now, but based on the last two years+, especially the results this season...what gives you ANY hope that 2024 will be a competitive year of White Sox baseball? The "core" is not good and there is nothing in the farm system to help. 

No one, and I mean NO ONE, is pining for another rebuild, especially at the hands of Rick Hahn. We've been down that road before. It's not going to work. But building a competitive roster to compete for a World Series isn't going to work either, he's not capable of it. The only hope is for everyone to get fired, outside of that, it's the same bullshit year in and year out. 

Why is that so hard to understand? 

They’re insane for not trading Cease.  2022 was likely a career year, and I really don’t like how his velocity is going down already.  

• Like 4

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic