It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

8 hours ago, hankchifan said:

One of the first Getz announcements is that Pedro is coming back as manager next season.  That is also a bad joke.  I guess JR wants to honor contract so he does not have to pay for two managers?

The timing of this is supposed to show that this was Getz's call, and that he has some independence. Instead, it looks like he is taking JR's orders on this. This is not a great start. This is just another indication that this is a bad hire.

What another garbage bunch of words from this organization 

I'm sorry, but getz talking about the failures and gaps of this organization as if he was on an island not being a part of those failures and gaps, that sucks a lot.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

What another garbage bunch of words from this organization 

I'm sorry, but getz talking about the failures and gaps of this organization as if he was on an island not being a part of those failures and gaps, that sucks a lot.  

I still think it’s so insulting that JR said it takes a GM a year to evaluate players.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

If Getz is now the SVP/GM , then I am rooting that he can start to move this team upward. Most of us are true White Sox fans , so we should hope that Getz starts to mold this franchise into a competitive team.  Probably won't happen next year but we hope to see progress in multiple areas of the organization.  Like many fans, I have my concerns that JR doesn't have a clue what he is doing. But as a fan, I hope Getz can start to turn this team around.  We will see fairly soon how much money is put into this team to start  building  Robert's new team around him. 

Just root for the Cubs instead. They're looking good this year. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I still think it’s so insulting that JR said it takes a GM a year to evaluate players.  

I think JR is so used to failures within his organization that he truly believes that at this point. Hell his previous GM hasn’t been able to evaluate players at 2B and RF in over a decade now. 

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s truly incredible how they’re making it seem like Grifol had literally nothing to do with their struggles this year.

is it? They are keeping grifol because it wasn't his fault. They are promoting getz because it wasn't his fault. They can't hire anyone from outside because they won't understand it's not our fault. 

It's all the same story.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s truly incredible how they’re making it seem like Grifol had literally nothing to do with their struggles this year.

Until every last player acquired by Rick Hahn is out of the organization, we're gonna hear the excuse for both Getz and Pedro, "well they didn't acquire those players."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

is it? They are keeping grifol because it wasn't his fault. They are promoting getz because it wasn't his fault. They can't hire anyone from outside because they won't understand it's not our fault. 

It's all the same story.

Not incredible at all. This is the White Sox way. In their warped minds everyone in the organization is doing a good job. Those of us that live in reality take a look at the standings and see a different picture. 

This franchise is beyond f&cked. 

Edited by LittleHurtCG

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Until every last player acquired by Rick Hahn is out of the organization, we're gonna hear the excuse for both Getz and Pedro, "well they didn't acquire those players."

Yet Colas was “developed” by Getz and managed only in the majors by Pedro seems to be the one guy they can’t stand 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yet Colas was “developed” by Getz and managed only in the majors by Pedro seems to be the one guy they can’t stand 

They're not big on Sosa either.
How about dumping Grandal, if they're serious about non-performers.
Or Clevinger just to send a message that they disagree with their predecessors and won't  accommodate the foul.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don't want to split hairs, but I think Jerry means evaluate the entire organization, get to know who is who, who does what, what else needs to be staffed, etc. That would take some time, but I have no idea why would you want to rush this. Well, I have some idea, I guess I just don't agree with it. 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

James - What is your honest assessment of this hire and press conference yesterday?

It's very disheartening because of the insular nature and how Jerry Reinsdorf is afraid of outside perspective. Getz could be good at the job though and it's an improvement solely due to the fact that there's a single decision maker instead of KW/Hahn where none of us knew who was doing what. Getz is going to bring in multiple outside hires. Changes to scouting, PD, etc are coming. I don't know that it'll work and he's definitely not the best candidate but I don't think he's destined to fail. There are lots of solid prospects in the high minors, assets to trade in the big leagues and money to spend. They'll be bad next year but there's a real chance to win again in 2025. I thought Getz was fine yesterday and on both radio stations. Reinsdorf was a disaster but at least he talked. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's very disheartening because of the insular nature and how Jerry Reinsdorf is afraid of outside perspective. Getz could be good at the job though and it's an improvement solely due to the fact that there's a single decision maker instead of KW/Hahn where none of us knew who was doing what. Getz is going to bring in multiple outside hires. Changes to scouting, PD, etc are coming. I don't know that it'll work and he's definitely not the best candidate but I don't think he's destined to fail. There are lots of solid prospects in the high minors, assets to trade in the big leagues and money to spend. They'll be bad next year but there's a real chance to win again in 2025. I thought Getz was fine yesterday and on both radio stations. Reinsdorf was a disaster but at least he talked. 

I really hope Getz brings in outside hires with people tied to organizations with track records of having multiple stretches of winning seasons, such as STL, TB, LAD, ATL, HOU. Bring in the people who know how to win in today's game and have experience in doing so. If he does that, I will be on Getz' side. Right now...I have gone from a die-hard watching almost every game fan to a casual fan who just reads message boards and listens to podcasts. It sucks that I am so lukewarm about this team and have been for some time. I want that excitement back. The initial hire of Getz does not garner any excitement. And Jerry saying "we won't spend Ohtani rates," while quite obviously they weren't going to, it isn't a great way to get your fans excited about the future. 

Edited by ScootsMcGoots

JR owes it to White Sox fans to win now, so that's what were going to do! Awesome!

So were going to make a big FA splash? Nope, off the table.

Ok, well we need 4 starting pitchers were going to make some moves to bring in established SP through free agency? Nope, not going to commit to those years.

Hmm, well were going to sign some players? Maybe, depends on how much it costs. More likely we will trade from the ABUNDANCE OF TALENT on this roster and farm system.

How is there no one in this organization or in JR's life that can sit him down and say "Your franchise is an absolute disaster, please clean house if you want to try and salvage what you have left."

None of this is really Getz's fault.  No, he's not qualified, and JR's reasoning behind the promotion is just dumb.  But he's in the position now, and he has quite the task ahead of him.  As others have stated, if he makes some good hires and surrounds himself with knowledgeable people with experience in winning and building good teams, he'll be better off. 

Obviously he'll be severely handcuffed on spending.  And, sure, the Sox do spend money, like Jerry said.  But they spend it on the wrong pieces.  A team with a payroll as high as the theirs is should not be nearly as bad as they are.  There will be some tough decisions ahead, and hopefully Getz makes some good ones.

I just picture him getting cornered at the winter meetings and being bullied by other GMs.  Hopefully he has some people with him to make the right trades and go after the right free agents.  No friends and family plans to lure bigger free agents.

The White Sox have emotionally damaged a lot of us this season.  I for one am glad the season is almost over and I can focus on football.

• bmags unpinned this topic